MIDI pitch B3 sounds like a Eb2 but only the B3

MadLudwig

I recorded a piece in a software track using the vintage electric piano sound, just the way it comes in Logic, and one note (B3) sounds a minor 6th (Eb2) lower. If I drag the note up the C3 sounds right, and the down, the Bb sounds right. When I play the pitch on my keyboard, it and the ones around it sound right. When I click and hold the bar (piano roll mode) it says it's playing the B3, but it isn't. If that isn't bad enough, the Eb2 is kind of a lousy sounding note anyway!. This happens even when switching "instruments", like to a guitar.

Thanks for any help.

I am new to Logic Pro X and this is the first real issue I've had.

...and it is very specific, too. B2 pitched 8 semitones down to Eb2/D#2.

The corruption is specific to the region, you can delete all B2 notes from it and replace them with new B2 notes, but they will keep sounding like Eb2 notes. If you drag any other note to the B2 position, it'll turn into an Eb2.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99041&p=523387

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5257076?tstart=0

Another workaround/repair: in the piano roll, select all notes, drag 'm all one octave down, then set the region transpose parameter (in the Inspector) to +12.

Eric, Thanks very much for the help gentlemen, Almost solved the problem. When I copied the notes (midi) notes into the new region, the controller (sustain) did not transfer. I tried selecting-copying that from the original region and pasting it into the new region. It looked like it did it, but there was no audible sustain effect.

BTW, this was not copied from an older template.

Erik, when I drug the notes down, and then transposed it up, another couple of notes went haywire. I think that region is genuinely disturbed.

Again, thanks for the ideas and help.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Eric's reply seems to sort the problem out. This means that you select the problematical region first. Next, open it in the Event list, select all and cut it. I haven't tried copying it, by the way. Cutting seems to work fine.

Go back to the main window and delete the problematical (and now empty) region. In the same main window (NOT the Event List), choose Paste at Original Position. The region should reappear — and the problem should disappear.

It worked for me yesterday, anyway!

Why on earth is this a problem? If it's occurring in Logic 9 and GarageBand, is it a Core Audio question?