Yosemite is out. Consensus with Logic X?

realtwang

SOLVED - LOGIC NEEDS MAIN OUTPUT TO BE 3-4 ... strange but it works ....

HI

Upgraded to 10.10 and logic x is not putting sound out through my 828 mk3 firewire .... strange as iTunes will ... and it comes up as an audio device within logic but no sound ....

level meters bouncing about in logic but nothing on the 828 .... :-S

logic works with all other interfaces my 1640i and the display output on screen etc ....

baffled at the moment any help much appreciated ....

thanks

Now I just need to verify that Slate plug-ins work and I might make the move (after a good backup of the system first ;))

I'm running Slate VCC, VTM, VBC, SSD4 and FG-X (via 32 Lives) and all seem to be working fine so far. There's some minor glitches with FG-X and saving user presets but I think they have more to do with 32 Lives as this was the same on Mavericks.

All the Play stuff seems to work fine so far too, no issues so far with Spaces or any of the instruments, though as a disclaimer I haven't had time to test them thoroughly. Loading and saving user presets all seems fine.

iZotope Ozone 5, Nectar 2, Trash 2 and Alloy 2 all seem ok too.

Overall this has been the smoothest OS upgrade so far for me.

How are you guys installing Yosemite ? Update install or a complete clean install ? Which is recommended ?

I have two SSDs that I use for start-up disks. One is dedicated to my audio & video software. When I created that particular start-up disk, it was a clean install and configured it to house my audio & video editing software. The other start-up disk has programs, old and new. I use that particular start-up disk to house the "old" audio & video programs as well as for the non-music/video programs. Both start-up disks were updated from Maverick to Yosemite. However, at some point in time I will create a start-up disk with the current OS X as a clean install. It's probably the best way to create a disk dedicated to audio and video programs. ;)

After I downloaded Yosemite I noticed my hard drive went from having about 93 Gigs of free space to almost 104? How did I suddenly free up about 11 gigs of hard drive space? Has this happened to anything else? What was deleted?

Same here! I gained a good 10 GBs of space. Don't know what was deleted, though. Possible old installs of update OS X programs?? :?:

I will add that this is probably one of the nicest upgrades that I've encountered, so far. A lot of my old programs still function under Yosemite. This includes programs like WaveBurner and DVD Studio Pro, both which I still use. Soundtrack Pro still works! (I forgot I had it! LOL!) One program seems to be broken, unfortunately. It seems that Peak Pro 7 has bit the dust. It acts strangely when I tested it out. (Haven't used it in a long while, though.)

wondering about Peak Pro. i've used a simple app, Max, to do quick audio conversions (ie mp3 to wav 24/44), or reverse. no longer working. so...something's changed in the audio??

can anyone recommend a good, simple audio converter?

I've been using the choice of a couple of programs of audio conversions. Apple's Compressor seems to do a nice job converting audio to various different formats. It's pretty cheap. Also, I've been using Adobe's Audition and it's Media Encoder programs as well. Adobe's Audition meets my needs with audio editing. Adobe's Media Encoder also meets my needs in converting audio to different formats, usually AIFF to MP3 (and visa versa). Investment-wise, this isn't for everyone but I've been happy with Adobe's Creative Cloud program. It is a monthly commitment, but I use several of their programs quite often, usually for the video effects and editing, as well as for audio for video stuff, which more than meets my needs.

For what it's worth, I'm using Adobe's Creative Cloud and it's programs with Yosemite with no issues. . . so far. Most importantly, though, (and in keeping to the topic of this particular thread), Yosemite and Logic X has been a good experience for me. . . so far. :)

Yosemite has been a great upgrade so far. Apogee finally released a driver update for the discontinued Ensemble for compatibility with Mavericks and Yosemite, which finally seems to have solved the massive problems I've been having with losing connection to the Ensemble. Took them way too long, but glad to see they're still supporting a discontinued product.

wondering about Peak Pro. i've used a simple app, Max, to do quick audio conversions (ie mp3 to wav 24/44), or reverse. no longer working. so...something's changed in the audio??

I stopped using Max when I found out about XLD:

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

It gets updated regularly and Max got stuck in 2009.

J.

I stopped using Max when I found out about XLD:

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

It gets updated regularly and Max got stuck in 2009.

J.

thanx! will check that out (have been using adapter, which is very nice, but no option to convert to wav 24bit...)

I love Yosemite so far, but have had two issues with Logic Pro X since the upgrade:

1) Yesterday my mac totally locked up required a hard re-boot when loading a song with Play. I had the Play 4.2.0 installed. I upgraded to Play 4.2.2 and everything was OK. Not sure if it was Play 4.2.2 that fixed it or just the quirky issues with Play in general.

2) Today I tried loading a project and the load time for audio files was very long and at the end Logic Crashed with an error report trouble opening PSP Stereo Enhancer. Restarted Logic and the project was still slow loading but no crash.

Update - another crash with PSP Stereo Enhancer - different project. Closed logic and reopened project fine.

Note - I believe I have had a couple prior crashes with this plugin before - not very often though.

People had told me that OS X 10 looks like plastic, but I thought they were exaggerating. But they're not.

It's like finding out this is the new model Ferrari:

[attachment=0]pic 2014-10-17 at 08.26.18.PNG[/attachment]

Actually, I thought it looked like OSX and Apple software as they were depicted in numerous South Park episodes... I'll let you judge whether or not it's a good thing.

Personally, I think they might as well have hired the people who designed Windows 8...

Only makes it a lot easier to stick to my decision NOT to upgrade OS on my new Mac - though I didn't like Mavericks too much, it's running just fine on this new machine.

I really like the new look of Yosemite. I have always been a fan of Helvetica typeface and like the dark theme. It will be better when devs get their menu bar apps adjusted, but I like it. It works well with LPX. And I'm sure it looks spectacular on the new iMac retina display.

I took the leap this weekend and installed 10.10 on my production machine. I have a system backup to reboot fro. If necessary, but so far I has worked perfectly. This week will be the final test, but all indications say I'm good to go.

I'm experiencing a significant increase in CPU load.

I've installed the Yosemite certified Apogee Duet 2 driver.

I've selected inbuilt audio as an output and the problem still exists.

Buffer at 1024.

Everything fine as at 10.9.5

Logic 10.0.7

It seems that booting 9.1.8 in 32 bit mode is ok, no increase in cpu load I can detect in quick tests.

Anyone have any suggestions please.

Thanks

EDIT: update, tried deleting plist preferences, reinstall Logic 10.0.7.

Problem persists.

Seems basically most/any third party plugins causes huge cpu hit.

Ugly ;9

Edited by Beatworld

Thanks for this post.

Anyone experience with 10.10 and the RME Fireface UCX? any problems?

I have a problem with RME FF800 now, when I do multitrack recording I got the "Disk is to slow" error message (-10004).

I have install the latest driver and all but no luck. I think it´s a 10.10 problem because it runs well before the upgrade.

I´m lucky to have a backup computer with snow leopard and logic 9 :)

Edit: It seems to be a new kext signing rules for 10.10 and I use Trim Enabler for my ssd, I´m gona try to install the new version with a workaround tomorrow. Otherwise I do a clean install with mavericks again.

You can read about it here: http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

/peter

I use a Firewire-based interface with my 27" iMac (2010) - the Mackie Onyx Blackbird. I researched online to see if there were any known issues and i found none, so i (probably hastily) took the plunge.

Bad idea.

Now the iMac 'sees' the Onyx, but the Onyx will not work -- it does not 'see' the iMac back. Its only been a day or so, and i opened a ticket with Mackie about it, so i hope there is a fix soon.

Bottom line: Mackie Onyx Blackbird does not play well at the moment with Yosemite.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but quite happy to report that my upgrade to Yosemite went very smoothly and I haven't run into any snags with the exception of having to update my Saffire's firmware and MixControl software, but those were both handled quickly and easily. Logic X 10.0.7 is running smoothly. All of my AU plugins seem to be loading up just fine so far. I gotta say, I agree with many of the comments I've read: smoothest OS update in a long while!

I use a Firewire-based interface with my 27" iMac (2010) - the Mackie Onyx Blackbird. I researched online to see if there were any known issues and i found none, so i (probably hastily) took the plunge.

Bad idea.

Now the iMac 'sees' the Onyx, but the Onyx will not work -- it does not 'see' the iMac back. Its only been a day or so, and i opened a ticket with Mackie about it, so i hope there is a fix soon.

Bottom line: Mackie Onyx Blackbird does not play well at the moment with Yosemite.

pbup - Not sure if this is your issue, but I couldn't help but notice the possibility...

Take a look at this answerbase article from Focusrite**: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/how-do-i-connect-my-saffire-to-my-firewire-800-port

(**I know, I know, different brand and everything, but the point they make is valid no matter who made it the interface in question.)

From what I recall, the Late-'09 and Mid-'10 iMacs both have FireWire 800 ports. And, out of curiosity, I checked and saw that your Mackie Onyx Blackbird does, in fact, have a FireWire 400 port, which was what I had suspected.

So, you might just be looking at a driver/firmware issue like I was right after the transition. But if not, then hopefully this answerbase article helps. Either way, Good luck!

Same story here...and I should have known better.

Bad idea.

I also have a Late '09 iMac and Blackbird, and found Mackie lagging behind on driver support back when I was running OS X 10.7...but the 4.0 drivers solved everything and it was running beautifully...and I have no excuse (other than stupidity) for rushing into Yosemite. What was I thinking???

When I contacted Mackie Support, this is the response I got: "The Onyx Blackbird is not supported OSX Yosemite and the v4.1.0 driver will not work. Here in Tech Support I do not have an ETA on when new drivers will be available. Keep connected to our website for any future driver updates for the Onyx Blackbird. My best suggestion would be to revert your computer to an older version of OSX."

It's not a Firewire cable issue, it's their drivers (again)...so I guess I'm now looking for a new Firewire interface, because I don't want to go back to 10.9. (sigh) Probably go with Saffire, but if Santa comes early, maybe a Fireface.

I think I'm done with Mackie. Love the hardware, but the driver support is consistently late.