Recording Electric Drums as Midi file [SOLVED]

mikeo228

Hey all,

So I'm kinda new to logic and I would like to record my electric drums (Roland TD-11) as a Midi file so I can use the sounds from the kits module. I don't wanna use a software instrument. Every time I create a Midi track and try to record my kit, it records the drums properly but when I play it back I cannot hear it through my headphones or out of the computer speakers. It is not the output settings because I make sure the proper output is selected and have messed around with it. Anyone know whats going on?

i think you're confused about what midi is. midi will trigger a software instrument. if you want to use the sounds from the actual module on the td-11, you'll have to record the live audio of that as you play. the only way you'd be able to use midi to trigger those sounds in that module is if you import the audio files from the module into some sort of sampler like the exs24. you won't hear midi though unless that midi is triggering something. make sense?

i think you're confused about what midi is. midi will trigger a software instrument. if you want to use the sounds from the actual module on the td-11, you'll have to record the live audio of that as you play. the only way you'd be able to use midi to trigger those sounds in that module is if you import the audio files from the module into some sort of sampler like the exs24. you won't hear midi though unless that midi is triggering something. make sense?

Sounds like you're a little confused yourself! I mean, yes, he could do what you're suggesting if he wanted to create a software instrument "version" of his TD-11. But it sounds like he just wants to trigger the TD-11's sounds using an external MIDI track, just like you would normally do with any MIDI-capable external hardware (or even software) instrument.

@ mikeo228, in case you also want to play the TD's sounds through Logic (be it to be able to process the audio with Logic's plug-ins in, or to record to an audio track), there are several ways to approach that.

But first, please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Please tell us what you're using for a MIDI interface as well.

J.

The TD-11 only has stereo outs, Your choices are to either trigger a virtual instrument.

Live with a stereo recording of the TD-11.

Isolate and record each element, use the mute tool in the piano roll.

Then you can record the kick, make another pass for the snare and so on.

Create an EXS instrument of the TD-11 kit, or convert audio region to new sampler track.

Then you can edit the instrument for multi-output, that would allow you to process each output independenly.

8)

The TD-11 only has stereo outs, Your choices are to either trigger a virtual instrument.

Huh? It also has a MIDI Out plus a USB port for both audio and MIDI.

Create an EXS instrument of the TD-11 kit, or convert audio region to new sampler track.

Then you can edit the instrument for multi-output, that would allow you to process each output independenly.

Nope, you don't have to go through that, you can use it as an external MIDI instrument.

If you installed its driver and are using its USB port to connect it to the computer, to use it as an external instrument with Logic:

-Set Local Control to "Off" (on the TD11's MIDI Settings...check the TD11's manual, page 37 for more info on the Local Control setting and why you should turn it off when using it as a sound module with a DAW ).

-Create an external MIDI track in Logic (it will be easier if you leave the "Use external MIDI Instrument plug-in" option checked under "Details" when creating the external MIDI track, as the plug-in will allow you to send MIDI and receive audio).

-Set the MIDI channel on the external instrument plug-in so that it matches the MIDI channel the TD11 is set to respond to (by default, MIDI channel 10).

-To receive audio from the TD11 via USB, make sure it is set as the input device in logic's audio preferences.

J.

Huh? It also has a MIDI Out plus a USB port for both audio and MIDI.

Nope, you don't have to go through that, you can use it as an external MIDI instrument.

If you installed its driver and are using its USB port to connect it to the computer, to use it as an external instrument with Logic:

-Set Local Control to "Off" (on the TD11's MIDI Settings...check the TD11's manual, page 37 for more info on the Local Control setting and why you should turn it off when using it as a sound module with a DAW ).

-Create an external MIDI track in Logic (it will be easier if you leave the "Use external MIDI Instrument plug-in" option checked under "Details" when creating the external MIDI track, as the plug-in will allow you to send MIDI and receive audio).

-Set the MIDI channel on the external instrument plug-in so that it matches the MIDI channel the TD11 is set to respond to (by default, MIDI channel 10).

-To receive audio from the TD11 via USB, make sure it is set as the input device in logic's audio preferences.

J.

Doh! I meant to quote his second question, about mixing the drums in Logic.

:roll: :mrgreen:

Ok everyone thanks for the help. I got my kit to record in logic as a midi track. However, the drum track will only play back through my headphones, not out of the computer. any thoughts? (when i removed the headphones I changed my output back to built in output so thats not the problem)

Ok everyone thanks for the help. I got my kit to record in logic as a midi track. However, the drum track will only play back through my headphones, not out of the computer. any thoughts? (when i removed the headphones I changed my output back to built in output so thats not the problem)

J.

But when i unplug my drum kit from my computer i won't be able to select it as an input device. for example, I'm sitting in my room and wanna listen to a playback of the drum track and have speakers connected to my computer. however, i cannot hear the drum track when i play it back. the output is set as built in output

But when i unplug my drum kit from my computer i won't be able to select it as an input device.

And why would you want to unplug it?

for example, I'm sitting in my room and wanna listen to a playback of the drum track and have speakers connected to my computer. however, i cannot hear the drum track when i play it back.

Have you followed the instructions I provided?

the output is set as built in output

If the output device is set to built-in output, all audio in your Logic project is going to come out your computer's speakers, not those other speakers you have.

You need to provide the requested info (click the link in my first post in this thread), otherwise you make it difficult for people to help you.

J.

Your input device is set to "None". Set it to the TD11 (since I don't have a TD11, I don't know what the actual name it will have in that menu, but it should be pretty easy to figure out once you see it).

While you're there, uncheck the "Input monitoring only for focused track, and record-enabled tracksW preference.

J.

it won't, i understand now. so how would you go about recording electronic drums? the kits in logic don't have enough triggers for me to be able to play what I want. for example, when i hit the edge of the hi hat on my electric kit, no sound is recorded in logic when using say the portland kit. this is also the case when i hit anything besides the top of the cymbals of my kit. how would you go about recording electric drums so i can still use the sounds generated by my kit and then be able to play it back while my kit is disconnected from my computer?

First you need to understand the difference between audio and MIDI:

when i hit the edge of the hi hat on my electric kit, no sound is recorded in logic when using say the portland kit

No sound will be recorded in that scenario. MIDI will be recorded. In your case, none of the MIDI notes coming in from your kit are triggering any sounds in the Portland kit. This is a mapping issue (which can be solved by remapping...several ways to do that).

how would you go about recording electric drums so i can still use the sounds generated by my kit and then be able to play it back while my kit is disconnected from my computer?

Here audio will come into play: You'll have to record the audio coming from your drum kit to an audio track.

And about the mapping issue, start by hanging the map in the Drum Kit Designer plug-in to "V-Drum", see if that helps.

1837836439_ScreenShot2014-08-26at21_33_22.png.87364cec340a88310193619e7d404217.png

J.

Sounds like you're a little confused yourself! I mean, yes, he could do what you're suggesting if he wanted to create a software instrument "version" of his TD-11. But it sounds like he just wants to trigger the TD-11's sounds using an external MIDI track, just like you would normally do with any MIDI-capable external hardware (or even software) instrument.

J.

not confused at all. i know exactly what midi does. i explained what midi does. i wasn't incorrect in saying that midi is used to trigger software instruments. midi itself does not make a sound. as you can see now by what has happened in the thread, i'm pretty sure i was understanding what he was wanting to do. i think he was confused on how midi worked. now he just needs to figure out how to map his td-11 properly to get it to trigger the virtual kit properly.

not confused at all. i know exactly what midi does. i explained what midi does. i wasn't incorrect in saying that midi is used to trigger software instruments. midi itself does not make a sound. as you can see now by what has happened in the thread, i'm pretty sure i was understanding what he was wanting to do. i think he was confused on how midi worked. now he just needs to figure out how to map his td-11 properly to get it to trigger the virtual kit properly.

I didn't say you don't know what MIDI does.

What I meant was that you misinterpreted the problem to the point of suggesting the OP created a sampler instrument based on his TD11's sounds (which you said was the only way he'd be able to use midi to trigger those sounds in that module). And that's just simply not true.

J.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm having the same problem that mike228 had. I dry to record midi from my TD-15 in Logic, and I can see the midi region created in my midi track, but I can't hear it through my speakers nor headphones. I've uninstalled and re-installed the TD-15 driver from the website, and followed the instructions in this post, but nothing changes. I want to get the midi/drum sounds from my TD-15 so I can record a demo of my band next weekend, and I'd prefer to go the midi path rather than the straight audio from my TD-15.

My set up is as follows:

iMac 27-Inch, Mid 2011, Version 10.10.2

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core 15

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

TD-15 (with Local Control set to "Off")

I'm using the TASCAM US-1800 as my output device. I've tried to switch from using this to using the internal speakers as my output device but that made no difference.

So when I try to create a midi track, I select Use External Instrument plug-in, and I see that my Input device: defaults to US-1800 (Bit Accurate), and it would let me set my input between 1-16. So I change my Input device to TD-15 44.1kHz. Now the only input options I have are: Input 1, Input 2, and Input 1+2. Where would I set the midi channnel to 10?

In terms of my Output, I have it set to US-1800-1, Output 1+2 so the sound comes out my speakers/headphones. In know the Tascam is working because all my other instruments come through fine.

Can someone please help me out here...extremely frustrated.

Thanks,

Terry

So when I try to create a midi track, I select Use External Instrument plug-in, and I see that my Input device: defaults to US-1800 (Bit Accurate), and it would let me set my input between 1-16. So I change my Input device to TD-15 44.1kHz. Now the only input options I have are: Input 1, Input 2, and Input 1+2. Where would I set the midi channnel to 10?

In the External Instrument ;

set "MIDI Destination" to your TD-15

set "Input" to 1+2 (if your input device is set to TD-15)

(or better, keep Logic's Input Device as US-1800 and connect the audio output of your TD-15 to 2 inputs on your US-1800 using audio cables and set those inputs as "Input" in the External Instrument)

Why would you set the midi channel to 10 ?

Thank you so much for your response. So I did what you said in your first 2 bullets, and I got playback through the headphones connected to the TD-15. However, I still get nothing playing out of the headphones and speakers connected to my US-1800.

To elaborate on my goal here, I want to multi-track my band using my US-1800 and Logic. My preference is to use the midi sounds from my TD-15. I want to ensure that everyone can obviously hear all instruments through their headphones connected to my Behringer headphone amp which is fed from my US-1800.

If I can't figure this out by Friday, then I'll have to go the audio output route as you suggest, rather than the USB/midi route, but I prefer to have the capacity to edit via midi.

Regarding your last comment, the "midi channel" is set to 10 by default on the TD-15. Not sure if that's relevant...

Thanks again!

Terry

Thank you so much for your response. So I did what you said in your first 2 bullets, and I got playback through the headphones connected to the TD-15. However, I still get nothing playing out of the headphones and speakers connected to my US-1800.

That's strange... Can you see audio signal in the level meter on the external instrument channel strip when you playback ?

To elaborate on my goal here, I want to multi-track my band using my US-1800 and Logic. My preference is to use the midi sounds from my TD-15. I want to ensure that everyone can obviously hear all instruments through their headphones connected to my Behringer headphone amp which is fed from my US-1800.

If you have enough inputs available on you US-1800, then I would connect the audio outputs from TD15 to US-1800 instead,

since you probably want to use the US-1800 as the input device in Logic when doing multi tracking.

It is possible to use multiple input devices in Logic, but that includes creating an aggregate device, never tried that myself,

and I've read that this sometimes could cause unwanted behavior, add latency etc.