How can I accomplish this in Logic Pro X?

gkillmaster

I want to set up multiple software instrument tracks and switch between them from my keyboard. Sometimes I need to layer sounds which requires that I play multiple tracks with different instruments at the same time. My idea to switch the output midi channel on the keyboard and set the tracks midi channel accordingly works but not for multiple tracks with the same midi channel (even when I use Auto Demix). Can anyone recommend another way to accomplish this? I have to switch from my keyboard and will not have access to my laptop while I'm playing as it's a live set up.

Any clues greatly appreciated...

Greg K.

Thanks Eric. I've been trying this out and Track Stack works if I use summing stack and if I select the track. Now I need ti figure out how to remotely select the track from my keyboard. I guess I could set up an iPad and use Logic Remote, but is there a way to change to a specific track using midi messages from my midi keyboard?

Hi

Now I need ti figure out how to remotely select the track from my keyboard. I guess I could set up an iPad and use Logic Remote, but is there a way to change to a specific track using midi messages from my midi keyboard?

There are key commands for "Select Next Track" and "Select Previous Track". You could MIDI learn assignments for these in the Key Command Edit window.

CCT

I was thinking you would want to record enable all tracks.

Each of the enabled tracks represents a patch of yours. You can have a maximum of 16 different patches this way and toggle between them using the MIDI channel on your keyboard.

Let me get this straight, I set up a track stack with my instrument tracks

then save that as a patch in the "User Patches" part of the library?

Then I can assign a midi channel to that patch and switch patches by selecting the correct midi channel from my keyboard?

Or is it more simple like if I have all the tracks enables, then the stacks automatically become patches?

sorry for my confusion...

Hi

There are key commands for "Select Next Track" and "Select Previous Track". You could MIDI learn assignments for these in the Key Command Edit window.

CCT

o yeh! good idea... thanks.

I just tried this out and I'm assigning the top two notes on my keyboard to next track and previous track but unfortunately, unlike the arrow keys on my keyboard (default assignment), it works intermittently for some reason.

I'm confused...didn't you want to change the instruments by choosing the MIDI channel?

Here's a description of how you could do it without having to select tracks.

[attachment=0]Change-by-MIDI.png[/attachment]

Yes, that is what I want to do but I also want to have the option of triggering multiple tracks at the same time so I can layer instruments. It works fine that way if I'm just selecting single tracks with the midi channel from my keyboard. It fails when I have multiple tracks assigned to the came midi channel. When I switch, just the first track assigned to that midi channel plays.

ok, I'll try and sum up where I'm at with this cause honestly I think we are talking about slightly different setups. This is the way I'm doing it now:

This Works:

I want to be able to play multiple instruments at the same time from my keyboard

I create multiple software instrument tracks

I bundle the tracks into a Track Stack of the summing type

if I select that track stack I can play all the software instruments in it at the same time (I believe record enable turns on when I select the track)

I have to select the track stack in order for all the instruments within the stack to play simultaneously

I'm using Logic Remote on my iPad to switch to next track or previous track

This Doesn't Work:

create multiple software instruments

set "Auto Demix..." in Project Record Settings

record enable all tracks

set the midi channels to trigger the instruments I want to play together

so for instance, I may have 3 tracks set to midi channel 3 thinking if I switch to midi channel 3 from my keyboard, it will play only those tracks

this doesn't work cause it only triggers midi on channel 3 on the first track

I wonder if the confusion is that if I using the summing stack method, AND check "Auto Demix..." on, then I don't need to actually select the track stacks and cause use midi channel on those tracks. I can't test this til I get home later tonight... I'm not sure if Auto demix was turned on in the example using strack tracks. sorry for the confusion.

...so for instance, I may have 3 tracks set to midi channel 3 thinking if I switch to midi channel 3 from my keyboard, it will play only those tracks...

It is these three tracks that you can create a summing stack for.

Close the stack and select the Aux that is summing them together. Set it's MIDI channel to 3.

Now that stack will respond whenever you set your MIDI controller to send on channel 3.

Auto Demix must be on.

...so for instance, I may have 3 tracks set to midi channel 3 thinking if I switch to midi channel 3 from my keyboard, it will play only those tracks...

It is these three tracks that you can create a summing stack for.

Close the stack and select the Aux that is summing them together. Set it's MIDI channel to 3.

Now that stack will respond whenever you set your MIDI controller to send on channel 3.

Auto Demix must be on.

Just for the record, this didn't work for me either, changing MIDI channels from my controller has no effect this way. The only thing that matters is if the Aux track is actually selected. Its as though the Aux channels don't care what midi channel is sent. They only care about wether they are selected (don't even have to be record enabled). To get this to work I am using the next track, previous track buttons in Logic Remote from my iPad. I'm happy to provide a logic file so you can prove me wrong :)

BUT, I did get Mainstage 3 and its is totally amazing! I'm pretty sure this is the direction I'm going to go. I had a little trouble getting program change messages to be sent from my keyboard. This would work fine in a template but not when I started from scratch with same settings. So I started with a template and cut out what I didn't need, then patch change worked fine.

Up and running. So glad this help forum exists! thanks for all your help...

Greg K.

Just for the record, this didn't work for me either, changing MIDI channels from my controller has no effect this way. The only thing that matters is if the Aux track is actually selected. Its as though the Aux channels don't care what midi channel is sent. They only care about wether they are selected (don't even have to be record enabled). To get this to work I am using the next track, previous track buttons in Logic Remote from my iPad. I'm happy to provide a logic file so you can prove me wrong :)

It works fine. There's probably something that you haven't set up properly.

You can provide a file if you want but I'm not sure it is needed now that you have found MainStage to work.

I did get Mainstage 3 and its is totally amazing! I'm pretty sure this is the direction I'm going to go. I had a little trouble getting program change messages to be sent from my keyboard. This would work fine in a template but not when I started from scratch with same settings. So I started with a template and cut out what I didn't need, then patch change worked fine.

Up and running. So glad this help forum exists! thanks for all your help...

Greg K.

You're most welcome Greg! :D

I'm glad that I could be of help.