MIDI ports greyed-out/missing (Logic 9) [SOLVED]

vincent_thrust

Hello

I accidentally removed a soundcard connected by firewire (intending to remove a usb midi controller) yesterday whilst a session was open. I plugged it straight back in with no problem audio-wise but then noticed all midi ports are now greyed-out and Logic will now no longer transmit or receive external midi signals or receive midi to internal instruments.

All physical connections are in place.

Has Logic somehow been 'confused' by the sudden removal of the soundcard?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

Vince

Macbook OSX 10.7.5 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB SDRAM

Logic 9.1.8

Midi Express XT

Hi,

Please add all required information to your signature by clicking this link, this way it will appear in all your posts automatically:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

I accidentally removed a soundcard connected by firewire (intending to remove a usb midi controller) yesterday whilst a session was open. I plugged it straight back in with no problem audio-wise but then noticed all midi ports are now greyed-out and Logic will now no longer transmit or receive external midi signals or receive midi to internal instruments.

All physical connections are in place.

Has Logic somehow been 'confused' by the sudden removal of the soundcard?

Does the soundcard double as a MIDI interface? In other words, does it have MIDI inputs and outputs?

What you describe happens when the number of MIDI devices in your system changes, you should have all options (ports) back when reconnecting what was disconnected (if indeed had MIDI ins and outs).

If your soundcard is just a soundcard (no MIDI), then something else is going on. It would help if you posted a screen shot of what you're seeing.

J.

Hi Jordi,

The Soundcard is separate. It is an old 8 channel Motu.

I'm pretty sure all midi runs through the XT. The studio belongs to friend of mind who is away at the moment, which is why I'm not totally

clear on the set up.

I'll be back in tmrw and will take a screen shot for you.

Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

V

Hi Jordi,

Sorry for late reply, I was away for a couple of days.

I've attached an image. It's actually a photo because I couldn't get a screen shot whilst keeping open the port window.

You'll notice that the Midi XT ports are greyed out and that Logic is also showing 'No In, No Out' at the bottom there.

As I said before, everything is plugged in and has power.

Cheers

Vince

1719682800_Untitled.jpg.8d88c36bfbd135f49dddf20d87f32b8b.jpg

You'll notice that the Midi XT ports are greyed out

While keeping an external MIDI track selected, open the Library pane. What devices/ports do you have listed there? If you don't see any of the MOTU's ports, you should check its state in Audio MIDI Setup (Applications/Utilities), in the MIDI window.

Logic is also showing 'No In, No Out' at the bottom there.

That's what the MIDI Activity Display shows when Logic is currently not receiving or transmitting MIDI. It's normal. It will only show you messages when they come in or go out. It won't tell you anything about the state of MIDI Devices and their ports.

Also, please add the requested information to your signature. Just click the link in my first post in this thread.

J.

If the MOTU appears dimmed in Audio MIDI Setup, it's not being recognized by the system, not just Logic. In other words, Logic's not to blame.

Try rescanning MIDI in Audio MIDI Setup (the button in the tool bar).

If the unit's getting power it doesn't sound like the cable's at fault, but you could try another cable just in case.

If none of that works, maybe trashing Audio MIDI Setup's preference file would help.

J.

Hi, almost forgot about this one.

I rescanned the midi but it just brings up the window in Logic saying 'midi port no longer exists'.

Like I said before. The problem with your MOTU is system-wide. You should try to fix things before even opening Logic. So close Logic while you troubleshoot, please.

How do I trash the preference file?

You'll find Audio MIDI Setup's preference file in:

Macintosh HD > Users > Your User Name > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist

Keep in mind the user's Library folder is hidden by default in 10.7x and up. One way to access it quickly is to go into the Finder's "Go" menu and holding down the Option key.

Before you trash the file, disconnect the MOTU, then restart, then connect the MOTU and open Audio MIDI Setup. Hopefully it will be active. If not, you'll have to try something else.

J.