Disk is too slow or System Overload. (-10010)

msandm

Hi,

I am at the absolute end of my patience with Logic Pro at this point. I had troubles with it in the past where the 'Disk is too slow or System Overload.

(-10010)'

message would pop up and it would freeze in the most simple of session. I will have a session with 20 tracks with plug ins on almost every track and it will work fine and then another session with half the tracks and plug ins and I can't play more than 5 seconds at a time without it freezing.

I got extra memory which seemed to work for a while but now it is doing it again. I've have my computer diagnosed at the Mac shop and has shown no issues with my computer. I have 12Gb memory and around 1.4 terrabytes across 2 hard drives. 1 dedicated audio drive and 1 system drive. I have even removed all plug ins from the session so it is literally just playing back straight audio files and it will still give the problem. The CPU and HD meters seem to just spike at totally random occasions, not even when anything is happening.

It is incredibly embarrassing in front of clients and just extremely frustrating and counter productive even when mixing by myself. I have tried everything. Working in 64 bit and 32 bit, plug ins on and off. Creating new sessions with the same files. I scoured the internet through forums etc to try find the problem but nothing seems to work.

I am so close to switching to another DAW as this has never happened with any other.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi.

I do use a custom template. Should I not?

It seems to happen in 32 and 64 just as much. Not sure exactly though.

I use a 2c aether reverb plug in a few times per session but it has with literally no plug ins on any channel as well.

I even tied last night exporting all the tracks as new audio files and inserting them into a new session. Which was a template of this original. Cause is been working on it for days I couldn't lose all the setting and plug ins. That worked, but then upon reopening logic and the session it went straight back to the error mession again.

When you open the custom template, is the CPU already rising?

Sometimes, custom templates can become corrupt. Or certain 3rd party plugins can make the CPU go bonkers just on the template.

Turn them off and watching the CPU or Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities can tell you how much CPU percentage Logic is using.

If you open an empty project (no template), and start adding plugins, there should be a moment when specific 3rd party plugs make the CPU rise.

Hey triplets, I too have been struggling with overload 10011 errors. Plenty of Ram (32GB) all SSD's for work and system drives. The possibility of a corrupt template is intriguing. I don't look forward to the possibility of rebuilding my extensive orchestral scoring template. But please, let's pursue this line of thought. I have scoured boards all over the net and nothing makes sense.

Yes, I am seeing this a lot more with X, it was only an occasional problem in 9. With unused tracks switched off, I get it with one switched on which has about 6 plugins. Once it is running the core load barely registers, but it is clearly spikes which cause it to fall over. It seems the slightest change to a plugins parameters or other action whilst playing sends a huge spike to the cpu. It is fairly unusable for serious work, and I am looking at Pro Tools for peace of mind. Logic has had this problem for a long time, and it seems that a certain amount of voodoo or just luck solved it, but they should have sorted it by now. It may be a 'problem' with 3rd party plugins, but if that is true, then it is useless if you are supposed to stick to Logic-only plugins. Can people seriously get smooth performance without overloads when running large track counts and a many plugins from various sources? I would love to know if it is possible, because it doesn't look like it here.

• 4 months later...

I have same prob and it is struggling at all. I use Logic pro X on iMac i7 X 3.4 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM running OS X 10.9.2. Mavericks.RME 400 firewire.Speed of hard drive jumps to 100 - 130 Mb/s. Hard drive Rotational Rate:7200

Logic cannot play more than 60 WAV audio tracks. When I add more than 60 tracks I get error letter " Disk is too slow or System Overload " So that is wonderful that system can't run more than 60 tracks. So i did not try yet software Instruments tracks.

It is fairly unusable for serious work, and I am looking at Pro Tools for peace of mind

No guarantees in ProTools either. Every software reacts differently with each setup, especially when there's lots of 3rd party stuff involved.

And good luck with ProTools when you're not using Avid hardware. It's better than before but also unpredictable.

Just a simple thing. I'v found that if I close logic and my browser, then just start logic again, overload disappear.

Dunno about templates and stuff, but there doesn't seem to be enough room fpr Logic and a browser to run at the same time.

That is a ram issue most likely. Having 4 GB or less ram with Mountain Lion or Mavericks is prone to overloads.

• 1 year later...