Audio Units v3 Multiport Midi and AU processing outside DAW

sambosun

Anyone else excited about this?

Apple just announced the new AU v3/ Audio Unit Extension APIs.

One major benefit if implemented:

AU v3 plugins will run by default in its own process outside the host.

That means if the AU crashes (Hi Kontakt!) the host keeps running.

Developers can update their existing v2 if they want otherwise they can bridge the v2. AU v3 will be compatible with v2 hosts until updated.

For anyone who is interested to skim through the video should take a look here:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=508

I think 2 factors may be of great relevance at least to me.

1 Own process handling outside the DAW

2 Multiport Midi connection (VEP). As Doug Wyatt notes (around 46min in)

that v2 of the Audio Units allowed only 1x16ch Midi Cable

the v3 of the Audio Unit API allows 256x16ch Midi Cables!!!

Another fact:

AU units sold/downloaded via the APP store can get updated in one place.

Very excited to hear about this. You totally just posted this on gear slutz though didnt you? I wish we could all be in one place.

Anyways, really excited to see this all come to fruition. Two years ago in an apple letter to audio devs they stated that they were going to eventually move this way. Def think they hit them up too early, however, here we are today. Sandboxing in the foreseeable future, AUs to be sold through apple store, and another thing that was mentioned in the core audio WWDC is the ability to split signal in a single channel, via just a split or frequency splits.

Cant wait for this all to come to logic. They said they will support AU3 in logic in the event, so when it is released in Fall we will 100% be getting a logic update if they dont already integrate or get an update prior to do this. The last 7+ minutes are very interesting of that video.

They also mention that because of the overhead of running plugins in separate processes and having to communicate with them, that this technique isn't suitable for very low latency plugins - so I don't expect every plugin to work in this way... It's optional, and has some advantages in terms of stability, but it's not a global panacea I think...

Do I understand this right, that v3 will finally enable that plugins can receive MIDI from anywhere, so we can finally modulate the parameters within a plugin from another MIDI FX plugin?

I have submitted this feature request several times to remind them how much I want it lol. This would be such an amazing thing.