Manually Editing Drums / Transient Detection

Joe Lonsdale

Hi guys - hope you can help. I would like to take advantage of Logic transient detection to cut up a multitrack drum recording into chunks that I can then manually move around and wonder if anyone knows how? Ideally I would 'transient detect' (and tidy up the markers) on the kick and snare tracks, group all the drum tracks and then 'slice at transient markers' and have all the other tracks divide in exactly the same place - however I cannot get this to work, with or without Flex engaged. I don't want to simply rely on Flex as it seems a little glitchy and doesn't allow me to join the cuts in quite the way I would choose although I am experienced in using Flex and I am confident I am doing it right. My manual fixes of drum recordings are excellent and I am totally happy with the results, it's just speeding the whole thing up a bit that I want! **Still on Logic 9.1.8 which seems quite buggy to me**

Step 1: Export drum tracks.

Step 2: Import drum tracks into Pro Tools.

Step 3: Fix drums with Beat Detective.

Step 4: Bring fixed drums back into Logic.

Ha, sorry but I just couldn't resist. :) IMHO, Beat Detective is the only thing that PT still has Logic "beat" on. :) It can surely all be done in Logic for sure, but it takes more time and manual work.

Ideally I would 'transient detect' (and tidy up the markers) on the kick and snare tracks, group all the drum tracks and then 'slice at transient markers' and have all the other tracks divide in exactly the same place - however I cannot get this to work

Why not? What happens instead? Do you have an example that you could share where this does not work? I just tried it and it worked as expected here, as long as "Editing (Selection)" and "Phase-Locked Audio" are both selected in the group settings. It then cuts all the tracks on the transients of the Q-reference track(s).

group-settings.png.ceea27a5118d7b842ffc9b0c03adeae3.png

Step 1: Export drum tracks.

Step 2: Import drum tracks into Pro Tools.

Step 3: Fix drums with Beat Detective.

Step 4: Bring fixed drums back into Logic.

Ha, sorry but I just couldn't resist. :) IMHO, Beat Detective is the only thing that PT still has Logic "beat" on. :) It can surely all be done in Logic for sure, but it takes more time and manual work.

I agree 100% with this.

• 3 weeks later...