Mavericks and Logic 9

Viv Savage

Hi,

I am still waiting for a few of my needed plug-ins to break the 64 bit barrier, so I am still sentenced to Logic 9. Which is partially the reason I haven't updated to Mav. yet. Unfortunately now I have to as my iMac running Snow kitty is slowly failing. I have set my sights on a Mac Mini with a Fusion drive and max memory, but as it is running Mavericks I wonder...

Can I still run LP 9 without a problem on it? I see conflicting comments on the web, so I ask my compadres here as to their experiences.

Thanks.

It does here, LP9 is run in 64bit mode...

BTW, I heard plenty bad stories about fusion drives. If you can afford, go SSD all the way!

BTW, there are various solutions to make old AU plugins (32bits) work in LPX...

OTOH, I lost hte ability to customize my C4 via C4 Commander app since when I moved from SL to ML.

Basically I am waiting for Genuine Soundware to get their stuff in 64 bit (or at least the VB3), and Waldorf's PPG Wave. I can do without the latter one, but a lot of what I do is Hammond work, so the VB3 is a necessity for me.

What are the scary stories about Fusion drives? SDD is not an option for me as my current computer already has a 750 GB disc and it is filled for 2/3. SSD is only available for 256 GB which is half of what is used already...

Yep, they are saved on an external disc. The only stuff that is on the hard drive is Logic and the AUs. When they are accompanied by large libraries (MTron Pro, Superior Drummer, etc.) the libraries will be on the external as well (if permitted).

edit: I have done a quck search and read across the forum, and I also read that the Fusion problems are solved in 10.9.2. Is that a fact? If not I would have to get a 5400 rpm disc and I soooooo don't want that...

Unfortunately the whole thing has become kind of moot. I already had problems with my iMac, hence the explorations into a new machine, but as of yesterday evening I've declared the iMac an iZombie. In the morning I had to shutdown the machine, and when I turned it back on last evening it took over an hour to get to the desktop (45 minutes alone before I could logon). After that it would respond to mouse moves, but not clicking (or keyboards), a short while later the menu bar disappeared.... As it was doing a Time Machine backup I let it continue, but after that, I pulled the plug.

I've ordered a new Mini with the Fusion drive. If that doesn't work out for Logic I will get another one with a SSD and dedicate it to Logic (as I've done with my MBP).

Gonna be a long, long week computing on just an iPad.

Thanks all.