logic takes 50G of Ram usage...

rockman84413

Hi I'm running Logic Pro as a instrument rack , so I have 15 instrument tracks of Logic sounds in my project. If I don't play any sounds then it's fine, but as long as I keep playing from another DAW (cubase sends midi to Logic), Logic seems working fine and sounds great, but my machine will become more and more heavy and I'll notice OS drive's space is not enough, then I check the activity monitor and found out Logic is taking 50G Ram... Is this a known bug? Anyway we can avoid this?

In my templates,these are just normal logic instruments like Voices, Alchemy, Sculpture , Ultrabeat, etc., nothing special  (Due to some fact I can't upload and share this project session with you guys, .....sorry)_

You have, what, 64G of RAM in your computer?

Although I am not an authority on this, I would point out that computer operating systems (OS/X) are programmed to be lazy when it comes to memory:  "if you've got it, use it."  If there is no pressure being applied to the memory resource by another active (and also memory-hungry) application, OS/X won't stand in its way.  (Only when and if another application does appear, will OS/X step in and begin to broker their competing demands for what has now become a limited, and limiting, shared resource.)

Applications like Logic are also lazy, when they can be.  "Timing is everything" in their world, and they don't do things that they don't have to.  ("It took time to bring that data into RAM ... maybe you'll use it again soon, allowing us to avoid another disk-operation if it's still there.")

Now, in your post you also talk about disk-drive space, which is of course not the same thing.  Please clarify.  Instrument-sound files are (very) big.  You simply must have drive-space sufficient to store them all, and, in the case of external drives, an interface fast enough to access them as quickly as Logic may require.

You have, what, 64G of RAM in your computer?

Although I am not an authority on this, I would point out that computer operating systems (OS/X) are programmed to be lazy when it comes to memory:  "if you've got it, use it."  If there is no pressure being applied to the memory resource by another active (and also memory-hungry) application, OS/X won't stand in its way.  (Only when and if another application does appear, will OS/X step in and begin to broker their competing demands for what has now become a limited, and limiting, shared resource.)

Applications like Logic are also lazy, when they can be.  "Timing is everything" in their world, and they don't do things that they don't have to.  ("It took time to bring that data into RAM ... maybe you'll use it again soon, allowing us to avoid another disk-operation if it's still there.")

Now, in your post you also talk about disk-drive space, which is of course not the same thing.  Please clarify.  Instrument-sound files are (very) big.  You simply must have drive-space sufficient to store them all, and, in the case of external drives, an interface fast enough to access them as quickly as Logic may require.

Thanks but I don't think you've answered my question... And I do have enough space to storage the instruments on an external hard drive, but it is the OS drive which got eaten the space while Logic is going crazy

(Due to some fact I can't upload and share this project session with you guys, .....sorry)_

What happens when you attempt to? This would be the best way to see what's going on exactly. Make sure you first compress the Logic project file only, not the entire Logic project folder: control-click the file in the Finder and choose Compress... then attach the .zip file here. 

• 3 years later...

Hi!

I'm 4 years later but I have the same issue, the more I work, the more logic takes up RAM and ends up being slow and laggy. I open my session and playback with around 4gb of ram usage and after a couple of minutes it jumps to 20,30,40 etc. I really don't understand what the problem is. Thank you!

Hi!

I'm 4 years later but I have the same issue, the more I work, the more logic takes up RAM and ends up being slow and laggy. I open my session and playback with around 4gb of ram usage and after a couple of minutes it jumps to 20,30,40 etc. I really don't understand what the problem is. Thank you!

Is it with all the sessions or a particular one?

A lot of times these issues can be traced to a specific 3rd party plugin that's wreaking havoc.

Hi!

Is it with all the sessions or a particular one?

A lot of times these issues can be traced to a specific 3rd party plugin that's wreaking havoc.

The issue is occurring in all the sessions. I’ve tried lowering my amount of undo and re save my session without infinite emptiness after the song. Seems to help a bit for now. Before doing this I tried removing third party plugins one by one and the results were not really useful