Transform Crescendo not working

metrobot

Works great here. Make sure your use the proper Position parameter values - most people miss that bit from the manual:

Position: Determines the time position of the event, referenced to the start point of the MIDI region (not the start point of the project).

That means if your region spans, say, from 49 1 1 1 to 51 1 1 1, then you'll have to set the position parameters to 1 1 1 1 and 3 1 1 1.

Hi david.

Usually I just lasso the notes that i want to crescendo press "operate only" and it works but not anymore. Not in any other sessions either.

The selected notes are still being transformed just not in the right way. If I choose to to perform any other functions (such as transposition) it works but with crescendo it's not. It seems the second value input box has no influence on the outcome and the value put into the first box results in each selected note having a velocity of 127.

Also the graphic in the map box stays flat and doesn't "ramp".

Usually I just lasso the notes that i want to crescendo press "operate only" and it works

You were just lucky and the "Position" parameter was just right for what you were trying to do.

but not anymore. Not in any other sessions either.

You need to adjust your Position parameter as indicated in my previous post.

Also the graphic in the map box stays flat and doesn't "ramp".

Yes, here too. In fact I'm not sure exactly why it displays a map at the bottom of the Transform window - but don't worry about that.

If you still can't figure it out, try it in a new project, with your region spanning bars 1 1 1 1 to 3 1 1 1 and entering those values in the Position parameter of the transform window.

Hi david, I opened a new session and the crescendo worked as you said but in the session i'm working in the position parameter seems to be off, sometimes by a half measure or two measures. As you can see from the screenshot I put the position parameters at

3 1 1 1 and 4 6 2 1 and the result was a crescendo starting at 2 4 1 1 and ending at 4 3 2 1

Also, Is there any way to just lasso the notes like you can with other transform presets?

Thanks again for your help.

-Matt

1714269150_Screenshot2012-10-27at17_13_47.thumb.png.dd6179e1e3ff1b7a21775b3585916d12.png

Hi david, I opened a new session and the crescendo worked as you said but in the session i'm working in the position parameter seems to be off, sometimes by a half measure or two measures. As you can see from the screenshot I put the position parameters at

3 1 1 1 and 4 6 2 1 and the result was a crescendo starting at 2 4 1 1 and ending at 4 3 2 1

Works great here. Make sure your use the proper Position parameter values - most people miss that bit from the manual:

Position: Determines the time position of the event, referenced to the start point of the MIDI region (not the start point of the project).

That means if your region spans, say, from 49 1 1 1 to 51 1 1 1, then you'll have to set the position parameters to 1 1 1 1 and 3 1 1 1.

Sorry RL, but everything is correct. MB wanted to transform the notes starting at 55 1 1 1. The region starts at 53 1 1 1, so the position parameter should be at 3 1 1 1.

Gotcha :oops:

I incorrectly assumed metrobot wanted to start the crescendo at bar 53, entered the wrong position in the Transform window and the Universe tilted slightly to the left. :)

My start point is at 1 1 1 1. However the fist measure is a bar of 3/8 which functioned as an empty bar for a pickup note leading into the start of the track, which is in 6/8. When I deleted the 3/8 time signature. The transformation worked fine, however now all the down beats are off by a half measure. so I put the 3/8 measure at bar 2 and i'm back with the same problem. So I move the 3/8 measure to bar 3 and bingo every thing is working as it should???? The other thing is there is there is one bar of 7/8 in the middle of the track and that causes no problems.

So basically all I wanted to do was lasso a few beats to perform a simple crescendo…which i guess you can't do…really??

Instead you have to count bars beats and subdivisions AND in this case logic couldn't recognise a simple time signature change?

@*%*!

Anyway

Cheers guys...help is always appreciated.

-Matt

true. but it would be nice to be able to keep the relative velocity relationships between the notes and/or crescendo notes within the part (like the left hand of a piano part doing crescendo or decrescendo) with relative ease...I swear that I could lasso the notes before.

Anyway maybe I'll have to take a look at creating transform sets...

Sometimes the learning curve feels like a wall. :?

• 1 year later...

Here the same. Always wondered -since the early days of Emagic- why this Transform function is so complex.

What I (and many other users) expect is: select notes, select crescendo, choose Operate and it should make a crescendo from 1 to 127 for the selected notes. (1-127 are Default values). But that is not the case. :(

I would love to fully understand the way of thinking behind this, but the position thing as mentioned by David, is not accessible in my Crescendo-case. I selected Crescendo, and the only drop down select I can manipulate is Status.

And as it promised to transform selected notes, position should not have any influence, or am I wrong?

So I looked it up in the manual (thanks for the hint, David!), and created a crescendo by creating a new Transform preset from scratch. And indeed, it worked, because I was able to set the position as well! Thanks for that!

Conclusion: the Crescendo preset is crappy.

Feature request: if no position is given, let the Tranform do transformations to the selected events 'inside' the range in between the first and the last selected event. Or let us choose between 'Selection length' and 'Region length'. Wouldn't that be comfortable? :D

Here the same. Always wondered -since the early days of Emagic- why this Transform function is so complex.

What I (and many other users) expect is: select notes, select crescendo, choose Operate and it should make a crescendo from 1 to 127 for the selected notes. (1-127 are Default values). But that is not the case. :(

You also have to specify at which positions you want the crescendo to start and end.

I would love to fully understand the way of thinking behind this, but the position thing as mentioned by David, is not accessible in my Crescendo-case. I selected Crescendo, and the only drop down select I can manipulate is Status.

In Logic you can't create a crescendo without specifying at which position you want the crescendo to start and end, so ... that's odd that you can't see it. Can you show a screenshot of your MIDI Transform window with the crescendo preset selected?

And as it promised to transform selected notes, position should not have any influence, or am I wrong?

As far as Logic is concerned you're wrong: Logic needs to know where to start and end the crescendo - that's just how Logic works.

Conclusion: the Crescendo preset is crappy.

Well - apparently you have a problem with your crescendo preset - it works as expected here.

Feature request: if no position is given, let the Tranform do transformations to the selected events 'inside' the range in between the first and the last selected event. Or let us choose between 'Selection length' and 'Region length'. Wouldn't that be comfortable? :D

I think that's a great idea. You can post feature requests in our New Feature Suggestions forum. You can also send them directly to Apple at https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

• 1 year later...

Hi guys , i think an important point was missed here , I’ve been here for an hour trying to figure out the same problem with Logic pro. I couldnt get the crescendo to work properly. I followed the tips provided E.g. my region is at 8111 - 8311 , and so i stated 8111 - 8241 within the position option within crescendo. It still wouldnt work. I then tried moving my region to the beginning of the track ( 1111 ) and it worked there. I then moved my region back to its original position - 8111 - 8311 and stated 1111 - 1241 in the position and it then worked. Even though my midi regions began at 8311, i still had to state 1111 for the beginning of the position and 1241 for the end ( even though i was at bar 8111 - 8311 …… so where ever your region starts , where ever it maybe within the track state 1111 as the starting point to crescend.

if you had a region that actually starts at 1111 and continues till the end of the track i would imagine that you need to specify the actual position but if you have a region that begins anywhere other than 1111, you then need to use 1111 as starting point and so on.

heres a screen shot

Hope that helps

1598393415_ScreenShot2016-02-11at23_54_57.thumb.png.f14e473225f976e3fb2bfbfc951195ee.png

Yes. That's pretty much what David stated in his first post:

yes i seen his post and the position to be marked as 1111 where ever a region is placed should solve any issue however, if you want the accurate velocity that you had specified/desired for the cresendo then the midi notes placed between 4911 and 5311 would need to be written as 1111 - 2441 in the position, otherwise the velocities are inaccurate

:)

• 2 months later...
hey guys

can you help out this mathematically challenged user??? lol

i dont get the "logic" behind what the end time location to be entered should be????

The reference is the beginning of the region. You then place the start and end time where desired inside the region. So if you want your crescendo from 8 1 1 1 to 12 1 1 1 and your region starts on 8 1 1 1, you enter 1 1 1 1 and 5 1 1 1 as the start and end times.

also...in this vid the guy dosnt do anything to start and end times!

No, because they're already set at the desired values, just like in the example I gave you.

what is the formula irrespective of a given selection or particular numbers
what is the formula irrespective of a given selection or particular numbers

S = bar number of the start of the crescendo in the Tracks area.

E = bar number of the end of the crescendo in the Tracks area.

The length of your crescendo is:

L = E - S

In the Transformer, set the start to 1 and the end to 1 + L.