Help with logic 8 microkorg set up

age1000

1st i need to know if i have logic8 and microkorg xl set correctly Or where i have gone wrong. My goal is to have tracks playing microkorg sounds recordable with midi and on other tracks playing various vsts and audio via the keyboard

how do i go about this ?

At the moment i seem to be able to play sounds from the microkorg by clicking any "i" on any track. but cant get it to play anything else in logic.

although i can hear korgs sounds i think i have set it up incorrectly, i notice it says no in no out on the bottom info strip on logic but all seems else seems fine.. is it set up correctly ?

another question i have on the microkorg xl to do what i want i believe local setting has to be off for playing other software and on for playing its own sounds but my problem is i cant seem to get both on separate channels, its either off or on when assigned to different midi channels.

if anyone uses this equipment or can help/advise would be much appreciated.

tnx,

Age.

1st i need to know if i have logic8 and microkorg xl set correctly Or where i have gone wrong. My goal is to have tracks playing microkorg sounds recordable with midi and on other tracks playing various vsts and audio via the keyboard

how do i go about this ?

For the MicroKorg, you can create either external MIDI tracks that will re-route the MIDI data back to the Korg to trigger its own sounds (you'll have to somehow cable the audio outputs of the Korg back into your Mac and monitor or record them in Logic for them to be part of your mix). Once you've created an external MIDI track, select the microKorg from the Library as a destination.

Or you can create software instrument tracks to trigger soft inst plug-ins.

Then you can create additional audio tracks as desired.

At the moment i seem to be able to play sounds from the microkorg by clicking any "i" on any track. but cant get it to play anything else in logic.

Make sure the microKorg is in "Local Off" mode, or something similar, which means that its keyboard does not trigger its own internal sounds. Instead it routes the MIDI data out of the microKorg, into Logic, and when Logic routes it back to the microKorg (both during recording AND playback), the microKorg is triggered and generates audio.

another question i have on the microkorg xl to do what i want i believe local setting has to be off for playing other software and on for playing its own sounds but my problem is i cant seem to get both on separate channels, its either off or on when assigned to different midi channels.

Keep it off the whole time, even when playing the microKorg's own sound: the MIDI will be routed to the microKorg from those external MIDI tracks I had you create earlier.