logic autosave utility

tigermaster

Hallo, i've made this simple application that autosaves logic every x minutes, just launch it and set frequency in minutes,

As Logic doesn't support applescript i had to use automator, so every time it saves it will catch your mouse arrow for a couple of seconds then it will release it.

NEW VERSION 1.1

v1.0.005 will not save in some cases, for example when a plug-in window is opened. Honestly Automator is full of problems, i've tried many solutions but most of them doesn't works properly, by the way i've found one that looks fine on both 10.5 and 10.6, so i've uploaded v 1.1.002, it calls logic using cmd-tab, then save, this is the only working method i've found as of now.

I've kept v1..0.003 for 10.5.x users as is a bit faster and i bit less invasive, i've tried doing a faster automaton for 1.1 but on 10.5.x is too fast and it doesn't works so i had to keep it a bit more slower, by the way it should do the job in a couple of seconds more or less.

remember to enable checkbox "Enable access for assistive devices", under System Preferences/Universal Access else Automator will nto work properly

screenshot:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7286/schermata20120306a00525.png

Hope this helps, and it works :)

best

EDIT: Removed download Links, you can find it on my new website riccardoferri.net

Edited by tigermaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi, and first thank you to all guys and girls making comments and tips for dumb like me !!! :lol:

logicautosave works and i can tell you that i m gonna loose less time redoing all the things i loose when logic crash!!! YEEEESSSSSS!!

I can t understand why there s no auto save on logic while there already were an auto save option on all other sequencers since 1980!!

Maybe the programmers were thinking logic is perfect and there's no point to make an autosave option!!?

My config : Mac osx 10 6 8 I7 8Gb ram

logic 9 1 6

Sorry for my english i m french!

a little link with some of my tracks : http://soundcloud.com/hurtingbreaks

Cool, i'm happy it works for you, i'll test it out on my mac this week, i have a clean 10.6.8 installation on another partition, i hope it will not work for me so i will be able to identify the problem else it will be quite hard to understand what's wrong with some configurations....

i'll be back once i have some news :)

• 3 weeks later...

Down loaded your script and ran the .zip, set it for 10min save... 10 min after, got this:

AppleScript Error

Folder does not exist. (-43)

By the way, this was run on my iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • 4 GB Ram, not the System in my signature below...

hope it helps :wink:

This is addressed to the author: Is there a reason why this is run-only? If you're running 10.5.8, there are bound to be complications when run on Snow Leopard or Lion. Why not post the editable script so we (users on Snow Leopard and Lion) can fix the issues?

Unless of course you're planning on selling this as a close-sourced application? Pretty sure Logic Pro X (when it's released) will support auto-save, though.

Down loaded your script and ran the .zip, set it for 10min save... 10 min after, got this:
AppleScript Error

Folder does not exist. (-43)

By the way, this was run on my iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • 4 GB Ram, not the System in my signature below...

hope it helps :wink:

have you moved the application after launch ?

it should not be moved it once is opened.

Thanks for the feedback, i'll look at it as soon as i can, busy days...

This is addressed to the author: Is there a reason why this is run-only? If you're running 10.5.8, there are bound to be complications when run on Snow Leopard or Lion. Why not post the editable script so we (users on Snow Leopard and Lion) can fix the issues?

Unless of course you're planning on selling this as a close-sourced application? Pretty sure Logic Pro X (when it's released) will support auto-save, though.

edited: try the new version above and let me know, else i'll share the source, by the way you need an old x-code in order to edit the application cause with x-code 4.x applescript studio has been abandoned.

Is not a script editor appllciation.

best

Edited by tigermaster

Ok guys i've made some tests on Snow Leopard, basically there is a problem with the automator script when is executed by the "shell script" command inside the applescript application.

I've made a new automator script application using automator on 10.6.8, and it works fine if i try double clicking on it, while if the same application is recalled by applescript it opens and selects logic but then it doesn't "command-s", don't know why, it works fine in 10.5.8 even with the automator script made in 10.6.8.

i have to find another way to make it works on 10.6.x

let me think about it a bit more.....

Well, i've found a very rude workaround but it works now :)

Please download the new version from the first thread.

Remember also to activate the checkbox "Enable Access for assistive devices" under system preferences/Universal Access else automator will not work properly.

I've updated info on the first thread.

Let me know.... ;)

Unfortunately 1.0.005 won't save in some cases, so i had to find another solution, damned automator, it sux!!

I've uploaded 1.1.002, this time it should works nearly always, btw it depends what you are doing when it saves, i mean if you are in idle it should do the job flawlessy, but if you are using the keyboard or the mouse there are chances that it will not save, in this case it's just a warning so maybe you'll remember to save manually :)

i've kept v1.0.003 available for 10.5.x as it's a bit faster and less invasive

let me know and thanks for testing!

Still not working for me... no error messages (at least), but the session file is not being backed up :|

i see no downloads of the new version, wich one have you tried? i've just uploaded v1.1.002, i see 2 downloads of the older version that is only for 10.5.x

also have you enabled "Enable Access for assistive devices" under system preferences/Universal Access ?

Also logic must have some modifications pending since the last save else the command-s option is greyed out.

if still does not work please try this, clicking the application with ctrl click and "show package contents", inside the folder MacOS there's the automator application called selectandsave.app

if you try opening that one directly still it does nothing? it should command-tab and select logic and then save.

if it does nothing it probably means that automator works differently on different machines, so the only thing i can say is to make your own automation with Automator that works and then rename and replace mine with yours.

This is current one

-enable recording

-press cmd-tab

-click logic icon

-press command-s

-stop recording

then save as application and you're done, you can speed up with the slider up to 10x

Logic Autosave application will open any application called selectandsave.app placed inside the folder MacOS every x minutes.

if anyone finds another working automator script please share it, i'm out of ideas right now... thanks

happy to hear that :)

in the meantime i had another idea, i can make an application that instead of trying to save itself it opens an audio file with a (customizable) warning sound that remembers you to save, pressing cmd-s costs nothing, main problem is that sometimes i forgot to do it for several hours, so a warning sound would be nice for this matter....maybe...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i've tried forever save but it looks it overlaps with my current .bak folder, also i don't understand why i set 15 minutes frequency but if i try to look my backup folder it's more than 1 hour that it doesn't save, there's something wrong...

i'll test it a bit more..

When you first launch a project it gives you the option to begin using forever save with a popup message for the user to confirm. If you confirm it is enabled. This helps if you just want to launch a project to check it out or experiment but dont want it to automatically start saving. I have it set to 5 min frequency. It may save over .bak as well but I know it saves in its own repository as well. I think if you manually hit save it overlaps with .bak, however I am not sure about this.