logic 10.0.7 with yosemite, was good, now its slow?

careyjames

logic pro x 10.0.7 with yosemite 10.10.1 , was good, now its slow?

we run on a maxed out macbook pro 15" with 1tb ssd.

we have not changed anything, its basically starting to get real slow on the audio units loading page and on startup.

we use an apollo twin thunderbolt interface with no problems.

this song is not any bigger or more heavy plugin wise than anything we normally do.

we can't figure out why all of the sudden out of the blue its slowing down.

we have plenty of disk space.

plenty of ram.

any ideas?

what year computer do you have? add that to your signature. but that being said, i have a 2011 imac and it's been HORRIBLE with yosemite and logic pro x. did a little digging around before i was about to downgrade yesterday. found a great article about a problem with yosemite and a very easy fix. my machine hasn't worked this well in a loooooong time!

There seems to be a problem specifically with this iMac model (mid-2011) and Yosemite.and possibly others..... My machine was all around slower after upgrading until I found this article from Parallels describing the problem. I ran the trace_intr tool from http://kb.parallels.com/en/117114 and my machine was indeed having too many interrupts from com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform.

The solution for me was to do the following:

1) Open a terminal

2) Enter and run the following command, entering your password when prompted:

sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e"

3) Restart the computer

After restarting, there was an obvious difference in terms of UI responsiveness all around. I also verified using trace_intr that the interrupts were no longer happening.

I'm no expert on OS X internals, but I assume this kernel parameter enables a debugging mode that disables the ACPI interrupts that cause this behaviour.

SO, like the page says, if you run that command, and anything is over 100,000 you need to copy and paste this into terminal: sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e"

restart and you'll be good to go. i ran the test again after doing that and everything was under that 100,000. so it totally worked. my imac is now happy again. hope this helps!

• 1 year later...
what year computer do you have?  add that to your signature.  but that being said, i have a 2011 imac and it's been HORRIBLE with yosemite and logic pro x.  did a little digging around before i was about to downgrade yesterday.  found a great article about a problem with yosemite and a very easy fix.  my machine hasn't worked this well in a loooooong time!

There seems to be a problem specifically with this iMac model (mid-2011) and Yosemite.and possibly others..... My machine was all around slower after upgrading until I found this article from Parallels describing the problem. I ran the trace_intr tool from http://kb.parallels.com/en/117114 and my machine was indeed having too many interrupts from com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform.

The solution for me was to do the following:

1) Open a terminal

2) Enter and run the following command, entering your password when prompted:

sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e"

3) Restart the computer

After restarting, there was an obvious difference in terms of UI responsiveness all around. I also verified using trace_intr that the interrupts were no longer happening.

I'm no expert on OS X internals, but I assume this kernel parameter enables a debugging mode that disables the ACPI interrupts that cause this behaviour.

SO, like the page says, if you run that command, and anything is over 100,000 you need to copy and paste this into terminal:   sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e"

restart and you'll be good to go.  i ran the test again after doing that and everything was under that 100,000.  so it totally worked.  my imac is now happy again.  hope this helps!

I just tried to do this in the terminal but it wouldn't let me enter a password. After I restarted my mac, all of my desktop icons disappeared. All of my projects were on my desktop and now I don't know how to get it back. I even made this account to ask you for help personally. 

I just tried to do this in the terminal but it wouldn't let me enter a password. 

Did you actually try entering a password? The Terminal will not display anything as you type your password in, so you have to type it "blindly" then press enter/return. 

Yes, I tried pressing Enter with the command numerous times and recall blindly typing in my password multiple times after the lock icon appeared before restarting the mac and realizing the files and folders on my desktop are missing.