Logic Pro 9 hangs during start-up, and playback issues

Sy_Mercade

Hi, my copy of Logic Pro 9.1.6 (32 bit, should I be using 64? I have no idea about 32/64 bit stuff. How do I change it if I should be?) is having a hard time turning on. Eventually it'll start, but it takes a long time, accompanied by the spinning beachball of death. While it's thinking, all my other processes hang as well.

I've noticed a connection between the internet, and its proficiency. I found that when I used it on an airplane, with no internet connected, it started in a few seconds and worked like a charm. Right now, I'm just trying to open a new project and it's taking about 3 mins now, just thinking. The only reason I'm starting it up right now is because I closed it (I usually just keep it running in the background) because I thought maybe what it needed to run better was a chance to rest.

Problem #2 is much more irritating, during playback, or recording, the CPU/HD meters will shoot up, and it will either

A) Stop (If recording or playback) : If this happens I'll get a message, either saying Logic had a problem, or much more rarely that the HD is not spinning fast enough, or the sudden impact head something or other.

B) Garble/Corrupt the sound if I'm playing keyboard, which it'll do until the CPU/HD goes back down. Then I wait about a minute and start playing again.

Also, the CPU meter tends to shoot up even when nothing is happening. Like when it's just sitting there.

All I have running in the background usually are a few browser windows

This computer is old, maybe 4 or 3 years but I really don't think its the computer. When it's not giving me these problems it works perfectly. Still I'm thinking about getting a new one, but its pretty expensive.

I've tried freezing tracks but it didnt really change things and it took a lot of time.

I also find that when I plug in the USB Logitech Mic, or remove it, it hangs for a few minutes, sometimes I see loading for Backwards Fifth, even if that channel has no plugins.

One more thing, is there anyway to make it so if you have 2 projects open, whenever you switch focus to the other project, it doesn't have to load up everything all over again before you can even click anything?

Also, I'm not using any big 3rd party plugins that require power or anything.

Thanks!

To fix the 'delayed start' issue.. related to an internet connection...you will need to update to 9.1.8 as that was fixed in that update...

The other issue you described... has been covered here several times.. Do a quick search for Sudden Motion Sensor.. and you will find several of them... including these recent ones..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88058&p=462634&hilit=sudden+motion+sensor#p462634

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83244&hilit=sudden+motion+sensor

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88445

and this article may help you eliminate some of them

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3834

HTH...

Hey n6smith,

Thanks for your post, I'll try updating to 9.1.8 now. Just one question though, if it causes more problems, can I revert back to 9.1.6? I saw some complaints in the 9.1.8 thread.

And I found some tips in the articles you linked, we'll have to see if they do any good.

Thanks

Well I updated, and the start-up of the actual program was slightly better, but then opening a project took 5 mins, and once I was in, I couldn't play something for more than 3 seconds without a system overload.

Curious note about the overloads I forgot to mention. Once it's gone over that part and crashed, it will have no trouble playing over that part again, it'll just crash on the next part it hasn't been to yet. This has always happened.

I'm not seeing much good to the 9.1.8 update here, including a new error message about MIDI data not synching or something.

But this could also be because I opened it, forgot it in the background, and closed the laptop, then came back to it and tried to use it. Tomorrow I'll try again with a fresh start.

always best to put your computer to sleep b4 u close the lid! Obviously, the best thing is just to safely shut it down. Have you checked your hard drive for errors using something like Drive Genius?

I have not, is Drive Genius a free thing?

When I close the lid, the computer falls asleep, I also did this terminal command where you have to press a button to wake it up, avoiding bumps when traveling.

Today it took even longer for 9.1.8 to try to start up. It didnt make it, I had to Cmd+Opt+Esc it. It took 2 mins for the Cmd+Opt+Esc screen to show up, while everything else was frozen while Logic tried to open a project. When I tried to bring up the dock at the bottom of the screen to force quit Logic specifically, the dock froze still too.

I have Google Chrome running over 100 tabs throughout 6 windows, maybe this is hurting the memory. Chrome even presented its own kill task box because some tabs became "unresponsive", but I waited like always, because it's not the tab's fault.

I have Google Chrome running over 100 tabs throughout 6 windows, maybe this is hurting the memory. Chrome even presented its own kill task box because some tabs became "unresponsive", but I waited like always, because it's not the tab's fault.

You think?.. Thats a lot of memory being used to support that number of tabs...

So, try this...

Quit Chrome, reboot your computer then start Logic...

if you can get Logic to Open...

Go to Logic's Preferences and change the Startup Action setting to "Do Nothing"

Then Quit Logic and restart and see if that speeds things up.

504084352_LogicStartupPrefs.png.da4abaeab0c2389d9f38bd880d396cc2.png

If it does... it indicates either a possible problem with a project or template that Logic was trying to open.... or possibly due to a lack of memory caused by all those tabs being open in Chrome!

Hi n6smith

Didnt realize how much memory Chrome could take. I figured it was better at that than Firefox. Am really considering getting a new computer dedicated to Logic. Haven't tried restarting the computer and keeping Chrome closed yet, but I'll shut it down tonight and post what happens tomorrow. So far 9.1.8 isn't seeming that different to me.

Also, a memory question, even if I do quit Chrome, do I need to restart the computer to regain the memory it was using?

And I already have it set to Do Nothing, it's usually when I click the "File" menu at the top to open a new or recent project that the problems start.

I have read some comments elsewhere that Chrome has some possible memory leak issues so as part of this 'test' I would suggest you restart the computer just to ensure you start with absolutely all possible memory available.

Just as an aside, i use nothing but Safari and never have any issues... I'm not saying using another browser is a 'bad thing'.. I'm just saying that i try and keep my main Audio computer as clean as possible... from any possible 3rd party interactions/conflicts.

Btw... Getting a computer just for use with Logic.. is a great idea if you can afford it. It is something I did a while ago and have never regretted the extra expense..

And I already have it set to Do Nothing, it's usually when I click the "File" menu at the top to open a new or recent project that the problems start.

Ah... now that's interesting (from a diagnostic point of view) that it happens then and not prior to Logic getting to the point where you can choose a file...

Four main things to ask/check..

1) Are you storing your projects on your system drive/is that the default drive/folder when you click on open in Logic? If not, how is the external drive formatted and what type and interface?

2) How much free space do you have on your system drive?

3) What else, if anything... do you have loading on boot-up of the computer? What apps do you have running in your menu bar for example... Also any anti malware/virus apps running?

4) Have you checked and repaired your permissions recently?

1) Are you storing your projects on your system drive/is that the default drive/folder when you click on open in Logic? If not, how is the external drive formatted and what type and interface?

I just use the internal HD, which has 38 GB left on it right now. Basically I never use the 'open' dialog and just either make a new project or pick one from the 'recent projects' list

2) How much free space do you have on your system drive?

38GB/320GB

3) What else, if anything... do you have loading on boot-up of the computer? What apps do you have running in your menu bar for example... Also any anti malware/virus apps running?

Uhh....McAfee is in the bar because when I was in college they made me install it in order to use internet, along with a NacAgent verifier thing, other than that ummm....iStat, a widget in the dashboard that tells me temp, memory, etc.

I also rarely shut it down, just put it to sleep by closing the lid every night.

4) Have you checked and repaired your permissions recently?

Nope, I have no idea what this is.

I also find that this happens mostly when I don't give Logic about 30 seconds to just "settle in" once it loads.

Also, what exactly is the difference between 32/64 bit?

Also just looked at Activity Monitor. Shhiiiiittttttt Google Chrome has like 50 processes of "Google Chrome Renderer" going, each taking anywhere from 50-100MB of RAM

Here is every process that's running, can you tell if any of them look fishy?

360Daemon

Activity Monitor

activitymonitord

AirPort Base Station Agent

AppleSpell.service

autofsd

blued

cma

configd

ConsumerTouchDriver

coreaudiod

coreservicesd

CrossOver CD Helper

cupsd

cvmsServ

DashboardClient

DashboardClient

DirectoryService

diskarbitrationd

diskimages-helper

distnoted

Dock

dynamic_pager

Finder

fmpd

fontd

fseventsd

hdiejectd

hidd

iCal

iTunes

iTunes Helper

kernel_task

KernelEventAgent

kextd

krb5kdc

launchd

launchd

loginwindow

ManyCam

McAfee Reporter

mDNSResponder

mds

mdworker

mdworker

Menulet

Nalpeirond6

nmbd

notifyd

ntpd

pboard

PenTabletDriver

Popup

qmasterd

securityd

smbd

smbd

socketfilterfw

Speech Synthesis Server

syslogd

SystemStarter

SystemUIServer

TabletDriver

TextEdit

TuxGuitar

usbmuxd

UserEventAgent

VDCAssistant

vmnet-bridge

vmnet-dhcpd

vmnet-dhcpd

vmnet-natd

vmnet-netifup

vmnet-netifup

VShieldScanManager

VShieldScanner

VShieldService

WindowServer

Okay.. first of all, thanks for the detailed info.. this helps a great deal..

I'm just going to go over a few things with you .. for you to look at (and correct when needed)

1) You do not have enough free space on your system drive. Typically you should keep at least 20-25% of the total size of your system drive, free as OS X needs that space to 'breathe' in and work properly and optimally.

2) Anti Mal/virus software can interfere with the smooth operation of programs.. in the sense that they can slow things down.. especially disk/file access and read/write operations.

3) Your comment about letting Logic 'settle down' first after initially starting it, is a good sign that either #1 and/or #2 are causing Logic to need to take extra time to fully start up...

4) Logic in 32bit mode can only access (address) up to 4GB of Memory and that memory is also being used by the OS and any other programs such as Chrome so in reality Logic may only have access to less than 1.5GB of your total memory when you run it in 32bit mode. Running Logic in 64bit mode allows Logic to use (address) all 6GB of memory you have installed giving it much more 'room' for it to work with.... and with Logic as with any other complex program, the more RAM it has access to, the better!

5) As I said earlier.. running Chrome with all those open tabs will literally be sucking the life out of your computer because it is using up stacks of memory which a program like Logic cannot then use for it's self.. Also, you are using up valuable CPU cycles with every other program that is running at the same time as Logic.. which slows things down generally speaking. This is why, when I am working in Logic I quit every other program I can on the computer so all available memory (and CPU 'power') is free and available for Logic to use.. It's just a habit i have developed over the years.. and it pays off for sure.

So...

A) Clean up your Hard Drive to free up much more space... (maybe delete stuff you are no longer using and/or backup or move stuff you rarely use to an external drive) This is very important.. and needs to be addressed as soon as you can.

B) Before starting up Logic, quit any other programs you can... prior to doing so... (and give the computer a min or so after doing so to let it 'settle down') and see if that improves matters for you.

C) Don't worry about the permissions thing for now... If needed we can come back to that later...

D) To check if you are running Logic in 64 or 32 bit mode... go to About Logic in the menu bar and the window that pops up will tell you.

E) To change from 32bit to 64 bit mode go here.. (Though I suspect you will be running in 64bit mode already if you never changed it in the past)

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=3%26section=1%26tasks=true

F) Please stop keeping as many Tabs open in Chrome and quit Chrome when using Logic if you can!