Sudden Latency Issues

noisenet

Hi all. I've been using Logic Pro X pretty much since it was released last year. This week I'm suddenly experiencing some pretty bad latency issues. For instance, in a project with only one track (guitar input directly to interface, with OR without a plugin amp modeler loaded) and one MP3 guide track. I'll be playing through the track, NOT recording, and will all of a sudden start getting latency. This ranges from barely noticeable to upwards of a half second or more and the onset is sudden, not gradual.

This has happened using both an Apogee Jam (1st gen) and a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Right now my i/o buffer is set at 64 samples.

This has been happening while running an Amp Modeling plugin, however if I then disable or even remove the plugin, the latency remains. If I switch to another track with no plugins loaded, the latency remains. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to Quit and relaunch Logic.

EDIT: Additionally, if I then plug my guitar into a different input device and set the track to this new input, the latency is still present. In other words, once it shows up, it's present on every input device. Reloading Core Audio also seems to reset it but it only lasts a few seconds, then the latency returns.

As I said, I've been running LPX since it's release and this is new....

Does anyone have any ideas on this? With this going on I can't work....

When you suffer the latency, have you tried using the low latency mode to see wether or not it helps?

I would also try testing the behavior with the built-in input, taking your Focusrite out of the equation. If the problem disappears, then the issue is with the Focusrite drivers: you can first try reinstalling the most recent drivers for your machine, and if the problem persists, contact Focusrite.

Thanks David for responding,

Well, interestingly, this behavior started with an Apogee Jam interface. After it kept happening I switched to the Focusrite and got the same behavior.

Now, I was using a BETA of a new amp modeler that I'm testing when this originally happened. After I clearedd the BETA and used Amplitube it seemed to clear up, however later in the day I ws laying some tracks with a Mic'd Marshall and once again started getting latency. This time, however, relaunching Logic did not clear up the problem.

I was using low latency mode - that's one of my 'always' steps when tracking.

As far as the built in input, I don't think I have anything I can run into the miniplug connection. The fact that it's happening with two separate interfaces, from two different manufacturers seems to me to be an indicator that I've got something wacky going on...

Now, I was using a BETA of a new amp modeler that I'm testing when this originally happened. After I clearedd the BETA and used Amplitube it seemed to clear up, however later in the day I ws laying some tracks with a Mic'd Marshall and once again started getting latency. This time, however, relaunching Logic did not clear up the problem.

Sounds like you have at least 2 different latency issues going on.

One with the beta plug-in.

One with latency induced by other plug-ins on aux and outputs or/and complex routing.

A third one could be caused by driver malfunction.

It's pretty hard to troubleshoot this with 3 possible causes.

If you are eager to get to the bottom of this I would suggest working with a new empty project and testing these things out one by one trying to recreate the issue.

• 8 months later...
I bring this topic on the top, because I have exact same problem, and it's critial for live performance. It can happens witl Logic, MainStage (best for live performance LOL), or even some other software, like stand-alone Guitar Rig. It's definitely Core Audio problem with synchronization, that I try to get rid of on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116543

I bring this topic on the top, because I have exact same problem, and it's critial for live performance. It can happens witl Logic, MainStage (best for live performance LOL), or even some other software, like stand-alone Guitar Rig. It's definitely Core Audio problem with synchronization, that I try to get rid of on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116543

Please keep the discussion in your original thread, thanks!

Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#3)

J.