Is it just me, or is Logic Pro X really really REALLY buggy?

GoRogue

I recently downloaded Logic Pro X. I'm new to Logic in general, so it is possible that I'm just unbelievably incompetent, but it seems like I can't even get it to do the most basic of things. When I press play to play a recorded track, it might play the audio, but NOTHING will happen in the GUI. This same issue comes up when I'm recording. It seemed that when I first started using the program, the GUI would actually usually respond when I pressed play or record, but now I'm kind of "in the dark". In addition, it's very common for me to have to deal with errors coming up, telling me that the midi data could not be processed in time, etc. When I change software instruments on a track, it will often be several minutes (or seemingly never) until the sound itself changes. Doing something like changing the tempo of a piece or simply navigating through it will take over a minute for the computer to respond to. A whole slew of problems has made this program almost impossible to work with to do even very simple tasks (like recording two midi tracks with a click). Have other people had these problems? Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated! I'm using logic 10.0.7 on a macbook pro OSX version 10.8.5

You may have too little RAM, or Logic is using (too) much of it, and/or you have (too many) other programs open in the background. The symptoms you describe could be caused by these things. You should open Activity Monitor to see how different programs are using RAM an virtual RAM. When RAM gets fuller, chunks of it are written to disk. When OS X is writing RAM to disk, this may make the dreaded "beachball" appear. The beachball means you'll just have to wait.

It is hard too tell what's happening without at least some basic data and info... so, if you could list your system setup in your signature, that would help.

click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.3)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.4)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Please also list whatever you own of those:

• MIDI controller(s), (hardware) synths, soundmodules, other MIDI-using hardware, external processing equipment, etc.

My system is quite new and kept offline. But I have to admit that Logic misbehaves more than I would like it to. Maybe every fourth day it quits unexpectedly. For example, yesterday I accidentally deleted most of the regions in the main area. I quickly did undo. And Logic just quit. I think the operative word there is "quickly". At least half of the hiccups and coughs occur when I do something quickly. So I go take a break. Come back. Move the mouse to see the screen. Quickly click play. Logic doesn't like that. It will overload. Occasionally, it might not play a track. It seems to like to take little naps and likes to be woken up gently. Just click on something minor and let it know it's time to get back to work. This kind of bug is pretty easy to reproduce by doing something major. Another example would be guitar channel strips/rigs. You can switch out simpler guitar rigs during playback. But if you swtich to some more complicated rig, maybe one that uses some Buses/Aux tracks, you can pretty easily make Logic struggle.

In addition to that, in my experience, there are a lot of little bugs, e.g., the loop cursor simply refusing to appear forcing me to have to use the inspector. Those editing type bugs I find to be very annoying because I might be in the middle of a many step editing process.

I did seem to completely loose one project though and that worries me. I can't open it. I have no idea what I did.

As someone who had a brief stint in QA in Silicon Valley, I would say that it is buggier than it should be, so somewhere between buggy and really buggy.

I have checked with the activity monitor and logic rarely goes over 20 percent of my CPU. I use a mac OSX 10.8.5 with 4GB of RAM. When I got the computer a couple of years ago, I didn't expect to be running anything more complicated than an internet browser - I probably would have gotten more RAM otherwise. It actually suddenly started working again, with some minor issues that seem similar to what a lot of other people have been talking about. Not really sure what happened, but thanks anyway!

Sadly, I have to revert to LP9 to really be productive. I'm hoping that some of the bugginess, misplaced menu items, poor screen allocation and other idosyncracies are addressed.. otherwise… I'll have to grit my teeth and either change programs or learn to deal with LPX.

Bummed in Brentwood.

I have checked with the activity monitor and logic rarely goes over 20 percent of my CPU. I use a mac OSX 10.8.5 with 4GB of RAM. When I got the computer a couple of years ago, I didn't expect to be running anything more complicated than an internet browser - I probably would have gotten more RAM otherwise. It actually suddenly started working again, with some minor issues that seem similar to what a lot of other people have been talking about. Not really sure what happened, but thanks anyway!

Come on :D 4GB RAM?! It is a joke. Please upgrade at least to 8 but I strongly advice to update to 16 GB. It is clear the RAM that causes your issues