How do I record a stereo mix of my project? [SOLVED]

bluzgtr

I want to have a tape delay plug-in kick in on the last beat of the song, with a high feedback setting so that last note repeats synced to the beat, and fades out slowly. I have everything tweaked so it sounds just like I want it to if I manually turn on the delay one beat before the last note. Obviously, if i bounce down to stereo mix normally the effect won't turn on. So the first question is:

1. How can I automate this process so it shows up in the bounce?

If there's no way to do that, then:

2. How do I take the stereo mix output of my project and record it in real time?

Thanks for your time.

Larry

I want to have a tape delay plug-in kick in on the last beat of the song, with a high feedback setting so that last note repeats synced to the beat, and fades out slowly. I have everything tweaked so it sounds just like I want it to if I manually turn on the delay one beat before the last note. Obviously, if i bounce down to stereo mix normally the effect won't turn on. So the first question is:

1. How can I automate this process so it shows up in the bounce?

Sometimes the answer is in the question:

Use Automation!

2. How do I take the stereo mix output of my project and record it in real time?

Thanks for your time.

Larry

Bounce your project to a stereo file format of your choice.

Hey, Atlas:

I am sure to an expert like yourself, your short answers are very meaningful, but a person like me, both a noob and a geezer, needs a little more detail. Of course, I tried automation. Turning the plug-in on did not seem to record. If you could tell me how to achieve this, I would be most grateful.

I explained in my question why bouncing won't work. (Unless you're assuming a successful automation). I need to be able to make a real time recording. Of course, I could hook up a 2nd computer and record on that. I assume with a digital format there would be no loss of quality. Still, it seems there should be an easier way.

Thanks again.

Larry

1. You can draw automation or perform it live.

Press A to toggle automation view. Look for the parameter you want to automate (Insert #x Bypass) and draw it in.

Or set the automation mote to Latch, start playback and then "manually turn on the delay one beat before the last note".

When done change the automation mode to Read. Now you should be able to bounce it as the automation has been recorded.

2. You can do this in real time by setting the output of all channel strips routed to the Stereo Output to a bus of your choice.

Create a new track and set it's input to that bus. Start recording on your new track. Every change you make to the mix will now get recorded.

Hope that helps!

/Eric

Hey, Atlas:

I am sure to an expert like yourself, your short answers are very meaningful, but a person like me, both a noob and a geezer, needs a little more detail. Of course, I tried automation. Turning the plug-in on did not seem to record. If you could tell me how to achieve this, I would be most grateful.

I explained in my question why bouncing won't work. (Unless you're assuming a successful automation). I need to be able to make a real time recording. Of course, I could hook up a 2nd computer and record on that. I assume with a digital format there would be no loss of quality. Still, it seems there should be an easier way.

Thanks again.

Larry

Well, I am far from being an expert, although I am working on that :?

It is not easy to assess the level of knowledge someone has from the question asked...

Automation and bouncing are quite extensive in terms of knowledge. You may have noticed that in my post, some words are blue, bold and underlined. That is because they are in fact url link to the documentation related to the required information. That published information is important to get acquainted with. Reproducing it here would be redundant. It is not perfect and could be obscure at times. David's book is highly recommended and reknowned to be very helpful and more userfriendly! David is the guy who manage this board.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to post again!

Hey, Eric:

I believe you have a couple of solutions that would have worked, so a big THANK YOU. Before I read your solution, I figured out a way to do it very easily through hardware, and it's one that you will relate to, since we have the same interface. I used the Durecord system on the Fireface to record the stereo mix to a USB stick, turned the tape delay on manually at the right moment, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your time.

Larry

Hey, Atlas:

I agree with you. David is a great resource. I have hired him a couple of times for one-on-one consulting, and was very happy with the results.

Thanks for explaining about the links. The next time you answer my question, I'll know what you're up to.

Larry