Working with Inconsistent Tempo

ojan327

Hey what's going on everyone. It's been a long time since I've been on here.. I'm still working with Logic 9.

Anyway, I have a song here with a tempo that changes slightly, continually. There's no consistent tempo throughout the song.

I am trying to use a 6-second sample of the song and loop it so that it stays on beat with the entire song. If the song's tempo was consistent, this would be simple, because I just use the bpm counter, and my sample lines up perfectly.

In this case, I am sure I can successfully get the loop to sound good/seamless enough. It may take a lot of work and I'm willing to do it, but I was hoping I might be able to get some tips and tricks to make it easier.

Something like extracting where the drum beats are so I can view them in MIDI form would help to line up the loop more easily, and I could use flex time to fill in the gaps by stretching the audio file slightly at the spots where I cut and drag the audio (it will be so slight that it will hardly be discernible)

Thanks ya'll!

Ok that helps a lot… Thank you.

I remember there being a way to process an audio region so that the transients (kicks and snares) appear in MIDI form?

This would save me the trouble of having to listen to the original every time I line up a section, because the vocal often makes it hard to decipher where the beats hit

It is a labor intensive ordeal.
Haha, Believe me, I feel you…