Can't get rid of flex marker

jster

I turn on Flex for a track and the transients appear. Suppose there are four transients in a row, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Suppose 3 isn't really supposed to be there. It is in the middle of a note. I want to get rid of it so that when I move 2 over to the right, it squishes the whole are from 2 to 4. So I go up to the top of the region and click on the x above 3. But it doesn't really go away. When I move 2, I just squish the are from 2 to 3. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

To delete a flex marker from an audio region, have you tried these other options?

• Place the pointer over the flex marker, then click the “x” symbol in the region header.
  • Double-click the flex marker.
  • Drag across the flex marker with the Eraser tool.
    Important: Use the Eraser tool in the body of the waveform only. Using it in the region header deletes the entire region.
  • Control-click the flex marker, then choose Delete Flex Marker from the shortcut menu.

I am generally not a destructive person. ;) But before I have to resort to some destructive work around, I would like to know: Am I the only one who has this problem? When you use the eraser, does any line remain? Or do you also have a thin line?

I am generally not a destructive person. ;) But before I have to resort to some destructive work around, I would like to know: Am I the only one who has this problem? When you use the eraser, does any line remain? Or do you also have a thin line?

I believe there is a slight confusion about transient markers and flex markers.

You remove transient markers in the Audio File editor. You remove flex markers in the main Track area.

Don't worry about destructive editing while working with transients. You can always reanalyse the file later if you are not satisfied.

Thanks Eric, but is there no way to do what I want to do in the arrange window? Surely I must not be the only person who finds this to be a problem. I order to do any flexing, it matters a great deal where the neighbouring lines are. Most of the time they are where you want them to be. But 15% of the time, there are extra ones. I need to remove those because I want to squish or expand a bigger chunk of audio. Suppose you record quarter notes. You turn on flex. Most of the lines are near the quarter note divisions, but for some reason there is an extra one giving you 8th note divisions at a particular point. I assume this happens to all of us. Now if you need to flex there you might get a wobbly sound because you are squishing or expanding something that is only an 8th note long rather than the quarter note length that you want and expect. Are we all talking about the same thing? If I have to go do destructive editing to deal with this, then I can barely see the point of non-destructive flex.

Edition in the Audio file editor being destructive, always calls for caution.

Mishap could arise unexpectedly.

:idea: My advice: don't work, ever, with the original audio file in there, if that audio file is of any value to you!

try option-command-f to convert to new audio file so you feel safe in audio editor

Edition in the Audio file editor being destructive, always calls for caution.

Mishap could arise unexpectedly.

:idea: My advice: don't work, ever, with the original audio file in there, if that audio file is of any value to you!

In the case of Transient editing there is nothing to worry about. It will not alter you audio.

You can always choose Audio File > Detect Transients to revert to the default state if you want.

Applying any items from the Function menu is destructive. Depending on the situation you can choose to work from a newly created copy or you could use the Audio File editors backup option to save a backup that you can revert to at any time, even after you have closed your project.

A thing to keep in mind is that time stretching audio in the Main track area also works destructively unless you first apply flex.

You three guys are the best! Thanks. Sorry I don't always get back right away. My surfing machine is in another room and doesn't have Logic so I can't always immediately apply your recommendations.

Only question remaining is this: When I go into the File Editor, I can more the transients out of the way (which is sufficient for my purposes) but I don't know how to actually remove them. How do you do that?

Only question remaining is this: When I go into the File Editor, I can move the transients out of the way (which is sufficient for my purposes) but I don't know how to actually remove them. How do you do that?

Place the pointer tool over the transient marker you want to remove and double-click...or use the eraser tool.

J.