How to interact my Alesis SR-16 drum machine with Logic X?

ZillaG

I want to a MIDI track using my Alesis SR-16. (I can figure this out probably) I then want to edit the MIDI data and send it back to my drum machine and record the sounds from my drum machine. How do I get Logic to control my drum machine so it "starts" the drum machine to play the MIDI data? Does this make sense?

Chris

Edited by ZillaG

Alesis MIDI Out > MIDI Interface MIDI In

MIDI Interface MIDI Out > Alesis MIDI In

Alesis Audio Out > Audio Interface Audio In

In Logic Pro, create a software instrument track and in the instrument slot, choose External > Stereo.

In the External Instrument plug-in:

MIDI Destination = MIDI Out from MIDI Interface connected to Alesis' MIDI In

Input = Audio Ins from Audio Interface connected to Alesis' Audio out

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you David, I will try this.

BTW, as my sig suggests, I've upgraded to Logic Pro X. I bought your book and it's been a life saver. It helped me learned the "mechanics" of Logic X which helps me in my workflow. I've used Logic 9 before but I learned it ad-hoc.

• 4 years later...

Hi David,

I did this "5 years ago" when I initially posted this article, and was successful. I've done since been recording with live musicians, so I have not used my drum machine, til now. But now I can't find my notes on how to do this.

I've set up my physical connections as you've suggested, and can hear my drum machine. Now how I make Logic X "start" my drum machine and start recording, that is, when I press "Record" on Logic X, the SR-16 starts playing? Thanks again.

I found a "workaround" (or maybe this is what I did before).

I set my software and audio channels record mode, then press Record on Logic X. I then press Play button on my drum machine, which starts recording both MIDI and audio information. Of course in this case, recording starts at time > 0. When done, I just shift all my recored data to time "0."

I don't know if there's a better way to do this?