No sound when importing midi files(GM Devices) [SOLVED]

Lausanne

Hey!

I just installed Logic Pro 9.1.8 on my fresh Mountain Lion 10.8.2 system and when I import midi files to Logic I get no sound at all.

When I was running Lion 10.7.4 and imported a midi file into logic it created instrument tracks automatically and it automatically created a "Grand Piano" for example but not anymore..

"As a default behavior, Logic automatically creates software instrument tracks for each MIDI track, and assigns an appropriate GarageBand instrument to each, when you open a MIDI file. If you want to use external MIDI tracks for each MIDI track, press Option while opening the MIDI file."

This is what I mean but it doesnt seem to work :/

Here is a printscreen:

http://i.imgur.com/B1G82.png

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Lausanne

Those are external MIDI tracks. You need to put your regions on software instrument tracks, and their channel strips must have software instruments loaded.

J.

When I was running Lion 10.7.4 and imported a midi file into logic it created instrument tracks automatically and it automatically created a "Grand Piano" for example but not anymore..

"As a default behavior, Logic automatically creates software instrument tracks for each MIDI track, and assigns an appropriate GarageBand instrument to each, when you open a MIDI file. If you want to use external MIDI tracks for each MIDI track, press Option while opening the MIDI file."

This is what I mean but it doesnt seem to work :/

Sorry :D

I'm currently running Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

It's OK, but please add the required info to your signature here.

Unfortunately I can't verify what you're saying as I'm not running Mountain Lion here. Maybe someone else can check and confirm.

J.

Yup, just did.

Aw alright, hopefully someone else can confirm :)

In ML 10.8.2 and Logic 9.1.8 working fine here, as described in the Guide

This is what I did....

Create project...

Go to File/import

In dialog box.. locate midi file

Hold down option key and double click on midi file

Midi file opens up as separate tracks in Logic as Ext instruments ready for you to assign them as such to your external synths..

Which is how it is supposed to work...

Now...

If you don't hold down Option key but simply double click on Midi file.. Logic will create multiple Software Instruments that play in Logic using Logic's EXS 24..

You can tell the difference because without the option key held down, Logic loads in the various samples needed for playback... With the option key held down, it does not do this during the import process

HTH

I just got my friend to try it and he has the same problem as me, he's running ML 10.8.2 and Logic Pro 9.1.8 aswell.

Well, I guess it must be a Mountain Lion-related issue then. :roll:

J.

In ML 10.8.2 and Logic 9.1.8 working fine here, as described in the Guide

This is what I did....

Create project...

Go to File/import

In dialog box.. locate midi file

Hold down option key and double click on midi file

Midi file opens up as separate tracks in Logic as Ext instruments ready for you to assign them as such to your external synths..

Which is how it is supposed to work...

Now...

If you don't hold down Option key but simply double click on Midi file.. Logic will create multiple Software Instruments that play in Logic using Logic's EXS 24..

You can tell the difference because without the option key held down, Logic loads in the various samples needed for playback... With the option key held down, it does not do this during the import process

HTH

Still only creating MIDI tracks.

I installed GarageBand and after that it works as I wanted to.

After uninstalling GarageBand it still works as I described in my first post.

Should I really have to install GarageBand for this to work...?

http://i.imgur.com/GuVdN.png

Hm, this is really weird lol :P

Edited by Lausanne

You do realize that there is a difference between your first screenshot you posted and the last one, yes?

In the first you imported Midi as Ext Midi instruments... which you will then need to assign each track to your external midi synths...

In the last one you have imported midi as (internal) software Instrument tracks... that will play using EXS24 without the use of external midi synths...

I think what is confusing you is that they are both MIDI TRACKS but using in your first screenshot, they will play EXT Synths... and in the 2nd screenshot they will play Internal Software Instruments....(Namely the EXS24 which is the default used)

I installed GarageBand and after that it works as I wanted to.

After uninstalling GarageBand it still works as I described in my first post.

Should I really have to install GarageBand for this to work...?

Then it makes sense it's not working for you...re read what you quoted from the manual:

If there are no garageband instruments in your system, what do you expect Logic to load?

J.

You do realize that there is a difference between your first screenshot you posted and the last one, yes?

In the first you imported Midi as Ext Midi instruments... which you will then need to assign each track to your external midi synths...

In the last one you have imported midi as (internal) software Instrument tracks... that will play using EXS24 without the use of external midi synths...

I think what is confusing you is that they are both MIDI TRACKS but using in your first screenshot, they will play EXT Synths... and in the 2nd screenshot they will play Internal Software Instruments....(Namely the EXS24 which is the default used)

Yes, I realize that.

But as I said before installing GarageBand without holding down "cmd" it still opened up as MIDI TRACKS using EXT synths.

Now when I have GarageBand installed it opens up the way I want it (internal)

I

Then it makes sense it's not working for you...re read what you quoted from the manual:

If there are no garageband instruments in your system, what do you expect Logic to load?

J.

But before installing GarageBand I could still open up GarageBand instruments in Logic..

But before installing GarageBand I could still open up GarageBand instruments in Logic..

You lost me there...why should you have to install Garageband? I was under the impression Garageband came pre-installed with OSX...

J.

Garageband is not pre-installed when you do a fresh install of ML, atleast it wasnt for me..

I didn't have Garageband installed under 10.7.4 and Logic Pro created internal intstruments when importing MIDI files..

Oh well, I'm confused myself and I guess I'll just keep Garageband installed so this works :P

Now I understand what you meant Lausanne......

I tested this on a Mac that has never had GB installed on it.... without holding down the Option key...and Logic did NOT create Ext Midi tracks.. to play back the imported GM Midi files... but created SI tracks as expected. They just all played the same EXS Piano Sound..... and I had to manually set the sounds myself..) As the Guide says, it requires GB installed to play back imported GM midi files... Using GM sounds... via the GB EXS24 presets......

No GB... No GM Sounds.... Just the same piano sound.. on all midi tracks..(Though you can manually set them yourself of course...)

If I held down the option key when selecting the imported midi files then Logic created EXT Instrument tracks... but that was the only way i could get that to occur.

I then installed GB on that Mac and it worked as expected..... with the correct GM sounds being loaded up from the GB EXS preset list..

So... I have no idea why yours did not create SI tracks instead of EXT Instrument tracks... because mine did so...

Edited by n6smith

Now I understand what you meant Lausanne......

I tested this on a Mac that has never had GB installed on it.... and Logic did NOT select any other software instruments to play back GM Midi files... As the Guide says, it requires GB installed to play back imported GM midi files... using EXS24....

No GB... No Sounds.... (Though you can manually set them yourself of course...)

I then installed GB on that Mac and it worked as expected.....

So... I have no idea how you managed to play back GM Midi files without GB installed before...

Hehe, I'm sorry for explaining so bad :P

I removed Garageband completely and ran the Logic installer again and choosed to install Garageband instruments and now it works. (Even without any Garageband content I still was able to choose Garageband instruments in Logic though, strange.)

Probably what I did before aswell just that I forgot it, haha.

Thanks for helping me out :)

Oh well, I'm confused myself and I guess I'll just keep Garageband installed so this works :P

That sounds like an acceptable solution to me :)

J.

Glad you got it working.... and thanks for letting us know how...

Much appreciated!

Cheers...

Thanks guys :)

I just got my friend to try it and he has the same problem as me, he's running ML 10.8.2 and Logic Pro 9.1.8 aswell.

Well, I guess it must be a Mountain Lion-related issue then. :roll:

J.

Here is what worked for me:

After importing the midi files, select the track in the arrange window, open up "inspector", change midi channel (instead of "all", select any other one from 1 - 16). One of them should make your file audible.

1719976094_ScreenShot2013-01-04at04_20_15.thumb.png.0b1d6470deee6cf2f93dfe19b1fea911.png