Saving a large file

dirtystopout

I've been looking through this forum for the answer to my dilemma, as I can't find it I'm thinking it's a Mac issue rather than Logic, but I'm going to ask anyway..... if I try to bounce a large file i.e. over 1gb, I get a message that tells me that I've exceeded the file size, how do I increase the file size? Any help would be life saving! Thanks in advance.

That's odd. I know of no file format that only goes to 1 GB - are you sure there is enough room, on whichever disk you're bouncing it to? And what kind of file is it? (Format, bitdepth, samplefrequency).

Recording File Type pop-up menu: Determines the file type for recorded audio.

AIFF: Cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 2 GB.

WAVE (BWF): The most common audio format on Windows PC computers. Files are stored as Broadcast Wave files, which contain timestamp information in the file header. The WAV file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 4 GB.

CAF: Choose this setting if you’re going to record files larger than 4 GB.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcp0ed343a9

This doesn't compute here:

2 hours at 16 bit 44.1 kHz (?*) stereo amounts to an uncompressed PCM (=.Wav or AIFF or .CAF) file of 4 x 44,100 x 7,200 = 4 x 44.1 k x 7.2 k = 1.27 GB. If you'ld convert that to an 256 kbps (?**) MP3, it would only be about 250 MB in size.

What you didn't mention: is it a stereo mix? (I assumed so) *What is the sample frequency, 44.1 kHz or something else? **What is the bitrate of your MP3?

Well, none of this makes sense. .wav can go to 4 GB, MP3 has no size restriction, and the time in your previous screenshot calculates to a file size that is half that of what it says (120 minutes 16 bit 44.1 kHz stereo amounts to 1.2 GB, not 2.4 GB). Are you sure the PCM type is .wav, not AIFF? (even though it clearly says so in your bounce window)

Also, could you show the bounce windows' MP3 settings? Click inside the green box. (later edit: I read over your MP3 setting you posted. So it's at 320 kbps. For 120 minutes, that should deliver a file of roughly 290 MB (320 x 7,200 kilobits = 320 x 900 kilobytes = 288 MB) . So why your bounce window says that 2.4 GB space is needed, I don't get. If all settings are as shown, you should need only about 1.5 GB.

955282227_pic2014-09-16at11_05_37.PNG.1e372946716f85548e828e85dad68524.PNG

AND:

What happens if you try these things:

1. Bounce only to AIFF?

2. Bounce only to WAV?

3. set PCM to .WAV, but only bounce an m4a.?

I have just been looking through some of the audio preferences and it seems that the recording format was in AIFF like you said, so I've changed it to WAVE (BWF), is that correct?

Well, the recording format is not relevant to the bouncing format, they are not connected in any way, so that should not make a difference.

I'm only hoping now that I'm overlooking something, even though I don't think so. I'd be curious to hear what Eric Cardenas or Jordi Torres or David Nahmani (or anybody else who knows) think about this.

Have you tried the other three bounces that I asked for?

• 2 months later...

I had exactly the same issue as dirtystopout, basically it seemed Logic was calculating the size of a PCM bounce, regardless of what I had ticked in the bounce window. I got round it by changing the settings under PCM to the lowest resolution and sample rate so that Logic calculated a file size smaller than the maximum for a WAV (4GB), then bounced it with just MP3 ticked.

This feels like a bug of some sort, and I've never had/noticed it happen before - could it be Yosemite-induced?

FWIW: iMac Intel Core i5 / 3.1 GHz / 12GB RAM / OSX 10.10.1 / Logic 9.1.8