roland gaia sh-01 tips please

alicefrench69

hi there, first time poster here. great site and thanks for your help.

i simply want to use my gaia as both a midi controller for logic software instruments in my sessions and i'm hoping it can be used to send its own sounds to tracks as well and hoping it will do all these while synching up to my session clock. is any of this possible? i used the computer out on the back of the synth with a usb cable into my macbook and it triggered software instruments in a session but the notes seemed to clip and distort on various instruments. do i need specific software or drivers? is this at all do-able?

i'm new to this so i'll have to learn how to track down your replies but feel free to email me if you get a chance. thanks so much. hope to hear back.

al

i simply want to use my gaia as both a midi controller for logic software instruments in my sessions and i'm hoping it can be used to send its own sounds to tracks as well and hoping it will do all these while synching up to my session clock. is any of this possible?

Yes, this is perfectly possible with your synth.

i used the computer out on the back of the synth with a usb cable into my macbook and it triggered software instruments in a session but the notes seemed to clip and distort on various instruments.

Turn down the level on those instruments? It's hard to help with the limited amount of info you're giving.

do i need specific software or drivers?

You should definitely consult your synth's manual first (or visit Roland's website) to get an answer to those questions...

OK, I couldn't resist...I took a quick peek and there are drivers available for OSX, plus an update for Gaia's system program (ver. 104).

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=SH-01

J.

hey david. laying gaia to tracks and sounding awesome. thanks. the last step is to find a way to synch gaia up with logic session clock so arpeggiator conforms tempo wise to logic session and not to gaia's tempo. also would help for quantizing. maybe a midi thing or usb thing. thoughts?

the last step is to find a way to synch gaia up with logic session clock so arpeggiator conforms tempo wise to logic session and not to gaia's tempo.

In Logic, go to Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI and under MIDI Clock, enable the appropriate destination port.

You'll have to set the Gaia to listen to external clock sync. Check the Gaia's manual.

J.

• 1 year later...

thank you david. yeah i found another way of doing it using the environment. i apologise i actually started another thread as i wasnt sure this would get seen as it was on such an old one.

am having problems now though as the sustain wont stop on one of the notes, im not sure if its a problem with the gaia or logic, i am assuming its the former. have u any suggestions?

• 11 months later...

I'm trying to sync my roland gaia sh-01 to the bpm in logic pro x, so that the gaia arpeggiator does not run out of tempo with the drum track I made in logic.

my gaia is connected to the computer via UM-ONE midi interface

I set the gaia to receiving midi clock data as desc

I set logic pro x to transmitting midi clock data to UM-ONE

The problem is that when I turn the arpeggiator on, there is no sound or data coming through.

When I connect the gaia via USB (and set the gaia to receiving midi clock data via usb), I have the same problem.

any suggestions? thanks for your help!

I'm trying to sync my roland gaia sh-01 to the bpm in logic pro x, so that the gaia arpeggiator does not run out of tempo with the drum track I made in logic.

my gaia is connected to the computer via UM-ONE midi interface

I set the gaia to receiving midi clock data as desc

I set logic pro x to transmitting midi clock data to UM-ONE

The problem is that when I turn the arpeggiator on, there is no sound or data coming through.

When I connect the gaia via USB (and set the gaia to receiving midi clock data via usb), I have the same problem.

any suggestions? thanks for your help!

Please do not double-post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119796&p=613821#p613821

Feel free to bump your other thread if you haven't got an answer yet.

Thanks!

J.