Welcome to our new forum!

David Nahmani

Since this new forum UI, I noticed that when searching for a Google reference (on iPad / double-tap / tap-on-Definition) from within the writing/editing area, Google returns a "400" error...

image.jpeg

I wonder if it is a similar issue related to the "404" error mentionned earlier?

Hey Atlas007, so I'm not sure I understood your issue, but since the 404 error related to https (SSL Certificate) is now resolved, was this also resolved for you? If not, please detail how to reproduce... when I select a word on the iPad and click "Define" it works as expected, but Google is not involved, so I'm not sure if you're using some browser extension or plug-in...? Or is that when using Chrome on the iPad?

Since this new forum UI, I noticed that when searching for a Google reference (on iPad / double-tap / tap-on-Definition) from within the writing/editing area, Google returns a "400" error...

image.jpeg

I wonder if it is a simeilar issue related to the "404" error mentionned earlier?

Hey Atlas007, so I'm not sure I understood your issue, but since the 404 error related to https (SSL Certificate) is now resolved, was this also resolved for you? If not, please detail how to reproduce... when I select a word on the iPad and click "Define" it works as expected, but Google is not involved, so I'm not sure if you're using some browser extension or plug-in...? Or is that when using Chrome on the iPad?

I'll do. 

Quoting your post, In the quoted area of your post,  I selected the word Google ( could be any other) , then selected "Definition" then selected "Search on the web". Then indeed I got the Error 404 

I'll do. 

Quoting your post, In the quoted area of your post,  I selected the word Google ( could be any other) , then selected "Definition" then selected "Search on the web". Then indeed I got the Error 404 

Thanks for helping stratquebec. I can't reproduce this here? And also, is it a 404 or a 400? What is the URL field in your browser when you see the 400 or 404? 

On my iPad, I select a word and tap Define, then Search Web, and that takes me to a google search result page for the selected word. 

I'll do. 

Thanks for helping stratquebec. I can't reproduce this here? And also, is it a 404 or a 400? What is the URL field in your browser when you see the 400 or 404? 

On my iPad, I select a word and tap Define, then Search Web, and that takes me to a google search result page for the selected word. 

A Google Error 400 indeed that is on any word I do a search. I use Safari on an iPad2. 

Maybe this: My iPad is in french!

image.thumb.png.d389f01e5fa834ed307778fa28f96070.png

image.thumb.png.4b314c80267b6f0a6099695f341c9ced.png

Eric, David, did you check my remark above about topics icons not being active (i.e. moving to the last unread post when clicked) when topics are displayed in the "Your posts" view (instead of the standard forum view)?

You're right Arnaud, clicking the icon does not work when on the "Your posts" page. I'll have a look.

And I notice that clicking the icon doesn't work when  'last unread post' is clicked from the 'Index Page',

I am using an iPad 3rd gen. (model MD368C/A) with iOS v.9.3.2 (13F69), using Safari without any added extension or plug-in (AFAIK, I don't know/think if it's possible on an iPad?).

As specified in my previous post and confirmed by stratquebec, Google still returns an error 400, from search commands (select a word on the iPad and click "Define") only when performed from within the user typing/entry area. Doing that search command, from a word selected outside the user typing/entry area works normally (Google returning a list of web links suggestions).

Here is what is pasted (automatically) on Safari's url request field when a (select a word on the iPad and click "Define") is performed on the word "Disable" (without the quotes "") located outside the user typing/entry area: 

Disable

Now, here is what is pasted (automatically) on Safari's url request field when a (select a word on the iPad and click "Define") is performed on the word "Disable" (without the quotes "") located inside the user typing/entry area: 

HOME ARTICLES CLASSES FORUMS    FAQ 1    Home  Board index  Music Software  Logic Pro X Welcome to our new forum! Post a reply    View source Maximize Bold Italic Underline Strikethrough Subscript Superscript Align left Center Align right Bullet list Numbered list Font Name Font Size Font Color Remove Formatting Insert an image Code Insert a Quote Insert a link Unlink Insert an emoticon Insert a YouTube video Insert a Vimeo video         Options Attachments   Disable BBCode  Disable smilies  Do not automatically parse URLs  Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)  Notify me when a reply is posted Expand view Topic review: Welcome to our new forum!  Re: Welcome to our new forum! by Eric Cardenas » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 am  Yes.  I belive this is an issue with the list views of the latest PhpBB (3.1).  I believe David is inquiring about this. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by Mark R » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:14 am  Arnaud wrote wrote: Eric, David, did you check my remark above about topics icons not being active (i.e. moving to the last unread post when clicked) when topics are displayed in the "Your posts" view (instead of the standard forum view)?   You're right Arnaud, clicking the icon does not work when on the "Your posts" page. I'll have a look.  And I notice that clicking the icon doesn't work when  'last unread post' is clicked from the 'Index Page', Re: Welcome to our new forum! by stratquebec » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:06 pm  Same problem if I use my iPad in english. Define find nothing no matter the word it is searching for and Search the web result is an error 400. It happens only in a reply. No problem if a do searh on any word when I'm not replying to a post.  Weird++ Re: Welcome to our new forum! by stratquebec » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm  David Nahmani wrote: stratquebec wrote: I'll do.  Quoting your post, In the quoted area of your post,  I selected the word Google ( could be any other) , then selected "Definition" then selected "Search on the web". Then indeed I got the Error 404   Thanks for helping stratquebec. I can't reproduce this here? And also, is it a 404 or a 400? What is the URL field in your browser when you see the 400 or 404?  On my iPad, I select a word and tap Define, then Search Web, and that takes me to a google search result page for the selected word.   A Google Error 400 indeed that is on any word I do a search. I use Safari on an iPad2.  Maybe this: My iPad is in french! ATTACHMENTS  image.png (237.43 KiB) Viewed 123 times  image.png (52.08 KiB) Viewed 123 times Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:30 pm  stratquebec wrote: I'll do.  Quoting your post, In the quoted area of your post,  I selected the word Google ( could be any other) , then selected "Definition" then selected "Search on the web". Then indeed I got the Error 404   Thanks for helping stratquebec. I can't reproduce this here? And also, is it a 404 or a 400? What is the URL field in your browser when you see the 400 or 404?  On my iPad, I select a word and tap Define, then Search Web, and that takes me to a google search result page for the selected word.  Re: Welcome to our new forum! by stratquebec » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:23 pm  David Nahmani wrote: Atlas007 wrote: Since this new forum UI, I noticed that when searching for a Google reference (on iPad / double-tap / tap-on-Definition) from within the writing/editing area, Google returns a "400" error... image.jpeg  I wonder if it is a simeilar issue related to the "404" error mentionned earlier?  Hey Atlas007, so I'm not sure I understood your issue, but since the 404 error related to https (SSL Certificate) is now resolved, was this also resolved for you? If not, please detail how to reproduce... when I select a word on the iPad and click "Define" it works as expected, but Google is not involved, so I'm not sure if you're using some browser extension or plug-in...? Or is that when using Chrome on the iPad?  I'll do.  Quoting your post, In the quoted area of your post,  I selected the word Google ( could be any other) , then selected "Definition" then selected "Search on the web". Then indeed I got the Error 404  Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:56 pm  Atlas007 wrote: Since this new forum UI, I noticed that when searching for a Google reference (on iPad / double-tap / tap-on-Definition) from within the writing/editing area, Google returns a "400" error... image.jpeg  I wonder if it is a similar issue related to the "404" error mentionned earlier?  Hey Atlas007, so I'm not sure I understood your issue, but since the 404 error related to https (SSL Certificate) is now resolved, was this also resolved for you? If not, please detail how to reproduce... when I select a word on the iPad and click "Define" it works as expected, but Google is not involved, so I'm not sure if you're using some browser extension or plug-in...? Or is that when using Chrome on the iPad? Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 pm  Eriksimon wrote: On the signature text thing: maybe simply make it all italics? Or perhaps use a different font?  I have always liked the Georgia font. Italics and standard. Looks good even in this "size" 2.  I like this idea, I'll have to play with it. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:30 pm  stardustmedia wrote: Another idea to improve the workflow: When adding an attachement, it'd be nice to be able to drag and drop files into the "area", instead of having to open the file dialog.   Definitely. Noted. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:29 pm  stardustmedia wrote: Don't know if you can so something about that: On my mobile (Galaxy S3, browser Chrome) the buttons look cluttered, like not properly aligned. Maybe it's possible to make them dynamically stretch to the window size on mobile devices (not pads though).  Good suggestion. I'll queue it in.  Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm  I've added quick scroll up/down buttons at the bottom right of long forum pages. Should help with long threads, especially on the phone or tablet. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:46 pm  Arnaud wrote: Eric, David, did you check my remark above about topics icons not being active (i.e. moving to the last unread post when clicked) when topics are displayed in the "Your posts" view (instead of the standard forum view)?  You're right Arnaud, clicking the icon does not work when on the "Your posts" page. I'll have a look. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by David Nahmani » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:41 pm  stardustmedia wrote: When browsing with my mobile I'd like to have a bigger click area. (...) I'd say that when I'm on this page, where the threads are shown, I don't want to see the thread starter's profile (in 99.9% of the cases), but the thread itself. So I'd like to have a "click area" as marked cyan in the screenshot.  That's a great suggestion, I'll see what can be done. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by Eric Cardenas » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:06 pm  Yes. SSL is fixed.  Re: Welcome to our new forum! by stratquebec » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 pm  "Old" forum's https links seems to be redirected normaly from now on. Like this one: viewtopic.php?t=117859&p=604119 Re: Welcome to our new forum! by stardustmedia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:27 am  When browsing with my mobile I'd like to have a bigger click area. At the moment I have to click exactly the thread title (see screenshot), which can be a little cumbersome when using the mobile with only one hand (trying to click it with the thumb while holding the mobile). On top of that, if you accidentally hit the user name, you're forwarded to his profile.   I'd say that when I'm on this page, where the threads are shown, I don't want to see the thread starter's profile (in 99.9% of the cases), but the thread itself. So I'd like to have a "click area" as marked cyan in the screenshot. This will make it way easier and faster to browse with a mobile.   The question is, can the responsive design change that behavior depending on the used device... I hope so    Screenshot_2016-07-29-07-24-08.png (56 KiB) Viewed 93 times Re: Welcome to our new forum! by Arnaud » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 am   Hi,  Eric, David, did you check my remark above about topics icons not being active (i.e. moving to the last unread post when clicked) when topics are displayed in the "Your posts" view (instead of the standard forum view)?  Cheers, Arnaud Re: Welcome to our new forum! by stardustmedia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:19 am  On a computer I still have to get used to it, although I like the overall impression. On mobile devices the usability and readability is great. Way better than before. Re: Welcome to our new forum! by defkam » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:34 pm  Very pleasant. Good work Re: Welcome to our new forum! by deckard1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:27 pm   New forum looks fantastic!!!!!!!   Home  Board index  Music Software  Logic Pro X  Delete all board cookies Members The team Contact us Forum Members The team Contact us Logic Pro X Classes Sept 19-21 Logic Pro X 101 in Los Angeles, CA - U.S.A. Logic Pro X Book Buy on Amazon About us  We are an Apple Authorized Training Center located in Los Angeles, CA, and owned by David Nahmani, author of the official Apple Pro Training Series book "Logic Pro X: Professional Music Production". We offer Logic Pro X classes in Los Angeles, CA, Dallas, TX and Miami, FL. 

As you can see in my previous (lenghty) post, it seems that when a select/define command is issued on a word located inside the user typing/editing area, the new forum UI gets confused and select(copy/paste) the content of the entire web page, instead of only the actually selected word. The Google 400 error return is therefore understandable (with such a huge request)...

That problem is not happening when the select/define command is issued on an identical word outside the user typing/editing area of the new forum UI.

Also, I don't think the source of the problem is related (specifically) to Google. 

I noticed that even the iPad's internal dictionary is not behaving the same, depending on the word's location (inside vs outside the forum's user typing/editing area), used when the select/define command is issued. 

When the select/define command is used on a word located outside the user typing/editing area, the iPad returns the related appropriate definition. 

OTOH, when the select/define command is used on an identical word located inside the user typing/editing area, the iPad returns a No Definition available, instead of some appropriate definition.

The iPad copy command seems to work appropriately either inside or outside the user typing/editing area; that is my workaround in the meantime...

Thanks Atlas007 for all the details! Very helpful.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this on my end - which makes it challenging to troubleshoot the issue. Let me make sure I get this right?

On my iPad, I click the three dots at the top right of your lengthy post, and in the pop-up menu I click "Edit". I tap-hold a word inside the text editor, then tap "Select", which highlights the word I tapped. I tap "Define", which gives me a definition of the word I tapped, then I tap "Search Web" which gives me a Google search result page for the word I tapped.

I notice that in your Google error page, there's nothing but an SSL lock icon in your URL field. When I do the same thing as you, I can see the same icon, but I can also see the word I selected in the URL field next to it.

Let me make sure I get this right?

On my iPad, I click the three dots at the top right of your lengthy post, and in the pop-up menu I click "Edit". I tap-hold a word inside the text editor, then tap "Select", which highlights the word I tapped. I tap "Define", which gives me a definition of the word I tapped, then I tap "Search Web" which gives me a Google search result page for the word I tapped.

The procedure you describe is exactly what I fumbly depicted...

I notice that in your Google error page, there's nothing but an SSL lock icon in your URL field. When I do the same thing as you, I can see the same icon, but I can also see the word I selected in the URL field next to it.

When I click on the SSL icon, in the Safari URL field that padlock icon disappear and part of that very long text (that could fit in that field) I compulsively pasted appear (in the Safari URL field).

Which iOS/iPad model/browser configuration are you using?

The issue in a Windows XP / Firefox configuration is not reproducible either.

So I guess it has something to do with my (and stratquebec's) iOS/Safari/new Forum UI configuration...

So I guess it has something to do with my (and stratquebec's) iOS/Safari/new Forum UI configuration...

it's cookie related. If I disable the cookies (always block),  everything's fine. The quote area has the "old" look.

With cookies enabled, if I use DuckDuckGo as search engine I get a cookie relate error message.

Screenshots to follow.

image.thumb.png.34c4af8680279f9a089f9d285f48871a.png

it's cookie related. If I disable the cookies (always block),  everything's fine. The quote area has the "old" look.

With cookies enabled, if I use DuckDuckGo as search engine I get a cookie relate error message.

Screenshots to follow.

image.thumb.png.0053f7060b511ff8a42addb105ad733a.png

I deleted the history and all web sites data. No luck. Still the same David.

Another thing: When loging into the forum, it takes at least five to 6 taps in the grayed username field before it beconmes white. Even then, I need to tap a couple of times more to get the cursor showing up. If I disable JavaScript, everything's fine again.

JavaScript is the keyword here I would say.

Another thing: When loging into the forum, it takes at least five to 6 taps in the grayed username field before it beconmes white.

There's no need for the field to become white. Just tap it once, and start typing. It would be nice if the field became white when tapped, but that's not how it was designed, so that's not the expected behavior right now.

I'm not sure how to help on that one - you're the first to report that issue and it works as expected on any device I've tried it: tap and the cursor appears. Starting typing and the field becomes white.

I deleted the history and all web sites data. No luck. Still the same David.

Not sure what browser you're using or what you did exactly. Deleting history won't help here, and web site data could mean a few different things... Did you specifically remove the 'logicprohelp' cookies?

For example in Firefox, choose Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > remove individual cookies, type logicprohelp in the search box and click Remove All.

740298727_ScreenShot2016-07-31at12_10_49PM.thumb.png.4d329f4be44fc1ae5507d23f415bbea3.png

There's no cookies directory accesible on an iPad, mine at least. Did Remove all websites data in the Advanced Safari settings. There was I think only one LogicProHelp in list.

iPad,2 Latest Safari, latest iOS 9.3.3.

With JavaScript disabled, the username/password background boxes becomes white an the cursor shows up as soon as I type in the boxes.

Well, David, JavaScript seems to be the bad boy. I'll try a litlle later this week with my wife's iPad air and will report back.

image.thumb.png.56c3945b4c9fd1493acf5685c1f95685.png

Edited by stratquebec

There's no cookies directory accesible on an iPad, mine at least. Did Remove all websites data in the Advanced Safari settings.

iPad,2 Latest Safari, latest  iOS 9.3.3.

With JavaScript disabled, the username/password background boxes becomes white an the cursor shows up as soon as I type in the boxes.

Well, David, JavaScript seems to be the bad boy. I'll try a litlle later this week with my wife's iPad air and will report back.

Oh yes iPad, I forgot, sorry. Well then I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot this. 

As for the login box, I can't reproduce on my iPhone or my iPad. A single tap makes the keyboard appear and I can type my username or password. So here again, hard to troubleshoot something I cannot reproduce. But do let me know if you find out more details. 

Oh and btw, the login problem I'm talking about (need to tap many times in the username box before something happen) happens only on the login page displayed when I want to quote a post being not yet logged in. (see screen capture). The login works normaly using the forum login.

I noticed that once I selected Remember me or Hide my Online status, I can tap in the username box ant the cursor shows up.

So selecting one of these options toggles an event that enables something somewhere in the phpBB quote function call. The define issue remains though and seems related to how js handles the strings inside the quote function in the phpBB source code.

I installed Firefox for iOS and it's the same problem.