Is it possible to achieve this type of routing?

lip5016

I was wondering if it's possible to achieve this sort of routing.. Basically, I have my entire project divided up into 4 group busses for group compression..

1. Drums

2. Synths

3. Bass

4. FX

Now the problem is that I'm not the best mixer in the world when it comes to balancing all the audio levels for an entire project, so I figured it would probably be useful to divide the track up into 3 "parts" (Intro/outro, break, drop)... my idea is that I can mix each section on it's own, get the levels all proper for just the "intro" for example, and then have a buss where I only have to worry about 1 slider to affect the overall volume of that entire section.. Now the problem is, how would I go about this kind of routing so that I can have each section on it's own "sub-master" buss, but only use that buss for volume leveling, and still be able to have all my track components fed into their appropriate group busses (drums, synths, bass, fx)?

Any ideas? Thanks!

You would have to put the different sections on different tracks, which could get cumbersome. Alternatively you could consider automating bus sends, which could get cumbersome as well.

In the end, it is more efficient to use track automation to change the level of each individual tracks for each specific section as needed.

If it's a simple straight forward song I would follow Dave's suggestion to simply use the automation.

On some projects I did...

- I had a really soft intro or verse and then a loud metal part

- or electronic drums changing over the real drums...

- or 2 different vocalists..

etc... I do exactly what you said. I route all the "intro tracks" to an intro bus. All the "e-drums" to... All the "a-drums" to...and yes, the mixer can easily have 70-100 faders. And yes, you have to be organised !!!

Over the years I fixed all my busses / sends / groups on a simple sheet of paper and I always use the same schema.

off topic:

@ Apple: 64 busses really isn't enough for big sessions