Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

A big deal and not a big deal. Off-topic to some, not to me.

This book will initiate me into the world of the e-reader. I relished the hope to four-color-highlight David's work and read with glee that the Kindle for Mac will allow this. But if my last hour of research proves valid, only on an iOS device is this possible. Kindle for Mac on my Mac Pro eight core (early 2008) allows only yellow highlighting. And I have found one blogger who confirms and laments this same issue specifically, so I don't think it's the age of my computer. (I'm one version beneath Mavericks, 10.8.5.)

Question: is anyone here aware of an eReader that would allow for the multi-color highlighting of David's book across all platforms?

Okay. Mavericks (which I have been avoiding) can (finally) allow the IBooks Reader to be read on an OSX device. So for anyone wondering under what pretext Mac asks twenty more dollars for David's book, I guess this is it.

If anyone knows of multi-color highlighting on any other app for cross-platform (phone, tablet, and desktop) use, I'd love to hear about it.

The Apple Store and the Amazon store are two completely different models.

Retailer Sets the price

Amazon sets the base price, the publisher adds his profit margin and that is the default prize you see on the Amazon website. Now Amazon sets discount by itself. For example, it puts a book on sale for 20%. The publisher still gets his share and Amazon takes the hit on the sales price.

Publisher sets the price

Apple is a completely different, uses a model that is referred to as the "agency model". The publisher sets whatever price he wants (with some limitations) and Apple gets his 30% cut. That’s it, simple and easy. Apple is not in the business to put sales or any other incentives (except volume purchase). The publisher can go and change the sales price anytime he wants, individually for all 51 territories of the iBook Store. The publisher is completely in charge. Whatever money he wants to make on a book, he just calculates the 30% that Apple keeps.

When someone says "Apple charges that …" on its its Store, then that is not correct. The publisher is charging that. If David’s book cost $55 on the iBook Store, then that is a decision of Peachpit Press to make $38 profit on the sale (their 70% cut they get paid by Apple monthly). Their profit margin for eBooks is already much higher than on a printed book (no paper, no ink, no trucking). There is even zero cost for the transaction because Apple takes the hit on 2-5% Credit Card fee, no fulfillment cost of any kind for the publisher, just counting the monthly transaction coming from Apple, collected from all 51 territories in one sum (cha-ching)

Long story short. The reason why the publisher (!) might charge more (too much?) on the iBook Store is either greed or they don’t care. Maybe the customers or David can ask them to adjust the price more realistically. I too would have preferred the eBook version but instead bought David’s book as the (cheaper) print version on Amazon (sorry trees).

BTW, this was just a simplified explanation about the topic which is a little bit more complicated with all the lawsuits and investigation from the DOJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

First post here.

I'm currently a Garageband user but want to upgrade to logic soon.

I just found out that your book will be translated into german and released in June if Amazon is correct.

What i would like to know is are you going to explain the AU plugins what they does and how they work ?

In GB i find some plugins difficult to use or don't know what todo with them.

And is your book something for people who don't know that much about DAWs?

I don't think that i'm a noob but more an advanced beginner.

Rends

What i would like to know is are you going to explain the AU plugins what they does and how they work ?

Hi Rends, sorry I missed your question! No, my book does not explain AU plug-ins, only Logic Pro X and some of its own plug-ins: during the Mixing lesson you'll learn how to use the channel EQ, the Compressor, the Space Designer reverb and the Tape Delay plug-ins.

And is your book something for people who don't know that much about DAWs?

My book was written with beginner/intermediate users in mind. It should definitely suit you if you're an advanced beginner. A friend who's been using Logic for 10 years read my book and said he learned a ton of stuff. :wink:

Thx David!

Looking forward to read your book once available in german language.

I also found out that Apple offers it's own effects manual but i'm not sure how usefull it is.

Maybe you will write your own effects and instrument book for users like me in the future?

• 1 month later...

I had much difficulty to come along with the book for Logic 9. Now I bought Logic X and also the Logic Pro X book newest version from David Nahmani. The main difference was that everything is explained so basically that I just can follow it. Today I finished the book and tried out everything.

Now I can write some own music, tried some blues with voice, 2 guitars and bass, piano I programmed myself with score editor. Drums also added successfully. The book was a big help to come along.

I live in germany but bought english version.

I finally finished the book a few days ago and I feel much more confident as a result.

I learned tons of little tips and tricks and lots of workflow ideas that I've been able to adapt and integrate into my creative process. I find myself going back and using it as a reference and I'll eventually do the whole book over, taking more time with things that I'm still not 100% confident with. After all, repetition is the mother of skill. As a beginner in Logic, this book has been an incredibly valuable tool. I really feel like it's shaved at least 6 months off of my learning curve.

I find myself giving tips to my long time logic user friends too. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David.

I bought your book on Amazon (Kindle Version) and have been reading it (Lesson 3 so far). I think it's very well written but a bit basic for my current level. There's something that bothers me about the Zoom Tool keyboard shortcut and wanted to ask everyone about it. Everywhere I've read (even the Official Manual) states that Control-Option-Drag is the shortcut to the Zoom Tool, however when I'm using Logic Pro X it works with just Option-Drag. I wonder if this is particular to me or could be a mistake left from using Logic Pro 9 and never corrected.

It's a shame the lack of plans to write a more advanced book, something that explains in depth the Environment, the Scripter MIDI Plug-in or the MIDI Transform functions. Do you have any suggestions about any material that explains them?

Anyhow, thank you very much for your time.

It's a shame the lack of plans to write a more advanced book, something that explains in depth the Environment, the Scripter MIDI Plug-in or the MIDI Transform functions. Do you have any suggestions about any material that explains them?

A Logic book that covers those advanced features you mention is in the works. I hope to have it done later this year.

• 3 weeks later...