Output Overload whilst recording vocals

JoeBirchley

Hey all, I wonder if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with overloading the OUTPUT channel.

When recording any track I always make sure (for both vocals and guitars) that the audio interface level and recording level in logic is set so that they don't peak however when I hit record and play/sing, the output channel is going through the roof and bright red. When I listen back to recordings there is no distortion/feedback being created so I wondered if its just a simple setting that needs changing?

This is the biggest problem when I'm trying to record vocals with headphones on because when I sing I get a distorted version of the vocal coming through my headphones rather than the clear crisp sound I'm after.

I've been trying numerous things to remove this problem but as I'm not the most technically astute when it comes to computers and the science behind DB, hz etc, I'm just after some advice in Lehman's terms which will enable me to put my Logic system right.

Any advise on how I can fix this issue would be massively appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

Hi Joe.

We need to know a bit more about your system.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.4)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eric,

Not sure of all the details. I use Imac and apogee duet interface. I think the problem is with the interface settings but not knowing everything about how these things work I might be wrong... Is what I explained above quite a common problem. Not sure of all my other spec but can find this out if you can't advise based on these brief details. if this happened to you, where would you troubleshoot first?

Not sure of all the details.
(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Adding all that info (including the info you already shared) in your signature as requested by Eric will allow us to see your whole system at a glance at the bottom of any of your posts, which makes it MUCH easier for all of us to help you! Thanks.

Regarding your issue, you record your vocals at a certain level, then you apply gain in multiple ways in the Logic mixer (volume faders, plug-ins...) which in your case raise the gain to the point of overloading your output channel strip. If you remove all plug-ins and set all volume faders at 0 dB, then the output level is the same as the recording level.

So simply turn down the volume fader on the track you're recording on to turn down the monitoring level (it will not affect your recording level).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! So do you understand now why your output is overloaded (see my previous post)? Can we mark this as SOLVED?

Hi David, sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner. i've only just got back home from a few weeks away.

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice and I thought that advice was going to solve the problem however I'm still peaking out.

I've just done a test whereby I opened a brand new project and created a single audio track to do a vocal on. The track has no plug ins attached and is purely a blank audio track. Ive adjusted the audio interface so that singing a test vocal is showing no louder than -7.6 however the Output channel is red showing 2.4. With this being the case I am still getting a distorted vocal coming through my headphones when I'm trying to record.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm not the strongest on the technical side and am learning as i go but I think my interface software panel might be where the solution lies. For you information, when i just sit silently the channel is running at -23 and the Output channel is -13... in fact I've just noticed that its alway a difference of 10... not sure if this means anything?

Please let me know if there is any other information you need as this problem is really affecting any enjoyment I get with recording vocals. I'm REALLY hoping its possible to record a vocal without having it distorting in my headphones... Dreaming of recording with some reverb!!!!

Any help or advice is massively appreciated.

Thanks

Hi David,

I've attached a screenshot pif the mixers when I've recorded the vocal.

1986500690_ScreenShot2014-10-21at14_39_59.png.fe02ce8eb509026a986355d337d195de.png

Input and Output Screenshot

When Inplay back a recorded vocal track it sounds fine and doesn't ever peak out (distort) because I adjust the interface accordingly before recording.

As you can from the attachment though, the output is peaking out and thus the vocal i hear in my headphones whilst recording is completely distorted.

Do you need any other screenshots? Possibly of the Apogee Duet interface control panels...

Am I right in saying that I should keep all faders to 0db and if I do this there will be no peaking issues?

Your screenshots of the Duet inputs don't show any levels, but the screenshot of your master output has the +6 dB clip indicator.

Is the level on the Mic input hitting yellow?

Also your headphone output is not maxed out. You should crank that if you're having trouble hearing yourself.

You can also bring the stereo output fader down so it doesn't hit red and distort when you record.

I THINK I've managed to resolve the problem now having done a few tests... the audio interfaces output was set too high and consequently throwing out overpowering audio which in turn was causing the feedback.

Thanks for everyones help with this one... I can now record vocals clearly!!!!

Cheers