why won't midi regions play back?

simonsound

Hi there. I have a really frustrating problem relating to playback of midi regions.

This is what happens - I have a software instrument set up on a channel, press record and then play something on the keyboard. I can see the midi notes going in and being recorded. I press stop and the region seems OK. The problem happens when I try to play it back - nothing happens.

The only way to get the recorded region to play is by duplicating the channel and copying the region across.

As you can imagine this problem is causing me real disruption. Anyone else struggling with this?

Thank you in advance.

Simon

I do a lot of midi recording and playback and have never had this problem... Are you saying that your midi parts are getting automatically muted ?

If you record-arm the track that the parts are on (the parts that dont play) and play some notes through your controller, do you get sound ?

yep, although no one seems to be suffering this problem judging my the lack of replies from a similar post i made. I found that if you restart logic the problem regions appear muted (greyed out) and you can simply un mute them and play back will resume.

Has to be a bug in my opinion

I'm having this exact same problem.

I've never seen or heard of that problem either, and have done very intensive MIDI recording, programming and editing on various Mac configurations.

What would help is your Mac configuration (CPU? RAM? Drive? OS version? Audio interface? etc..). The reason is sometimes we can trace the problem to a particular configuration when several users with a similar problem report a similar configuration.

Also: are the regions muted? You can select them and press M to toggle their mute status. A grayed out region is muted. Individual notes can be muted to. The tracks can be muted, and the software instrument channel strip can be muted independently if you chose that (non-default) preference.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Mac Pro 8-core 3 Ghz (first version), 16 GB RAM, and 6 internal 750 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drives. Audio interface is an Apogee Duet. What happens is that certain MIDI regions just stop playing back. They do not appear to be muted (i.e, not grayed-out). Toggling the regions with the Mute Tool does not make them play. Closing the project and reopening same reveals that these particular regions that wouldn't play back are now muted (grayed-out). If you then un-mute them with the tool, they'll playback. No individual note are muted and I did not choose the pref for software instrument channel strips to be muted independently. Usually the regions that stop playing back are assigned to a multi-timbral instrument such as Kontak3 or Vienna Ensemble, if that helps.

The problem i am experiencing is exactly as 63strat described, its as if Logic has muted the regions, but they do not appear muted until you restart. Its worth mentioning that I am also using VSL, perhaps it is tied to that. I will also check the key comannds just in case

Macbook pro 2gb, saffire 26, VSL standard edition

• 2 months later...

I have this problem as well. And it's currently occurring with a software instrument that's part of Logic, the Thumbstroke Bass. In my experience it is also random.

I'm using "create take folders." When I record into a region, sometimes all the regions on that track will not play back. The main (top) folder is green, but when I pull the arrow down to see all the takes, all are greyed out. Highlighting them and hitting the "m" key will not change this.

If I quit Logic and restart, then the regions that would not play before do appear as "muted" with the green halo around them and can be made to play again by hitting the "m" key.

I have experienced this with other instruments before. Again it's random.

I have checked "key commands" and that's not the problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

JD

Mac Pro Dual-Core 2.66

4 GB Ram

OS 10.4.1

Audio Drive-Intel ESB2 AHCI

Interface-RME Multiface

I'm using "create take folders." When I record into a region, sometimes all the regions on that track will not play back. The main (top) folder is green, but when I pull the arrow down to see all the takes, all are greyed out. Highlighting them and hitting the "m" key will not change this.

If I quit Logic and restart, then the regions that would not play before do appear as "muted" with the green halo around them and can be made to play again by hitting the "m" key.

I have experienced this with other instruments before. Again it's random.

I have checked "key commands" and that's not the problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

JD

Mac Pro Dual-Core 2.66

4 GB Ram

OS 10.4.1

Audio Drive-Intel ESB2 AHCI

Interface-RME Multiface

I've had the same experience and like you say: IT IS random.

My workaround is: Close the project. Open it again and now I can un-mute the regions.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Mac Pro 8-core 3 Ghz (first version), 16 GB RAM, and 6 internal 750 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drives. Audio interface is an Apogee Duet...

FYI, in this kind of situation (but also in general) it would help if you added this information to your profile. That way people don't have to search through the thread to this information -- it'll appear in every one of your posts.

-=sKi=-

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Any update on this bug? It's still driving me nuts.

I have this bug, too. Happens all the time. The only workaround for me is to close and reopen the project, then un-mute the now-muted track which was not muted before.

YALB!

(Yet Another Logic Bug).

• 6 months later...

It's baaa-aaack -- in 9.0.1! Very dismaying. I'm referring to the mysterious bug where MIDI regions won't play back until you reopen the session and see that they've been muted. It happens when you have Create Take Folders activated. I haven't used Create Take Folders in quite a while, and maybe that's why I haven't seen it until now.

So, it's the same as before:

What happens is that certain MIDI regions just stop playing back. They do not appear to be muted (i.e, not grayed-out). Toggling the regions with the Mute Tool does not make them play. Closing the project and reopening same reveals that these particular regions that wouldn't play back are now muted (grayed-out). If you then un-mute them with the tool, they'll playback. No individual notes are muted and I did not choose the pref for software instrument channel strips to be muted independently.

I can also report the same sub-problem as JD where he says:

"I'm using "create take folders." When I record into a region, sometimes all the regions on that track will not play back. The main (top) folder is green, but when I pull the arrow down to see all the takes, all are greyed out. Highlighting them and hitting the "m" key will not change this.

If I quit Logic and restart, then the regions that would not play before do appear as "muted" with the green halo around them and can be made to play again by hitting the "m" key."

• 1 year later...

9.1.3 and your problem still exists ... driving me crazy .. i cannot get anything done

i mostly record audio but i need to do some things in a sampler ... i am having the issues with an EXS sampler .... it has happened with Ivory Pianos as well ...

i found something - if when this happens you create a new track and drag your midi file onto it - it will play without restarting

i noticed the last post was over a year ago ...

please help us ...

thank you

john