Rosetta killed Logic Pro 8

EricSt.John

I finally caved and bought a "new" Mac since my trusty ol' G5 PPC has maxed out. It's a Mac Pro 1,1 with the 2.66 Xeons.

Having never attended any Mac (or any other computer) training except Trial and Error and Pointers from the Geek Pages, I didn't know that I should have found out about how to make the jump from PPC to Intel-based Macs. If you don't know the question, you can't ask, I say. But, I'm fairly proficient with these contraptions, having used PC's for about nine years and building two PCs. My first Mac was a PPC for XMAS in 2010, used, from evil bay, and loaded with every imaginable multimedia program, including Logic Studio -LP8- (which I've just now, in the wake of my current dilemma, purchased a NOS full retail version, so relax. It'll be here within a week.)

When I "migrated" my docs, apps and settings over to the new machine and went to resume working on my recent project, Logic told me to install Rosetta from either the web at the link given on the message, or from my S/Leopard install disc, the option I chose. Apparently Logic thought it was still in a PPC.

So I install Rosetta from the dvd and when I went to use Logic it quit instantly and prompted me to ignore, report or relaunch.

When my new legal legit and expensive copy of Logic Studio gets here, I really don't want to wipe my drive and start all over so I figured maybe somebody knew how to get rid of Rosetta with a few keystrokes at most.

Thanks to all for your kindness, understanding and expertise!

• 3 weeks later...
Snow Leopard is still the best OSX! However, Logic Audio 8 requires Rosetta to run since it still has a lot of PowerPC code. Have you tried re-installing Rosetta from the website instead of the DVD? After Rosetta is re-installed try re-installing Logic Audio.

FYI there are a few brave souls who actually managed to install Rosetta on OSX 10.7 to run Logic Audio 8. They reported that once Rosetta is installed Logic Audio 8 runs without any issues. But do stick with OSX 10.6.8 since it is better suitable for pro audio work than OSX 10.7.