How to keep Quantize OFF permanently in Inspector ?!?

m29

This is really driving me crazy.

1.) I'm in the arrange window, no regions are selected. In the inspector, the Region: Midi Thru "quantize" is OFF.

2.) Now I'm in the piano roll, and in the piano roll's quantize section, I choose 1/16 and quantize the notes.

3.) Now back in the arrange window, no regions are selected. The Region:Midi Thru in the Inspector now shows

1/16 quantize. WTF ?

This means that if I record another part to any regions, it will automatically quantize to 1/16 (and not destructively either).

I don't want that !! On top of that, if I now record 32nd notes, it will be quantized to 16th notes automatically. I find I have

to constantly turn "quantize OFF" in the region inspector menu. Constantly jumping back and forth between the quantize

in the piano roll and the quantize in Inspector. Ridiculous.

How can I keep the quantize in the Midi Thru permanently OFF. This never happened in Logic 9.

1.) I'm in the arrange window, no regions are selected. In the inspector, the Region: Midi Thru "quantize" is OFF.

2.) Now I'm in the piano roll, and in the piano roll's quantize section, I choose 1/16 and quantize the notes.

3.) Now back in the arrange window, no regions are selected. The Region:Midi Thru in the Inspector now shows

1/16 quantize. WTF ?

Something wrong there. I'm not getting that behavior here. Either your project's become corrupted or Logic's preference file. There should be no connection between the event-based quantization in the piano roll and the region-based quantization nor the MIDI thru quantization in the region inspector.

Verify the behavior on a new empty project. If nothing changes quit Logic and trash its preference file.

J.

I just trash Logic's preference and opened a completely new empty project. It still does it.

The moment I change the quantize (and even strength) in the piano roll, it'll be reflected in

the MIDI THRU in the inspector as well.

I've now changed how I quantize events. I just do my quantizing with Inspector now and bypass

the one in the piano roll. Not what I'm used to, but it keeps me from pulling my hair out.

I'm afraid I can confirm this behaviour. I just tried it, and it happened as described. I undid, tried again, and it would not repeat. However, "sometimes" the Inspectors' thru quantize setting of the track will go to 1/16 if I hit the Q key, and sometimes not... :?

OK, I found a reliably repeatable simple recipe:

1. select a MIDI track,

2. select a region on it,

3. select some notes in the piano roll,

4. quantize those (also if they already are quantized, it doesn't matter for this test if they move or not) via key command (Q or ctrl-Q) or the Q button in the Piano Roll inspector,

5. deselect the region, and

6. hit the quantize command again. The Inspectors' MIDI thru quantize parameter will jump from off to the quantize value.

Seems like a bug to me, though it could also be by design... ?

I'm afraid I can confirm this behaviour. I just tried it, and it happened as described. I undid, tried again, and it would not repeat. However, "sometimes" the Inspectors' thru quantize setting of the track will go to 1/16 if I hit the Q key, and sometimes not... :?

OK, I found a reliably repeatable simple recipe:

1. select a MIDI track,

2. select a region on it,

3. select some notes in the piano roll,

4. quantize those (also if they already are quantized, it doesn't matter for this test if they move or not) via key command (Q or ctrl-Q) or the Q button in the Piano Roll inspector,

5. deselect the region, and

6. hit the quantize command again. The Inspectors' MIDI thru quantize parameter will jump from off to the quantize value.

OK! After doing all that I can get it to happen here as well.

Seems like a bug to me too, and a what weird way to get it to manifest itself! You know, why would one want to hit the Quantize command with the Piano Roll out of focus/no region selected?

J.

why would one want to hit the Quantize command with the Piano Roll out of focus/no region selected?

J.

I don't think that's a matter of wanting something, more of "oops, typo". But now we know this actually is the way to set that particular parameter without using a mouse...! ? :? :?: 8) :idea: :arrow: :mrgreen:

Scenario: record the first verse's synthcarpet, quantize that, then think: "O well, I might as well quantize that on input when recording my next regions on this track, if only there was a quick and simple way to set that without using my mouse..."

It can't be by design ? None of Logic's previous versions exhibited this behavior.

And it causes too many unnecessary mouse clicks.

Anyhow, I'm getting quite use to quantizing with the Inspector. Just have to

remind myself to "apply quantize destructively" often now.

I'd say the whole quantize thing is a bit buggy. Even in the piano roll,

I found that if you set the strength to any figure other than 100%, it'll

still quantize at 100% regardless (sometimes). Like you have to move

the strength slider once in awhile to "wake it up."

• 11 months later...
I don't get it!

You press Q when focus is on the tracks area and MIDI Through changes to quantise 16th notes.

Is that really a bug?

Apparently pressing Q in the Tracks area applies the Piano Roll or Event List (apparently choosing the last one you used?) quantize pop-up menu value to the selected regions, or to MIDI Thru when no regions are selected.

Hard to say if it's a bug or what they intended, but it's a bit odd to say the least. If your Event List is set to 1/8th Note, your Piano Roll set to 1/4th Note, but you don't remember which one you used last, there's no telling what pressing Q in the Tracks area will do!

I see.

It's odd that the Quantize pop-up menus in the Event List and Piano Roll would affect anything other than what happens respectively in the Event List and Piano Roll.

Also there's no saying which one of the two will be applied to the Region inspector when pressing Q, unless you remember which one you changed last.

I would expect a key command that "does something to selected events" to do nothing when no event is selected.

Also there's no saying which one of the two will be applied to the Region inspector when pressing Q, unless you remember which one you changed last.

Why would you want to use two different Q values in the Piano Roll and the Event list respectively?

You most likely would want the one you changed last and if not you can just change it since it's non destructive.

I would expect a key command that "does something to selected events" to do nothing when no event is selected.

I understand what you mean.

It could be a good idea to have a safety measure but I'm still having a hard time classifying this as a bug.

Another thing that puzzles me is that this isn't new behaviour. It behaved exactly the same in Logic Pro 9 if memory serves me correct.

It may make for a good workflow once you understand how it works, but it's not an obvious behavior. I rarely use the Q key command so never noticed this behavior, but given the location of the Quantize pop-up menus (in sub editors' local inspectors) and the name of the key command, this is not the behavior I would have expected.

Why would you want to use two different Q values in the Piano Roll and the Event list respectively?

I may be using the Piano Roll to quantize one instrument, or one section, and later the Event list to quantize another instrument, or another section.... with a different Q value... that happens all the time.

• 8 months later...

I definitely agree with David ... This for me does qualify as a bug ... But anyways regardless of that, This was definitely one excellent feature ..to have two independent quantize settings in the Piano Roll & in the region inspector .. normally i keep the quantize setting in the region inspector to Off, & inside the Piano Roll to whatever default value fits the project best musically (in terms of the rhythm) ... This way i can keep a take as un quantized & if just certain passages need to be tightened up, i select those particular notes in the Piano Roll, hit Q & done ... i know one can cut the regions & quantize them separately but this is not a good work around ...

So the question is, has this issue been resolved as of 10.2.2 ?

Thank You for Your time ...

• 2 weeks later...