Logic Pro 9 Busses out of Sync

atticmike

Hey fellas,

I been working with Logic Pro for a long time now and thought today about redesigning my workflow layout in terms of busses, sends et cetera.

Now, I noticed if you create rather weird, not so logical structures, it will delay and be out of sync of the rest of the track.

Does that mean in theory that if I create a bus structure for the drums, I have to create the exact same interstage with the guitars and vocals for example with the same amount of intersections?

Mike

Now, I noticed if you create rather weird, not so logical structures, it will delay and be out of sync of the rest of the track.

Without any plug-ins at all, just signal routing? Can you share an example? Attach a project file to this thread?

Hm, I'd have to recreate it, damn, I could do it though.

But i think, what would be more productive is to ask for a solution to my planned setup?

In general, is it gonna cause problems if I create on one side a chain of let us say 5 busses into one another and the rest being simply routed through one bus? Shouldn't logic delay the whole playback so everything accommodates? No matter what side is built out to whatever far end? I have delay compensation activated on all tracks by the way.

I might have done a routing mistake in relation with the signal processed itself, delaying it I guess; or logic might as well be just able to built up a three bus stretch without problems max?

Oh, with plugins, the first instance (bus) gets a lot dough, the rest is mostly gathering again and parallel stuff.

*Update* Maybe it is not such a good idea in general to route stuff around so much and instead always feed the busses out to stereo? That obviously has never created any issue for me; should maybe be a general recommendation to logic users on this board?

yeah, it is set to all, but I've encountered that creating intricate busing with a deeper concept will cause trouble and has to be really thought through; guess logic is not built for that purpose, I should do it more like on my SSL, sending all buses directly to Stereo, avoiding interwoven bus structures.

I'm afraid I won't be able to answer without an example of what you call "intricate bussing with a deeper concept". What I can tell you is that I often have complex bus routings with busses feeding other busses that themselves feed more busses, through their outputs or their sends, or even both simultaneously, etc... and have never noticed any unexpected delay issues.

Maybe you're using some 3rd party plug-ins that don't report the correct latency value to Logic Pro? Try removing all 3rd party plug-ins from your Mixer and see if the issue disappears.

I'm afraid I won't be able to answer without an example of what you call "intricate bussing with a deeper concept". What I can tell you is that I often have complex bus routings with busses feeding other busses that themselves feed more busses, through their outputs or their sends, or even both simultaneously, etc... and have never noticed any unexpected delay issues.

Maybe you're using some 3rd party plug-ins that don't report the correct latency value to Logic Pro? Try removing all 3rd party plug-ins from your Mixer and see if the issue disappears.

Not so fond of ditching my Waves plugins, even though I could recreate them with Logic's. But okay, I get what you mean, heard of it as well, but never with Waves, shite.

I use all manner of weird routings - groups feeding busses, Side-Chained from all over the place. The only time I have ever had synchronisation problems was with the odd esoteric plug-in that was then immediately discarded from my setup. Disable 3rd party plugins until the delay issue disappears, but you'll have to stop and play the tune each time to allow Logic to recalculate the compensation times.

I don't think there is such thing as 'too complicated' - the delay compensation is absolute, but is it possible you have routed something 'badly' and are causing a phase or look back issue?