Logic X vs. Logic 9 CPU Issue

carsontm18

I have been using Logic 9 for about 4 years and decided to make the jump to Logic X recently. However, since switching to Logic X, my audio output from the program has been crackling and fizzling out consistently. If it's bad enough I will then get the error sync message with a weird sample rate detection. I have ruled out my interface's drivers (M-Audio Profire 610) because it does the same thing for Built-in Audio. The problem doesn't seem to be the core audio engine, rather the CPU usage of Logic X. The crackling only occurs for certain VI's (like Sylenth1 - running via SoundRadix 32 Lives), but not for others (Massive, stock Logic plugins, etc.). And I can minimize the effects by reducing the number of VI's. I can also increase the I/O buffer but that is not ideal since it only helps if I increase to a ridiculous amount like 1024 samples (in Logic 9 I can get away with 70 VI's mostly Sylenth1 and Massive at 128 samples and run smoothly).

Here is a screenshot of the thread distribution with only four instances of sylenth1 running and playing the same MIDI...

http://s24.postimg.org/bmgmuhxd1/Screen_Shot_2014_07_12_at_5_50_52_PM.png

image hoster

Now, I have had my fair share of CPU/audio,midi sync problems in the past with Logic 9. I typically work with a large number of VI's that use a considerable amount of CPU. I have adapted my workflow to bouncing regions with these VI's in order to save CPU in Logic 9 and it has worked well for me. However, in Logic X I am experiencing issues with audio quality with only a couple of instances of one of my least CPU hungry VI's. I have not had any System Overload messages yet, but regardless this is unacceptable and makes it impossible to work on my tracks. The weird thing is that Activity Monitor shows Logic X as using less CPU than Logic 9 for the same project. However, in Logic, the CPU meters read higher in X than in 9.

I've read through countless of these threads but haven't seen anyone else who has encountered this particular problem. Could it possibly be 32 Lives? Or something else?

Well, then I won't be able to run Sylenth1. I ran the same project with 4 instances of Spire (similar to Sylenth1) with the same MIDI and no 32 Lives...

http://s30.postimg.org/c1dmbcylt/Screen_Shot_2014_07_12_at_6_22_03_PM.png

image post

And here is a screenshot of the Actitivty Monitor with Sylenth1 running through 32 Lives...

http://s30.postimg.org/dilr12g4x/Screen_Shot_2014_07_12_at_6_27_56_PM.png

host image

And the the fourth thread is very unsteady... it spikes from just below where it is on the screenshot to near max randomly.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

This is my first post and only really to say I have had the same problem

It appears to relate to 32 Lives with certain plugins namely NI Massive & Sylenth

This was my main reason for purchasing the Bridge (yes my Massive is a crack and Komplete is my next purchase once funds for such become available!!)

however Sylenth I purchased and awaiting 64bit version however sound radix are selling Sylenth bundled with 32 Lives Which is a bit naughty if you ask me.

Anyone has any news or fixes would love to hear

Dan Bizaro

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Just signed up. I've been a long time Cubase user and switched to Logic Pro X when it came out. Just found myself in need for a different workflow.

Anyway, i had to really get used to the way Logic works on terms of latency and stuff. I installed 32 lives as soon as it came out. I have had so many issues making the switch. Most of them where dealt with when LPX10.7 came out. The only thing left is the same issue as mentioned above. It has become such a problem that it's become unworkable for me. My ssd loaded, 8-Core 2,4 Xeon Mac Pro (2010) with 16gb ram and Apogee symphony incl pci64 card is not even able to load 4 instances of Spire without the last thread getting stressed. I have a 'home' studio with a simple 2012 iMac quadcore i5 that also has the (visual) spikes in the last thread, but i'm guessing it's the thunderbolt UA apollo Twin that prevents the audio from snapping. (Or single threading mac's have better ways to spread the cpu load over it's cores?)

Last friday i was almost at the point of getting my iMac in my main studio. I started to really think back and the only thing i had not think of was the option of NOT working with 32 Lives since you forcing non 64bit plugins in a 64bit enviremont.. I'm really starting to think that the 'old' MacPro wasn't made for a 64bit DAW, even the SSD isn't used to full potential, so how could you use the full potential of a 64bit DAW In an old machine.

This monday i'm doing a fresh install, without 32 lives and will only continue to work with official 64bit compatible software and hardware (which i already did for over 90% anyway).

I will make a post here as soon as i can to let you guys know if things work better for me without the 64bit wrapper.

PS: all my software is up to date, working on OS 10.9.5, always switch dropbox and timemachine off while producing. Been doing this for 15 years, but let me know if i missed something here ;)

Kind regards,

Kel van Soest

Well, then I won't be able to run Sylenth1. I ran the same project with 4 instances of Spire (similar to Sylenth1) with the same MIDI and no 32 Lives...

[...]

And here is a screenshot of the Actitivty Monitor with Sylenth1 running through 32 Lives…

I think you may have just left the instrument track selected whilst playing the project in this case to demonstrate the issue but I believe having an empty Audio track selected when playing the project helps a great deal in reducing CPU usage in cases like this.

Interesting that Windowserver is using more CPU than Logic and 32 Lives Agent. Is this always like this or have you ever noticed windowserver CPU usage creeps upward as you use the project.

What graphics chip does your MacBook Pro use?

Ok...i just found out the spikes on the last thread are the worst when i'm pressing/playing on my midi keyboard.

When i play back the song with the midi i played in...Logic seems to spread the cpu load much better over all cores.

Now i'm having doubts about if this has anything to do with 32 Lives at all...

Is this a know issue in Logic X or even in previous versions?

Hey guys,

Just signed up. I've been a long time Cubase user and switched to Logic Pro X when it came out. Just found myself in need for a different workflow.

Anyway, i had to really get used to the way Logic works on terms of latency and stuff. I installed 32 lives as soon as it came out. I have had so many issues making the switch. Most of them where dealt with when LPX10.7 came out. The only thing left is the same issue as mentioned above. It has become such a problem that it's become unworkable for me. My ssd loaded, 8-Core 2,4 Xeon Mac Pro (2010) with 16gb ram and Apogee symphony incl pci64 card is not even able to load 4 instances of Spire without the last thread getting stressed. I have a 'home' studio with a simple 2012 iMac quadcore i5 that also has the (visual) spikes in the last thread, but i'm guessing it's the thunderbolt UA apollo Twin that prevents the audio from snapping. (Or single threading mac's have better ways to spread the cpu load over it's cores?)

Last friday i was almost at the point of getting my iMac in my main studio. I started to really think back and the only thing i had not think of was the option of NOT working with 32 Lives since you forcing non 64bit plugins in a 64bit enviremont.. I'm really starting to think that the 'old' MacPro wasn't made for a 64bit DAW, even the SSD isn't used to full potential, so how could you use the full potential of a 64bit DAW In an old machine.

This monday i'm doing a fresh install, without 32 lives and will only continue to work with official 64bit compatible software and hardware (which i already did for over 90% anyway).

I will make a post here as soon as i can to let you guys know if things work better for me without the 64bit wrapper.

PS: all my software is up to date, working on OS 10.9.5, always switch dropbox and timemachine off while producing. Been doing this for 15 years, but let me know if i missed something here ;)

Kind regards,

Kel van Soest

Well, no DAW will ever use an SSD to its full potential because the simple fact is audio tasks are not very demanding for modern computers.

I also think your machine is plenty adequate for Logic X. These kinds of resource problems have to do with inefficient distribution of cores. I get frustrated too when one core's utilization shoots way up while the others are barely doing anything.

Apple needs to fix this. Maybe redesign the whole thing so that it can dynamically re-allocate processes to the least used cores for better efficiency.

lol

Apple needs to fix this. Maybe redesign the whole thing so that it can dynamically re-allocate processes to the least used cores for better efficiency.

lol

Totally agree.

I completely re-installed logicX without 32Lives and opened the sound stack i had issues with playing live...not better, not worse.

In my experience now, it doesn't have anything to do with 32Lives or so.

And so the 'work arounds' continue.... :cry: