That's right, clicks and pops

paulskiogorki

Hi

I know this is an often discussed topic in this forum. I've read through everything but would like another kick at the can. Some of the threads seem to conclude a certain batch of Macs had problems like this, but I don't think I really read a conclusion. If I a mistaken kindly point me to the relevant thread. :)

I'm having clicks and pops using either Logic Pro 9.1.8 (playing a software instrument) or MainStage 3. It's happening in Logic in a song with a single track, mainly during fast playing. Same thing with MainStage. Opening the CPU/HD window while playing back the file shows activity in only one of the four cores and barely above 25% or so.

I've tried completely maxing out the buffer settings to no avail. Also tried tweaking settings for 'Processing Threads'. I've played back the file using only the built in outputs, which hopefully eliminates audio interface or driver issues. I am saving the project files to an external hard drive. I upgraded to Yosemite today to see if it would help but it didn't. I have tried unchecking the 'open in 32 bit...' option for Logic.

Currently this happens using the Sculpture instrument and a couple of auxiliary channels with effects, including two separate instances of Space Designer (dang it sounds good). The MainStage manual says something about not running more than one at a time because it's a CPU hog, but wouldn't I see a problem in CPU/HD if that were the case?

I suppose adding RAM is an option, but surely 8GB should be enough to play one track without issues?

Any suggestions or comments before I try to do battle with Apple support? Not sure how I'll do there given the computer is about 18 months old.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the reply Atlas007.

At the moment, it's only happening on the one project. Well two actually, one in Logic and one in Mainstage. I have been away from music making for a while and am just getting back to it so not too many projects on the go right now.

Have not tried smc reset. Will give it a shot.

I try not to run other apps. Novation Automap server runs in background. Finder. Occasionally an editor for 12 step.

Turning off antennas made no difference.

Screenshots of Logic and Mainstage attached. Mainstage has a couple of other channel strips but I couldn't figure out how to get them all in the view.

1405348036_ScreenShot2014-10-20at7_41_34AM.thumb.png.db48329d1a676896d13dca8bf7fbbb3a.png