splitting multiple tracks with marquee tool? [SOLVED]

ddi

this may seem silly but here goes ... i have just watched a logic pro 9 tutorial and he uses the marquee tool to drag down multiple tracks and cut at the same point. i cant seem to do it, whenever i release the mouse and click, the 'beam' the tool creates down the tracks disappears and the cursor ends up at the point where i clicked ?? :roll:

this will come in really handy for me i just cant master it ? is there something i should be doing :oops:

whenever i release the mouse and click, the 'beam' the tool creates down the tracks disappears and the cursor ends up at the point where i clicked ??

You're clicking with the Marquee tool, but what you should be doing is clicking with the pointer tool. If you use the default tools (Pointer = left click - Marquee = command click) then you need to Command-drag (= drag with the Marquee), then click (= click with the Pointer).

thanks for the replies, i have updated my signature i am using the latest version of logic 9

i am following a mac pro video tutorial, you would need to be registered in order to view it ?! Olav Basoski Electronica Workflow .. on tutorial 7.. Marquee Marvels 2 .. @ 1.19 in the video

my command click is my pencil tool (changed from default myself) he suggested earlier in the video of using the 'marquee click zone' setting in General Preferences, editing .. i liked the idea of this set up but either way if i change to the default tool set up as you mentioned David i just cant do it ? and likewise when i use the Marquee click zone method, i draw down the regions i want to cut, then raise the marquee tool up to the upper part of the region, and click on the 'beam' .. the region is just selected where i click and no cut takes place .. making sure i click on the beam everytime.. no messing i have tried for hours to do this method

if i change to the default tool set up as you mentioned David i just cant do it ? and likewise when i use the Marquee click zone method, i draw down the regions i want to cut, then raise the marquee tool up to the upper part of the region, and click on the 'beam'

How wide is your Marquee selection? Make sure it's wider than 1 pixel? I'm not sure what you mean by "the beam" or "draw down regions" etc... maybe a screenshot would help?

To understand the behavior I"m describing:

- Open a new empty project.

- Create 3 software instrument track.

- Control-click the grid on the first track and choose Create Empty MIDI Region.

- Option-drag the region to the 2 other tracks to copy the empty region.

- Resize the 3 regions to make them 8 bars long, from 1 1 1 1 to 9 1 1 1.

- Drag your marquee tool to highlight all 3 regions from 5 1 1 1 to 7 1 1 1.

- With the Pointer tool, click the highlighted section => it should be split into new regions, so two cuts, one at 5 1 1 1 and the other at 7 1 1 1.

hi david thanks for replying again! sorry, by beam i meant the line the marquee tool produces when you click and drag across the regions, drawing down meant my action by selecting for example bar 5 1 1 1 and dragging downwards across say several regions if i want to slice them only at that particular point.

yes it works when the marquee selected area is large but when its only a thin line (as he did in the example on mac pro video) thats when i hit the problem ..

so i guess the problem is as you mentioned the line i draw downwards isnt large enough for the pointer tool to click on and split / cut the regions and thats been my problem ?!