Key commands have changed since the LPX release!?

David Nahmani

Anyone else noticed that the default/official key commands have changed since the release of Logic Pro X? My guess is that the change occured with 10.0.4 but I'm not 100% sure.

To view default key commands, choose Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Presets > U.S. or open the key command window and choose Options > Initialized.

Some examples:

T used to open the Tool menu, now it toggles the Editors.

Option-1 now opens the Tool menu.

D opened the Lists area, now it deselects all.

Shift-spacebar was Play from selection, now it's Play from left window edge.

no, not here. definitely.

Maybe you were using your Logic 9 key commands? That change has been discussed around here since Logic X came out:

Most Important New Key Commands:

• T = Show/Hide Tool menu

• Command-click Cycle area = Swap Locators

• Command-drag upper 1/2 of ruler = Create Skip Cycle

• Control-M = Mute regions/notes

• M = Mute track

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97574&start=0

J.

Maybe you were using your Logic 9 key commands?

i'm always using my own start template. i created this years ago in logic 5 on PC. then adapted it in logic 8 and now in LX. it seems that my keycommands where "transmitted" on this way from version to version. i've never thought about it.

but as i said: it changed with the update from 10.0.3 to 10.0.4.

e.g. i've always had "m" for muting region and notes. after the update it was ^m

the same with solo (^s instead of s).

i'm always using my own start template. i created this years ago in logic 5 on PC. then adapted it in logic 8 and now in LX.

I guess you mean custom key command preset when you say your "own start template"?

it seems that my keycommands where "transmitted" on this way from version to version.

When first opening Logic Pro X on a computer that has custom key command presets created in previous versions of Logic, you would get a dialog asking if you wanted to continue to use those key commands or switch to the new Logic Pro X key commands. I think you either didn't realize you clicked to continue with your old key commands, or for some reason you simply didn't get that dialog.

but as i said: it changed with the update from 10.0.3 to 10.0.4.

e.g. i've always had "m" for muting region and notes. after the update it was ^m

the same with solo (^s instead of s).

Regardless, it's been Control-M for muting regions and notes since 10.0.0.

What's being discussed here, however, is that key commands that were already new in Logic Pro X, have changed between Logic Pro X subversions.

J.

What's being discussed here, however, is that key commands that were already new in Logic Pro X, have changed between Logic Pro X subversions.

J.

hm...interesting. i can't remember that i've ever seen this dialog.

i just had my key commands.

i also had my key commands after installing LX.

but then "something" happened with the update to 10.0.4. and some key commands changed.

so i thought, yes, this guess is right:

Anyone else noticed that the default/official key commands have changed since the release of Logic Pro X? My guess is that the change occured with 10.0.4 but I'm not 100% sure

thats all. :)

hm...interesting. i can't remember that i've ever seen this dialog.

i just had my key commands.

i also had my key commands after installing LX.

but then "something" happened with the update to 10.0.4. and some key commands changed.

I also use a custom key commands. The latest ones I've been using is a combination of LPX commands and my own preference for specific commands...But I exported them to a ".logikcs" file from the key commands window.

In order to see the changes David's talking about here, I need to switch to the US preset....so I guess you probably didn't ever export your key commands to a file and just modified them and they remained in Logic's preference file...and that's probably why you are noticing the change now that you've updated to 10.0.4.

J.

• 3 weeks later...
In the meantime, does anybody have a copy of the .logikcs file with the correct default key commands?

Keep in mind that there is currently no existing file of "correct key commands". Some of the key commands were changed voluntarily in 10.0.4 while others were introduced by mistake. We will have to wait for the next upgrade to have a set of "correct" key commands.

Keep in mind that there is currently no existing file of "correct key commands". Some of the key commands were changed voluntarily in 10.0.4 while others were introduced by mistake. We will have to wait for the next upgrade to have a set of "correct" key commands.

I'm guessing that manufacturers of Logic Pro X keyboards and writers of Logic Pro X courses aren't too happy about the changed key commands... :?

• 5 weeks later...

Good to know that it wasn't my imagination that there was a change on some of the keys.

I made a page of key commands last September that I put aside until tonight; a mix of presets and custom commands. Show tools was definitely one that was changed, but a few that I've taken down in September also were no longer working. Well now I have just exported the key command file so that those will remain, in case the next update "fix" alters what I have.

Have a good one,

V.

• 4 years later...
Anyone else noticed that the default/official key commands have changed since the release of Logic Pro X? My guess is that the change occured with 10.0.4 but I'm not 100% sure.

To view default key commands, choose Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Presets > U.S. or open the key command window and choose Options > Initialized.

Some examples:

T used to open the Tool menu, now it toggles the Editors.

Option-1 now opens the Tool menu.

D opened the Lists area, now it deselects all.

Shift-spacebar was Play from selection, now it's Play from left window edge.

This exact problem just arose for me after updating High Sierra to 10.13.4. It changed the key commands in the same way you are describing. Another example is that command-4 used to pull up the Piano Roll. Now it pulls up midi transform.

EDIT:

I re-read Jordi Torres' post on page 1. I have been creating some custom key commands for the buttons on my Yamaha moxf. I saved all of those to a separate .logikcs file. When I go back to select the US preset, I get the commands back that I am used to (the same one David originally referenced on this thread).