Configuring Time Machine Backup

In2Muzikk

One of my hard drives recently "bricked" and no bootup options would work, so I had to remove it. After installing a new (upside: much larger) hard drive, I reinstalled Mavericks and Logic Pro X fresh. Fortunately, my Time Machine backup was working before the crash so I'm able to retrieve my data.

Now I'm ready to configure Time Machine to back up my new system and would like to exclude the "stock" sound banks that don't change and would be reinstalled with the application anyway in the event of another such failure. I looked in the "Logic Pro X" book for "Time Machine" and "back up," but didn't find anything. When I searched for "Time Machine" here in the forum, something like 6,000 posts showed up containing the word "machine."

So I'd like to know if anyone has created a list of "Time Machine file and/or folder exclusions" for Logic Pro X. I'm more than happy to read another post if this has already been covered, seems like a pretty common situation that we would all run into? Thanks!

When I searched for "Time Machine" here in the forum, something like 6,000 posts showed up containing the word "machine."

Admittedly, Google is better at searching than our own search engine I'm afraid. You can enter site:logicprohelp.com "time machine" and it will search that exact two-word sentence throughout our entire forum. Try this: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site%3Alogicprohelp.com%20%22time%20machine%22

I personally do all my backups manually and never use Time Machine.

Thanks for this great tip, David! Here's the best resource that I've found so far, which was actually about moving samples to an external hard disk, but imo it should apply equally well for backup exclusions:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97481

I also have Komplete 9, and found the sample files in the users/shared folder. I actually found two instances of this folder on different hard drives, and they were almost the same size. I'm sure that when I reinstalled Komplete 9, the samples were installed on a different hard drive than when they were originally installed long ago, so deleting the old folder will save me a good chunk (about 78GB) of hard drive space (and Time Machine would have diligently backed up both folders)!

I wasn't too sure about using Time Machine as a backup utility, but it worked out quite well for me. After my computer crashed without the ability to use any boot options, I replaced my OS drive in bay #1 with a new one, but the computer still wouldn't boot. The culprit was actually the storage drive in bay #2, and after it "bricked" my system would not boot with this drive located in any bay. I copied my old OS drive using Super Duper! to another external drive so that I would have a working boot drive of the original OS, then reformatted and used it in bay #2 to replace the drive that had failed. Recovering the data on that drive was simple as drag and drop from the corresponding drive on the Time Machine backup, and a few hours later all of my files were restored!

My Logic projects were on another internal storage drive that wasn't affected by the crash. After reinstalling the OS and many applications, I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to start using Logic again. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.