Live transposition of MIDI keyboard input

gwales

My Roland E36 has a simple transpose button. When I drop 12 semitones, Logic and other software like Mainstage, GarageBand, etc recognise the change.

My Yamaha SY85 has the same functionality, buried somewhere in a digital LCD screen. The internal sound can be transposed but not the MIDI data, ie transposition of Software Instruments. Does Logic have a feature that allows live transposition? All the info I've found online is about transposing tracks, either audio or MIDI.

The Yamaha only has 61 keys, so I need to drop the whole thing down an octave. Any help appreciated. Ideally I want to create an instrument and then transpose it and save it.

Hi

Click in the background of the Tracks area, locate the MIDI Thru region parameters in the Inspector, and adjust the Transpose function +/- the octave that you need.

CCT

Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted. I can now transpose stacks. I see that the sound transposes when it's included in the stack but not if you select it alone. Perfect!

• 5 years later...

Hi there,

I am having the same issue. I want to be able to play in C (white keys) but transpose LIVE to the key of A flat (Down 4 half-steps).

I tried to follow the steps that were described in this thread, but I was unable to find the feature that adjusts the pitch. I'm not familiar with what a "stack" is. Would it be possible for someone to detail the steps more thoroughly?

Thank you!

Jeff