Sudden Motion Sensor - recording/playback plus echo..!

janeenurs

I've recently upgraded laptop to a second hand MacBook Pro i7; 2.8 GHz intel core; OSX Version 10.8.2; 16 GB memory.

This done as I was having CPU problems in my old set-up.

Now... I'm experiencing frequent stops with the Sudden Motion Sensor warning - recording or playback, no matter what size project, using external hard-drive (via USB) or internal hard-drive.

The internal hard-drive is partitioned (by the person who sold it to me) with Bootcamp, which I'm yet to clear off - I don't intend to keep it. Does anyone have any idea if this could be causing the problem??

I am also experiencing projects dropping out or freezing in Mainstage.

And on both there can be a sort of very echoey sound after the error warning/system freezes - coming back through laptop audio ouptut and through sound card, to speakers...

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks, I'll have a look now, been on it all day - trying to find a solution... was about to try and install old version of Snow Leopard on a partition on the internal hard-drive as a possible solution/to see if it helped - lots of reports of Mountain Lion having similar issues. But will look at this first.

Yes, I've looked at the information on the link, nothing there unfortunately that helps - I've tried most of the measures they suggest. The project I'm working on that this is happening in today has one software instrument and 2 audio tracks - with no plugins.

Bizarre, and most frustrating having just upgraded in the hope of having a better more stable work station.

Here is a screen shot of the latest crash - it shows the CPU overloading, but the other side of the meter (the Disk I/O) was peaking 100% until just before it crashed.

I have looked at the Console for any error messages - I'm not sure what is relevant, a lot there, but there was this

13/03/2013 20:04:27.377 Logic Pro[241]: Warning: NSSegmentedCell has unknown NSControlSize 3. This will only be reported once.

And some stuff too about two downloaded VST;s I've recently downloaded ( the only ones so far).

Do you think it is worth trying to install Snow Leopard and running Logic on that to see if that helps, on a partition on the internal hard-drive?

Thank you.

Hello, thanks for suggestions -

Re: Processing Thread - it is currently set to Automatic, the other options are 4 or 2 - will setting lower help here?

Re: The I/O Buffer is set to 1024 and the Process Buffer is set to 'Large"

The problem seems to happen randomly - but frequently - it is very concerning - I will have to go back to using my old MacBook for the time being. Or install Snow Leoapard on this MacBookPro.

Any thoughts on Snow Leopard versus Mountain Lion stability wise using Logic/audio? I've seen a lot of feed back about OS X 10.8.2 having lots of similar issues with audio/Logic - and that Snow Leopard not/10.8.3 should be remedying this?

Ok - will set them to 4. This is happening on projects with 1 or 2 audio tracks and one software (EXS24) (using internal mic and audio output) and no plugins on audio tracks as well as projects with more software and audio tracks and plug ins using Duet.

I do have the latest Duet drivers installed - downloaded from Apogee in the past few weeks.

I have down loaded two VST's since getting this set-up - an XILS 3 L.E and a Crystal synth.

I've been looking at the system log this a.m (and previously) for any clues - and it is FULL of text - some text referring to 'bug' and some saying the respective VST's are 'sandboxd' and cannot be 'bundled' etc etc. I could copy up here, if you or anyone knows how to read these Console reports...!??

Not sure where to go with this now as I know is not performing as it should - compared to my Macbook plus Snow Leaopard which was just peaking for overload on CPU reasons.

Thanks.

Maybe to the Genius Bar

That does sound wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about the console errors.

Logic does not use VST's - perhaps you mean AU (component) plugins? In any case, they should not be able to give you any trouble unless you are using them in a project.

I suspect it could be a hard drive problem - does the HD meter normally peak when it gives you the error? Do you have a backup drive that you could boot from to rule out the internal HD? Have you used Disk Utility to verify it?

Do you know if the previous owner may have installed something that is causing a conflict? I would be tempted to wipe the internal HD and start again.

Finally, is the laptop being vibrated when the error occurs?

Thanks for the reply involver -

in reply - the internal hard drive is partitioned with Boot Camp - I am about to wipe that off as I don't use MS Window.

It also came with a lot of software on the hard drive - most of which I won't use (yet), so I will maybe back it up then wipe it. Good idea. I don't have installation discs for the OSX 10.8.2, but do for 10.6.8 so will use that again, and copy the Logic 9 from the back up that I make. I think that should work.

I have disabled the Sudden Motion Sensor - and not being vibrated as far as I know, maybe a tiny bit.....!?

The HD meter is totally 100% peaking throughout recording (audio - hand claps... through internal mic) - when it crashes though that stops and simultaneously the CPU peaks (as per the screen shot attached earlier).

I will wipe internal HD later today and see if that helps.

Fingers x'd...

Ok, I've given it a very quick test - I('ve only got a USB 2 external drive and have tried it before, think it was slow/had error messages ) - however on this very quick test - handclapping again = NO HD peak or register even. So I will try again a bit later and see if that is more stable. Good temporary solution, but I think the peaking HD/crashes on internal HD is not a good sign?

The total capacity is 500 gb, the Apple part is 398 gb - 120 used, 277 unused ; the BootCamp part 101 gb - approx 40 gb used, 60 gb unused. So lots of space..

I've now copied the Apple disc and contents to an external hard drive, and just managed to do a quick trial using that to boot the MBP, and with Logic this a.m. (- the partition on the ext hard drive has only got approx 19 gb remaining space) - no error messages as yet - fairly high Disk I/O reading (at 75%) but assume this is due to the amount of space available on ext hard drive?

Will do a full trial with Logic and Mainstage later today - then think I need to wipe internal hard drive and do a fresh install of just OSx and Logic from the ext hard drive.

And invest in a fire-wire external hard drive for future use.

Any thoughts on this plan of action greatly appreciated, thanks.

Update:

I'm running the laptop from an external hard drive - it seems to have improved things a bit, I've done some short rehearsal tests on Mainstage - it seems more stable, no crashes.

Logic - is still crashing - with the same Sudden Motion Senor error sign - BUT the CPU and HD are not peaking before hand, when it does freeze the CPU peaks simultaneously - noticed it this evening on a starter project with just 2 software midi tracks using Logic instruments and 2 audio... aghhh this shouldn't be happening..!

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated. Could it be down to minimal space on external hard drive now, (19GB approx)?

Haven't managed to purchase a new external HD as yet to use, so still using the one with the bootable system on to record Logic projects onto, but not much space.

I am having the same problem as janeenurs. I've read through this thread and made the some of the suggested changes (threads to 8 instead of automatic, I/O buffer is set to 256, SMS is turned off, I placed the MacBook on a pad to isolate it from the desk it's sitting on). I too am only recording two tracks of audio with an EXS24 drum loop to play along too. The only thing I can think of is that the amount of vibration in the room is causing the problem. I'm playing through a 64 Fender Concert on 3, which is pretty loud as far as this amp goes. This is really frustrating because there are times when this isn't an issue at all at these volumes, and then times, like today, when every single take crapped out on me. All applications were closed, and all plugins were turned off except the EXS24.

Thanks for replies/comments:

@Eric Bradley - yes, sudden motion sensor turned off

@Eriksimon - I thought so re: GB, so I will sort this - put the OSx onto another ext hard drive with more free space and see if that improves things.

There is also a lot of software on the MBP that I am not using - I will remove that and see if that improves things too.

Will report back! Got an appt at Genius Bar booked too, not sure if that will help or not at this stage...

@Sculley - I've got buffer size at 1024 - I thought this was the best for this problem, but maybe I'm wrong on this one.

I will try that. Thanks. However, I don't quite understand how the buffer size would affect hard drive performance. It seems like more of a RAM thing to me.

Here's the update - I copied Logic (and internal hard drive) to an external hard drive using USB 2 connection.

Performance on Logic has improved, but marginally - Logic is still crashing with error messages =

System Overload.

The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time.

(-10011)

Sometimes the number value is -10009 or 10010

I am not happy, having paid a lot to upgrade Mac in order to secure a more stable music recording & live performing DAW platform - I have now got a less stable platform than with old set up - Logic 8 on Snow Leopard and a Mac circa 2007 with far less RAM.... crazy!

Next steps I will take: -

Will go to Genius bar to see if they have any clues.

Will get a firewire ext hard drive and put Logic on there to see if that improves situation

Will upgrade Logic when possible.

If all that fails will revert to using Logic 8 in Snow Moutain, perhaps on stripped back old MacBook...!

If anyone has any other suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

I can print system reports/logs or similar here if that would help??

• 1 month later...

Well it's gone on for a long time, I've posted other questions in similar threads and another thread was started for me called:

Re: Logic 9 crashing and unstable I"m not sure how to put a link into that sorry!

The update is that from what I've learnt from much searching is that ML and Logic 9.1.8 are not a very good combo; and Logic 9 is apparently much more CPU heavy than Logic 8.

So I've partitioned my internal HD and installed Snow Leaopard on that (let me know if you want guidance on how to do this - I followed someone's detailed guidance from another forum I can post a link - did already in one of my other posts in another similar thread on this forum too), and Logic 9.1.6 (not 9.1.8!) this took some doing to downgrade as it were from 9.1.8 but did it again following lots of forum advice elsewhere and can probably post a link for this too..! It has improved stability a bit, but not enough. So I've also purchased a FW external HD (720 I think speed wise, as opposed to the 500 odd one) and have the projects saved on that. It has improved - but I'm yet to do a full test as it were. - that happening later today, I will report back.

I've also visited the Genius Bar yesterday who checked the internal HD = all good. I was advised by the guy who was a bit up on Logic there to start bouncing the tracks in place also - to save on CPU - he also said that he only used SL for his Logic to run on and that he thinks ML generally not so stable for Logic....

Hope that helps.