Cant write Nord CC info into track automation

knobworld

Have been wrestling with this for a day- so I'm reaching out for some help.

I'm trying to use the pedal from my Nord Stage to write CC11 info into track automation. (Target plugin is Omnisphere running under VEP5) Controller moves show up In Logic Counter display and in the Midi environment, but will not record as automation in a track.

Read all the threads recommending going into touch or latch mode and have tried this (and used in L9) but for some reason I can't get any Nord CCs to write to the track automation.

If I go into record I can record the automation. I saw David's post saying that CCs would not record to track auto if assigned, but I don't think I have assigned it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

There are two types of automation in Logic: TBA and RBA?

TBA: Track Based Automation, non MIDI data pertaining to the track.

RBA: Region Based Automation, MIDI data pertaining to the region and could be (also) edited via MIDI Draw

CCs coming from your Nord are RBA and being MIDI data, which normally require to be recorded in a region.

You can convert RBA to TBA (and vice-versa) if need be.

Have you tried the Automation Quick Access ?

Thanks for the quick getback. I follow you on RBA vs TBA. Shouldn't I be able to write RBA by just moving a controller while the tack automation is armed?

It seems like I have been doing this forever without a problem.

Quick Access sees the controller but in that window I don't know how to get the controller to write to CC11. (which it already is...:-/)

Thanks for the quick getback. I follow you on RBA vs TBA. Shouldn't I be able to write RBA by just moving a controller while the tack automation is armed?

AFAIK, I don't think so...

Interesting... How did you proceed?

Quick Access sees the controller but in that window I don't know how to get the controller to write to CC11. (which it already is...:-/)

Did you follow (after reading top to bottom) the described procedure in the documented url provided on my previous post?

Logic published documentation are like legal literature, every comma counts...

Thanks David-

i read your earlier post to that effect and did that. Which solved my initial problem- that the controller wasn't showing up in the Logic MIDI window at first. It now shows up everywhere including in the environment MIDI input view window. But as I said it won't record in the track in the arrange page. Unless I am actually in Record.So I guess I'm just trying to figure out why the behavior is different that it usually is.

BTW The MIDI and controller data is coming from the NORD via a USB interface (Motu Midi Express XT) Sure wish they would make the data available at the USB port on the Nord...

it won't record in the track in the arrange page. Unless I am actually in Record.So I guess I'm just trying to figure out why the behavior is different that it usually is.

The behavior you describe is normal:

TBA: You assign a knob to a parameter, set the track to touch or latch and press play, tweak the knob, TBA gets recorded onto the track's automation lanes.

RBA: You do NOT assign the knob to anything, R-enable the track and press record, tweak the knob, RBA gets recorded as MIDI data inside the MIDI region on the track.

Interesting... How did you proceed?

May be hallucinating but it seems as though I have always ben able to write controller info in this way- track selected in Arrange page/automation in Touch or latch/hit play/move controller and cc info is written to a region.

Oh wait. I'm such an idiot. I have to capture the controller performance and then the controller info is written to the track. I thought that it displayed graphically in the track as I was doing it. Did it work that way in 9? Oh Well.

Thanks Atlas and David for your replies!

Did you follow (after reading top to bottom) the described procedure in the documented url provided on my previous post?

Logic published documentation are like legal literature, every comma counts...

Yep- but I couldn't find a way to enter CC11 or "expression" as my target. Moving the software fader in The VEP plug in environment, not surprisingly, did zip.

Also RTFM but that did not yield the info I needed.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

May be hallucinating but it seems as though I have always ben able to write controller info in this way- track selected in Arrange page/automation in Touch or latch/hit play/move controller and cc info is written to a region.

Oh wait. I'm such an idiot. I have to capture the controller performance and then the controller info is written to the track. I thought that it displayed graphically in the track as I was doing it. Did it work that way in 9? Oh Well.

The behavior was always the same in all versions of Logic: to record MIDI (including RBA which is nothing but MIDI Controller events), R-enable the track and press Record. Setting the track to touch or latch and pressing play wouldn't record anything if the MIDI CC sent by the knob is unassigned in Logic.