logic x external instrument problem [SOLVED]

swedemason

Hello again. Ive run into a problem at the first hurdle when trying to set up my outboard gear in logic x. Ive had to start a new environment from scratch in logic x. In logic 9 setting up my external gear was easy. I know how to do it, however in logic x, using the external instrument plug in, i am not able to select any of my external instruments from the environment. All i am getting is ports, IAC, midi interface etc…However, if i use the external instrument legacy, ie the old version, I get all my environment objects listed, and can select. Is this now the route to take? Seems daft. Ive tried using fresh environments and projects but it makes no difference. Please tell me its something ive overlooked!

Im using logic x .7, macbook pro retina

Hi,

However, if i use the external instrument legacy, ie the old version

I guess you mean external MIDI tracks?

But anyway, yes. Things have changed in Logic Pro X and for some reason the MIDI Destination drop-down menu in the External Instrument plug-in will only show you actual ports...it won't show you any objects you may have created in the environment.

J.

Hello Jordi, thanks for the reply.No, i dont thinks so anyway?! I mean if i save a channel strip setting from logic 9, which contains an external instrument plugin, and open in logic x, it shows up as a legacy instrument. So i go to legacy instruments and open up the old version of external instrument plug in, which works fine. This is what im gonna do. Just seems strange that they have got rid of the feature in x. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing anything noobish, or something that was gonna mess things up down the line. I dont trust x. Especially where the environment is concerned cos its very buggy. If it wasnt for the sweet midi fx plugins id be back on 9 in a flash.

Ta

I mean if i save a channel strip setting from logic 9, which contains an external instrument plugin, and open in logic x, it shows up as a legacy instrument.

OK! thanks for clarifying that. But environment objects still do show up as destinations for external MIDI tracks.

Another thing you can do is create virtual devices that represent your hardware in Audio MIDI setup and connect them to the device you're using as a MIDI interface...then the ports will appear in the external instrument plug-in menu with the expected names (the names of your external gear).

J.

One more thing, sorry. So that works but it bypasses the environment? I cant control my patch with the midi keyboard anymore? The pots work if i move them them the mouse but If i cable directly from midi keyboard port port to the patch i get lots of horrible delay and stuck notes

Hey,

I cant control my patch with the midi keyboard anymore?

Not sure what you mean, you're sending MIDI out to your gear, it should respond no matter how you send it out.

The pots work if i move them them the mouse but If i cable directly from midi keyboard port port to the patch i get lots of horrible delay and stuck notes

You need to tell us what you're working with...what is this "patch" you are connecting to?

Please, click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I cant mute either using the mute track button. But, can if i mute the region! Strange

No problem here muting my external synth's audio when using the external instrument plug-in.

J.

Sorry J im losing the plot. So many parameters and options i cant keep it all held down. I solved the issues. Ther muting thing was me being a dumass having a multi timbral through the dsame input on my audio interface. The bypass environment also me being a dumass and not realising the object is now an audio object, not a midi instrument object. All Good. Thanks for the help. Ill do my signature also.