Latency Changing During Recording

charlieprowler

Hello. My recording sessions have been fraught with changing latency lately. This is happening while recording audio only, and very little plugin activity. Here's the scenario. While recording, for instance a vocal track, I'll hear a click, and all of a sudden, there is latency. I then proceed to stop recording and change the I/O buffer size to one option away from where it originally was, and it will be fine for a little while, and then a click, latency again, I'll change it back, it'll be fine for a while...and so forth and so on. Any ideas? I've been using Logic for years and this has never happened, until now.

Here's a possible clue. Shortly before this began happening, my interface (or something) began acting up outside of Logic. Once in a while, I'll be using the MOTU interface to watch a youtube video or listen in iTunes and all of a sudden the sound will become garbled and static-laden until I reset the interface.

I'm aware that reinstalling the MOTU software and restoring the device to factory settings may solve the problem, but I wanted to reach out before I did this and see if anyone has had this experience with a similar setup or can steer me in the right direction. I'll look to see if MOTU has an update as well; perhaps since I upgraded to Mavericks recently something ain't lining up proper. I searched for this topic but there doesn't seem to be any accounts of it. Thanks for reading:)

Logic Pro 9.1.8

OS X 10.9.4 (recently upgraded to Mavericks)

Mid2010 15"MCP, 2.54 i5, SSD, 8GBram

MOTU Ultralite MK3 Interface

I would start over and check the preferences.

Set Plug-in Latency Compensation to All and Software Monitoring and Software Monitoring engaged.

Your Adaptive Limiter can be on engaged on the Output as long as you remember to turn Low Latency mode on.

Thats's it.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.4)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Thanks for the correspondence. I went through and double checked all these settings. And it's just happened again, but this time not while recording or playback - only while the track was armed, practicing a vocal through it. No limiter, everything in low latency mode (aux buses colored orange and nothing but a compressor & EQ on the channel strip). Same issue: audio hiccuped and then noticeable latency. Any ideas of what to try next?

Did that. Same issue.

edited to state: Here's a possible clue. I was just recording in a quantized drum track (audio), and this issue happened in the middle of the recording. Upon playback, I notice the timing is altered after the click and latency change. Meaning, the actually altered the timing of the recording, from where it started. Curious!

No. And keep in mind that this is also happening during simple playback, with no track armed for recording. I usually disarm the track for playback because the sound is different when it's armed for record (not sure why - probably a latency mode artifact).

I should probably add - for possible hint sake - that sometimes I get a strange windy static sound. When this happens, it's worse when the channel is armed for record. It's louder. Usually I restart my interface to solve it (temporarily). This isn't a constant problem but it does happen and perhaps it can shed light on the final issue.

Looks like my MacBook has 2.0 USB.

The MOTU is connected via Firewire. Sometimes I use the built in interface as audio, for listening while I cook. I can't record anything that way, though, so I wouldn't know how the latency is, but the audio sounds fine.

I did another factory reset on the MOTU yesterday, and so far the issue is happening less, although it has happened a few times, which is way more than I'd like.

edited to include, it seems like my interface might be the problem. I was just working in Logic, everything cool, and I closed the project and loaded up another to listen, and I got no sound whatsoever. I tested iTunes to see if it would come through, and the audio was all broken up, stuttering like a golden tremolo effect. Yuck. So I restarted MOTU and now it's fine. I'm still hearing little clip sounds during Logic playback, which has also been happening.

I believe the USB drive is 5400. The system report says it can handle up to 480 Mb/sec. Sometimes I record to it, sometimes to my internal drive. I was just listening to a Logic session - without any record-enabled tracks active - from my internal drive - and it made the same skipping sound that means it changed latency.

Eric, which firmware are you referring to?