How many licenses do you get with Logic Pro 9

thebees01

I'm currently running logic express 8. I'm going to buy studio 9 because i can get a stupidly cheap student discount and need the upgrade. How many licenses do i get with Logic 9?

I've got 2 laptops i want to install it on.

I use both laptops live within my band (so they will be running at the same time).

I own both, but my other band member uses the other one.

Thanks

I'm currently running logic express 8. I'm going to buy studio 9 because i can get a stupidly cheap student discount and need the upgrade. How many licenses do i get with Logic 9?

I've got 2 laptops i want to install it on.

I use both laptops live within my band (so they will be running at the same time).

I own both, but my other band member uses the other one.

Thanks

The license is good for (1) one Destop AND (1) one Laptop.

How are you currently running both laptops?

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-branded desktop computer and one Apple-branded laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. You may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

Source: http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/logicstudio8.pdf

You may disagree with me here but you're not exactly pirating the software, you've bought it, you just want to use it on two location computers that you own, and although the license may say this and that, you're not downloading and cracking it. I don't see a big deal about installing it on both machines. It's pedantic to throw a fuss over something this trivial.

You may disagree with me here but you're not exactly pirating the software, you've bought it, you just want to use it on two location computers that you own, and although the license may say this and that, you're not downloading and cracking it.

That may be true but that is not what the OP suggested he wanted to do.....

Note, he wants to put it on two laptops, one of which is used, though not owned by another person.. So really he is asking about sharing his license with someone else... and strictly speaking that is a 'No No..'

My concern would be, if he is getting a Student Discount, does he mean an Academic License(AL)? If so, does he realize that those do not qualify for major upgrade discounts later on? Also, does an AL have the same stipulations in it about using LP on one desktop and one laptop?

Someone I worked with, bought an AL for LP8 and 2 months later LP9 was released and he has to pay for the whole thing again... if he wants to upgrade, which he does. Now, because it would have been cheaper for him to have bought LP8 at full price and pay for the upgrade, rather than pay for an LP8 AL and now a full LP9 license on top of that, he is somewhat pissed!

You may disagree with me here but you're not exactly pirating the software, you've bought it, you just want to use it on two location computers that you own, and although the license may say this and that, you're not downloading and cracking it. I don't see a big deal about installing it on both machines. It's pedantic to throw a fuss over something this trivial.

As someone said, you're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

When you buy Logic Studio, you're not buying software, you're buying a license to use it. The manufacturer decides on what the license you buy LEGALLY authorizes you to do, and clearly states it in the license agreement you agree to when installing the software. If you break the license agreement even though you agreed to it, you're making an illegal use of the software, and Apple can actually cancel the license and render it useless (Yes, I have seen it happen - although not in that kind of situation).

I'm not saying do this or do that. I'm just stating facts.

Also think of it like that: let's say you produce a great song, and you decide to place it in TV shows and or film. However, you don't want to sell an exclusive license to one client: you'd like to sell non-exclusive licenses of the track to various clients, for various films or TV shows. A client is interested in buying a non-exclusive license from you to use your track on a TV show. You inquire about that TV show, its budget, its exposure etc... and decide to charge them $1,000 for a one time use of your track for that TV show. You've calculate that price according to the use, the expected exposure of that TV show etc.

Now the same client wants to use that same track for another TV show. Legally, according to your agreement, the license they purchased was only valid for the one original TV show they told you about, and they should buy another license from you for this new use. Do you think they should buy that new license? Or do you think it's not worth throwing a fuss over it, and after all they've already paid for your track, so they can use it as they see fit? What if the client makes a new TV show every week and keeps using the track? What if the client has a friend who produces a film and wants to use that same track? It's not like the friend is downloading your track illegally or stealing the physical CD from a store, they're just borrowing the CD from your client.

Food for thought.

Thanks that all worth noting! I think i'll just buy it and try and install it on both. I'll turn the airports off on the laptops so that "nobody knows" i'm using it and hope for the best. At the end of the day i need to upgrade so 1 licence is better than none.

If i need to buy 2 copies for each laptop i still get studio 9 for £150 so it's still cheaper than paying out £408.

Cheers Guys

I have been using Logic for so long now i can't remember, and I used to think I would never confront this question, but maybe Apple needs to rethink the lic scheme. I am pretty sure that soon I will buy a new laptop and just use it on gigs for my guitar setup. I love the new mainstage and see whole worlds of possibilities, but I HATE taking things out of the studio, and right now my laptop is wired to the max at home. I am even thinking of saving up for a tower and then cloning my recording environment to the laptop because I need to be able to take the entire thing to other studios in my little town that don't run apple stuff so I can re create everything I do at home. Maybe we need like a a 3 machine lic, and a 5 machine lic, I don't mind paying a fair scale. Logic has become the platform I have waited for for twenty years, but I don't want to have to buy a complete version for everything to get my dream up and running. AND.... I really, really, really want a real set of manuals.... you know so I can read them in the hot tub and bathroom and bedroom. Of course, maybe a new Ipad will help this problem out! Good topic and good points.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-branded desktop computer and one Apple-branded laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you.

I too would like to see the license agreement changed in a very simple and logical way. I think the license makes perfect sense in every way with the exception of restricting us to desktop and laptop. I don't understand why we shouldn't be able to use the software in the same way only on two laptops or two desktops so long as we follow the rest of the licenses stipulations. I believe this is how Adobe products and other software products are licensed. Just some food for thought.

If I install logic 9 (upgrade from 7) on an imac and then buy a new imac can it be uninstalled and reinstalled on the new imac without difficulty. Do I need my logic 7 key to upgrade to 9 and does Logic 7 actually have to be installed on the imac to upgrade or is the key enough??

If I have an Imac upstairs in my office and a different imac downstairs in the basement where most of my gear is Can I have Logic 9 on both computers BUT only use it on either computer but not at the same time??

I know this is okay with a laptop and a desktop but is it okay with 2 desktops in 2 separate rooms owned by the same person.

If I install logic 9 (upgrade from 7) on an imac and then buy a new imac can it be uninstalled and reinstalled on the new imac without difficulty.

Yes.

Do I need my logic 7 key to upgrade to 9

Yes.

does Logic 7 actually have to be installed on the imac to upgrade or is the key enough??

The key is enough.

If I have an Imac upstairs in my office and a different imac downstairs in the basement where most of my gear is Can I have Logic 9 on both computers BUT only use it on either computer but not at the same time??

No, see the part of the license agreement I quoted above: it only allows you one install on a desktop machine, one install on a laptop machine.

I know this is okay with a laptop and a desktop but is it okay with 2 desktops in 2 separate rooms owned by the same person.

No.