Moving playhead shortcuts [SOLVED]

Jan_Hammered

Hello all,

Fist post and I'm new to logic so please be gentle! I have searched and can't find this. Nor is it in the list of shortcuts I've downloaded.

I'm doing basic editing so just splitting regions and rearranging etc. I'm using the 'pick up clock' shortcut and I can send the playhead to the beginning of a highlighted event/region.

What I really need to do to speed myself up is to be able to send the playhead to the end of an event/region with a shortcut. Is this possible? At the moment I'm zooming in to position the playhead then using pick up clock to 'join' the next event.

Hope that makes sense and someone can help.

Cheers

Jan

At the moment I'm zooming in to position the playhead then using pick up clock to 'join' the next event.

For regions (not MIDI events) you can use the Shuffle R mode for this, too.

Ah, I knew there would be something easy! Thank you very much, many hours will be saved!

Hi,

Check out the Go to Selection Start / End commands.

J.

I've tried this but can only find go to selection start. I've tried to 'customize transport bar' but there is only an option to tick the box for start but not end?

Ok just had a fiddle around and have now found this option in key commands and assigned a key for it.

Both of the above options will be used so massive thanks you to you all.

Cheers

Jan

• 2 years later...

Registered for a username just so I can say thank you for this thread!

If you knew what I've been doing for the past 2 years to accomplish this same thing, you'd be laughing. So glad I found the answer here!

Basically, what I used to do in order to get the playhead at the end of the region was as follows:

1) highlight the region I want the playhead to be at the end of

2) make a cycle to fit that region

3) move the loop/cycle over by 1 loop/cycle length

4) press enter to get the playhead at the beginning of this loop/cycle which was at the end of the original

No longer having to do this thanks to this thread!

• 1 year later...

I tried every advice here and it doesn't work.

Shift return is NOT the key for moving playhead to beginning of the region.

There is NO command for moving playhead in the key commands list.

I use Logic 9 and am so sorry I spend my time trying to learn this trash, garbage, counterintuitive piece of crap program.

You're right, it isn't. The closest to that combination is Shift-Enter which is assigned to the Play from Selection command in Logic 9 (which actually moves the playhead to the beginning of a region and immediately starts playback).

There are plenty:

Go to Selection Start, Go to Selection End, Go to Position, Go to Beginning, Forward, Rewind, etc

J.

No, Shift enter is NOT the respective command. It just starts playback from current playhead position.

I was looking for this command in the key command list for 30 minutes and could not find it.

If there is, can you please explain where exactly it can be found there.

Even if somehow I find it, it is totally UNACCEPTABLE that such important, simple and intuitive command causes so much sweat to be found. Everything is like that in this piece of garbage program.

Where did you read that it was? :shock:

No, Shift enter is NOT the respective command.

Where did you read that it was? :shock:

What version of Logic are you using? Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I was looking for this command in the key command list for 30 minutes and could not find it.

30 minutes? :shock: The search field in the key command window allows you to find any key command within seconds. If you're looking for Go to Selection Start, it is Control-Home in Logic Pro X 10.0.7:

key-commands.png.460f85c8d40bab46e609e654e1212e26.png

Shift return- I learned this from your comment which you deleted.

Shift enter- I learned this from the comment of moderator, which you can see just a post above.

Search field offers nothing. It provides only a Go to Selection key that uses Ctrl and some stupid NorthWest direction for arrow (?????) as a key command. No selection start or end, and no, godforbid, a word playhead.

WHY DO YOU CHANGE EVERYTHING WITH EVERY NEW LOGIC VERSION? Consequently all advice that was available on internet for Logic 9 is no longer valid AND ONLY CREATES CONFUSION AND TURMOIL.

I just opened Logic 9 to check:

There are plenty, maybe some of them don't have the word playhead in them though. Did you try the ones Jordi Mentioned?

Go to Selection Start, Go to Selection End, Go to Position, Go to Beginning, Forward, Rewind, etc

I use Forward and Rewind to move the playhead. Forward/Rewind come mapped as default to "," and "." so I don't know how much more simple the developers could have made it. Screenshot below:

ForwardAndRewind.png.8bc732a24d3fef790d7f75a5e673e2f3.png

Shift enter is NOT the respective command. It just starts playback from current playhead position.

It's the default key command for go to selection start for me (screenshot below), and I verified it works. Note I am using a macbook, I haven't tried on a 3rd party keyboard. Other than making a video of myself pressing they key and showing that it does actually work, I don't think there is much else I can say here.

GoToSelectionStart.png.4289f50194409145aec37cb8ef4aa407.png

Search field offers nothing. It provides only a Go to Selection key that uses Ctrl and some stupid NorthWest direction for arrow (?????) as a key command.

It provides plenty. Have you actually tried searching yourself or are you only reacting to the screenshot with the "stupid NorthWest direction" arrow? I have a feeling you haven't tried searching yourself, and you are only commenting on the image. Maybe you can check to see if any of the sections in the key command list are collapsed? (check the triangle icon on the left side of the key command). This might be hiding some of the key commands.

No selection start or end

Unless I photoshopped the image above (which I did not), I think you are wrong here.

and no, godforbid, a word playhead.

Again, I think you are wrong here. I can clearly find the word playhead when searching.

Playhead.png.1435fb85cd287d7fd3395b05b340c888.png

Shift enter is NOT the respective command. It just starts playback from current playhead position.

It's the default key command for go to selection start for me (screenshot below), and I verified it works. Note I am using a macbook, I haven't tried on a 3rd party keyboard. Other than making a video of myself pressing they key and showing that it does actually work, I don't think there is much else I can say here.

What you show in your screen shot is Shift Return.

This is what Shift Enter looks like:

1981735140_ScreenShot2014-10-18at09_56_36.png.b529c25c0795cb5f17dc467570b88afe.png

But anyway roniron, the commands are there, but like razzzzz says they just don't have the word "Playhead" in them.

Here's a tip: Most of the commands that move the playhead have the word "Go" in them. Maybe that will make it easier for you?

J.

Shift return- I learned this from your comment which you deleted.

Not sure what you're referring to, I didn't delete anything from this thread.

Shift enter- I learned this from the comment of moderator, which you can see just a post above.

Yes, and what he said about that key command in Logic 9 is true, and easily verifiable in your key command window.

Search field offers nothing. It provides only a Go to Selection key that uses Ctrl and some stupid NorthWest direction for arrow (?????)

I told you what that key command is in my previous post. You may also find the following reference useful: Decipher Logic's mysterious key command symbols

I press Shift Ctrl arrow because IT IS a Go to Selection command in this stupidest program of all programs and you can see it in the screenshot I provided above.

Widening screen in command list is SO counterintuitive, perfect example of what I am talking about.

Disgusted..

All right, I am calm now. Thanks for the advice.

I will probably switch to Pro Tools.

I don't need a feature where I can change command keys, as long as command keys are easy to find and intuitive. Why would I need to change them?

This whole "philosophy" of Logic where it gives you thousand (unnecessary) options, while at the same time failing to provide necessary clarity and transparency has done it for me. What makes me so outraged (and I apologize to everyone in this thread who witnessed it) is how these engineers epicly fail to see the real need of people who buy their product and instead give them their intellectual wanking.

There's no perfect DAW. Each one has its strengths and quirks.

Pro Tools for example is based on track selections, not regions like in Logic. Whatever you select with the mouse, that's what is in focus.

Different workflow. Some people prefer it, others can't work as fast as in Logic, like myself.

And you need an iLok account, and the iLok to run the software.

I press Shift Ctrl arrow because IT IS a Go to Selection command in this stupidest program of all programs and you can see it in the screenshot I provided above.

On your screenshot, you can see it is listed as a Sample Editor key command, which means you can only use that key command in your Sample Editor, not in the Arrange area.