Pocket Piano MIDI (Critter and Guitari) with Pro X

Seafood Gomez

Hello !

If anyone could point me in a direction to get any of this solved, it's much appreciated! And I did research past threads specifically on this topic.

My basic problem is that I cannot use the Pocket Piano as a Midi controller. I am using a generic USB2.0 In/Out to attempt this. With a very basic Casio keyboard (with Midi ports), i've been successful without any troubleshooting: writing Midi/ playing software instruments, etc.

Furthermore, as stated in this thread-> http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93566, I want to use the pocket piano's arpeggiator modes to show as MIDI events, if possible? And triggers by another midi controller.

The only success I have had was reading MIDI notes from an external midi track and while simultaneously recording the audio from the Pocketpiano (sort of like ReAmping). And to be honest, I don't even remember how I came to that result.

Basically, what I want to be able to do, is use the Pocket piano as a software instrument with all it's vibrato/arpeggiator modes written in MIDI and NOT just audio, so that they can be manipulated later.

The above link to that past thread was using Logic 9, where Duncs was able to solve his issue through the Environment window. Since I am using Logic 10.0.0, what can I do to solve this given the differences between Logic versions?

I am using a generic USB2.0 In/Out to attempt this.

Those are infamous for being unreliable. Do they have a light indicating they are receiving/transmitting MIDI data?

In Logic's control bar, to the left in the LCD display, click the note/metronomne icons and choose "Custom". A panel now says "No in". That's a MIDI input monitor. When you play the pocket piano, do you see the name of the notes/chords appear there?

I know the generic USBs are junk. BUT, it works fine with my Casio. In the control bar, with the Casio plugged in: Signal AND Note info in the custom control bar. With the pocket piano, only when I first plug in the cables to the I/O ports I get a "IN: 1 C - 2 0" and "OUT 1 C - 2 0" for a split second and then "NO IN, NO OUT" when playing notes. Hmm.

Forgot to mention that, I have played the Casio through the Pocket Piano just fine (using a radioshack male to male).

So there shouldn't be any fault in the Pocketpiano's MIDI ports. AND, we can rule out the generic USB as the problem because it works fine with the Casio.

Is there any possibility that this USB is compatible with the Casio but not the PP? I just thought it was - "works or doesn't work"