Logic Pro X v10.2.1 - MIDI keyboard issues !! [SOLVED]

JBShouting

Hey everyone,

Its great Apple have released the new Logic Prox with some great enhancements :D

At least it would be great - if I only I could figure out how to get my MIDI keyboards to work !!!! They were fine with the last version of Logic Pro X, right up until I installed the new version released today!!

For example, my little Roland A49 used to play whatever instruments I loaded in to Logic Pro X, without any setup or configuration.

Now I can't even assign a MIDI channel to it to get it working. Logic Pro X just keeps prompting me to "Please select 'MIDI CH 1' on your Roland A-Series Keyboard." But doing this has no effect.

Any ideas anyone ??

Many thanks in advance,

Looks like Logic now automatically creates default assignments for certain MIDI controllers.

I have an MPK49 and it gets the assignments shown here:

526541299_ScreenShot2016-01-21at10_31_48.thumb.png.ac7e9b0e97f3f1d43868be32319a06d7.png

In my case, only the Volume assignment on top and the transport assignments work "out-of-the-box", the others have a dash in the parameter column and therefore do nothing.

Even if this is kind of cool, I won't be needing it for now, so would like to see if there's any way to avoid getting these assignments created automatically each time I launch Logic:

272117519_ScreenShot2016-01-21at10_23_03.png.02a00cf5c0948e4072e27cfc1b605470.png

Hack found! Click here to find out.

Anyway, check your Controller Assignments window, your problems are most likely due to assignments there. In your case you should be fine if you set the MIDI channel on your controller to anything but what Logic is telling you to use. In my case, I just don't use the preset Logic tells me to use.

J.

So Ive just had a look at the Controller Assignments window. My A49 keyboard appears in the Zone column as 'A-series keyboard' but there is nothing assigned to it.

I must admit I am a complete stranger to how this window works, as I do all of my work in the Arranger window using effects and plugins. So have never ever needed to open or do anything with controller assignments.

Basically 'help' !! How do I go about setting up Logic Pro to allow me to play any of the keys to play an instrument?

Seems to me that Logic Pro is broken with this new upgrade !!

Hope you can help,

JB

Hi,

In your case you should be fine if you set the MIDI channel on your controller to anything but what Logic is telling you to use.

Either that, or enable the Bypass All Control Surfaces option under Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces. If you do this last one though, you won't be able to make any assignments using Command-L.

Probably there's another way to deal with this...

J.

Probably there's another way to deal with this...

OK, figured it out.

There's a folder within the Logic Pro app called "MIDI Device Scripts". In it you'll find folders containing configuration scripts for a bunch of MIDI controllers from different brands.

All you need to do is find the one that corresponds to your keyboard and zip it right there and then, then get rid of the original file (they all have a ".device" extension). If at any point you want to have this behavior back, just unzip the file. Keep in mind that future updates will overwrite anything you do inside the app (like zipping then deleting this configuration script).

Here's how it looks over here after doing the procedure:

1412516535_ScreenShot2016-01-21at12_37_20.png.5a0b8fd519ac3b5fce23cf6931f53dcb.png

To get to this folder, control-click the Logic app in the Applications folder and choose "Show Package Contents..." then follow this path:

/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/Frameworks/MACore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MIDI Device Scripts/

Alternatively, paste that path in the "Go to Folder..." dialog box in the Finder's "Go" menu.

Of course, you'll also need to delete the assignments Logic's already done for your controller in the Controller Assignments window (just select your controller in the "Zone" column and hit delete).

J.

PS: Yes, this is a hack :wink:

Brilliant !!

That last one worked a treat :D Simply zipped the file, restarted Logic Pro X and hey presto, my little old Roland is back and playing as it did before. Also just did same for my NI S88 and that is now working too.

Weird that Apple hasn't mentioned this in their release notes. I wonder how many other folk have been stumped by this update to Logic.

Anyway, can't thank you enough. You're a star :D

Good to hear, you're welcome!

This is a good initiative on Apple's part to get MIDI controllers pre-mapped to Logic's fader's, etc. Unfortunately it seems they didn't get it right for at least some controllers.

I would also prefer to have this be user-selectable (via a checkbox in the preferences), instead of imposing it on us :evil: .

Oh well.

J.

I am having the exact problem with my AKAI MPK88 keyboard controller. Will consider trying the "hack" that was suggested. However, another thing to do is simply delete the keyboard at Logic's "Controller Assignment Window" with each start-up session with Logic. This works. It's just an extra, annoying step to take. . .

Thanks, Jordi, for your "hack" advice. Seems like a nice temporary measure to take. Do wish there was an option to take to stop Logic from automatically attempting to configure/re-configure how it works with one's keyboard controller.

Aside from this one annoying issue, Logic Pro X 10.2.1 seems to work just fine. It remains a great program. (I wonder if Apple is going to provide another update for Final Cut Pro X??)

Interestingly - these MIDI device scripts are actually written in LUA scripting code, and it looks like you can change them as the code is exposed - so if you need some tweaky controller handling on a supported device, you *might* be able to do it yourself...

I saw that! If I knew how to safely modify scripting code, I'd attempt to modify it for the MPK 88. In the past, I've attempted to configure Logic to work with my controller's "Record", "Play", "Stop" buttons. I was unsuccessful, of course. It would be nice to have those features work. What is more important to me is to be able to use CC faders and knobs that I've configured on my keyboard controller. Those work, thankfully.

In the past, I've attempted to configure Logic to work with my controller's "Record", "Play", "Stop" buttons. I was unsuccessful, of course.

That's super easy to do with the MPK's: Just make sure the transport buttons are sending MMC (check the MPK manual if unsure) and in Logic go to Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI and check the "Listen to MMC Input" box.

J.

Can anyone show me the path to the folder "Midi Device Scripts" that was mentioned by Jordi in the thread relating to Controller assignments in the new Logic update please.

Topics, merged.

Just do this:

To get to this folder, control-click the Logic app in the Applications folder and choose "Show Package Contents..." then follow this path:

Contents/Frameworks/MACore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MIDI Device Scripts/

Alternatively, paste the path in the "Go to Folder..." dialog box in the Finder's "Go" menu:

/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/Frameworks/MACore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MIDI Device Scripts/

PS. One small thing though.

I now have this strange notification on my system when launching Logic.

Can you help me out?

Right! hahaha!

This is great Jordi.

It was super easy to change the config to suit my needs.

Thanks!

You're welcome Eric!

I still haven't figured out how to get Logic to use the F, K, and S assignments from the MPK49 config file. The only Volume assignment that works is the one that appears by itself (the one labeled "Fader 8", coincidence?) near the upper part of the config file. I don't see how it is different from the rest, except for its location in the file! :?

The only hint I've found so far was this comment in the LPK Mini config file: "Volume Knob Always Last Knob".

Any clues?

J.

Right! hahaha!

:mrgreen:

I still haven't figured out how to get Logic to use the F, K, and S assignments from the MPK49 config file.

I gotta go right now but I believe it's the first entry that configures what it's doing.

The default is to use the faders, knobs, and buttons on the Smart Controls.

Try changing it to the parameter name that Logic uses internally.

In the past, I've attempted to configure Logic to work with my controller's "Record", "Play", "Stop" buttons. I was unsuccessful, of course.

That's super easy to do with the MPK's: Just make sure the transport buttons are sending MMC (check the MPK manual if unsure) and in Logic go to Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI and check the "Listen to MMC Input" box.

J.

THANK YOU! It works! Woot! :D

8)

I gotta go right now but I believe it's the first entry that configures what it's doing.

The default is to use the faders, knobs, and buttons on the Smart Controls.

Try changing it to the parameter name that Logic uses internally.

Hmm, not sure which one you mean by the "first entry" as I see nothing about Smart Controls there. I did try changing the labels but it didn't do anything. Now that you mention Smart Controls, I see that the assignments get dynamically bound to Smart Controls, which is cool.

THANK YOU! It works! Woot! :D

You're welcome!

J.

I did try changing the labels but it didn't do anything. Now that you mention Smart Controls, I see that the assignments get dynamically bound to Smart Controls, which is cool.

Ok. I think this works.

Delete the entry for Knob 1 i the Control Assignments window.

Move a pan knob, MIDI Learn, and move Knob 1.

Deleting the entry again will make the knob revert to Smart Controls.

I see, I went through a whole bunch of instruments except that one!

So I guess this script is working as it's supposed to: 1 assignment for volume (after all, its "Channel Strip" parameter is set to "Selected Track", so one fader to control the volume on whichever track is selected) the rest for whichever plug-in parameters go well with a fader-type controller.

Thanks again!

J.