Match EQ

recordplay

I've used it several times to get in the ballpark of a specific recorded element.

One example is a saxophone that is recorded in a studio on a track that is mixed. The client also wants a couple of tunes from a live recording, recorded with a different microphone and on stage.

Using Match EQ will then sculpt the live saxophone to sound more like the studio version and will yield in a more cohesive sound on the album.

Maybe I could use this to measure reference tracks against my own?

Actually I've found that you can use it for that purpose... to an extent. Beware, as Eric pointed out, of a whole track, which may have different frequency spectrums in different areas - but it can be quite useful to use the Match EQ over a section of a commercial song and try to apply it to your track. At least looking at the resulting EQ curves can be a good guide as to how you can EQ your Stereo Out for a quick mastering job.

I absolutely love Match EQ for sidechain EQ to make space when two instruments, or vocals are competing for that same space.

You can open match EQ on the Inserts of the channel, and set up the sidechain to the track you want it to "listen" to, press the Learn button, and press play. Let it play enough to learn the EQ, and stop. Then using the Apply slider on the right hand side you can tweak the EQ sidechain.

You can "Smooth" the EQ with the Smooth slider, or alter the EQ as you would any Equalizer.

I just realized that I bookmarked the tutorial I learned this from.

Of course he does a waaay better job explaining :D

Here is a link: