CPU Overloading Like Crazy - All of a sudden!

noisenet

Hi All,

The title pretty much says it all - Out of nowhere, on multiple projects, I'm getting the dreaded CPU Overload/Stop Playback issue. I haven't changed anything in my setup. I'm running more plugins than I have in the past but the tracks on which these plugs reside are frozen.

The projects all contain Guitar and Bass guitar audio tracks and a MIDI track running Steven Slate Drums 3.5 in Kontakt Player 5. No other Virtual Instruments.

I've been woroking with this setup for quite some time now and never have I had this many problems.

Also. I'm getting a constant load on one processor core when Logic is doing nothing. Hell, it's doing it when Logic doesn't even have a project loaded! I'm attaching a screen grab. This was taken a few minutes after closing a project.

http://senesmusic.com/_test/CPU_Shot.png

I also sometimes get the Overload message when none of the cores are anywhere near peaking.

http://senesmusic.com/_test/Overload.png

This is happening with my buffer set at 512. I've tried increasing it to 1024 but it doesn't help in the least.

Process Buffer Range is set to Large.

Undo steps set to 15, I read somewhere having a large number of Undo steps also eats processing? Seems it would be a memory hog but dunno about processing.

No other apps running. Startup items contains only iTunesHelper and the Dropbox menubar app.

Looking through Console, I'm seeing this message multiple times:

"Logic Pro: CMsg buffer full! Should never happen. Generate fewer messages."

I have no idea what that means.

Anyhow, this is driving me nuts! Does anyone have any advice I can try? It's impossible to work like this!

Edited by noisenet

I just did a fresh start of Logic and loaded up the project I've been working with recently. On loading the app (and the Project) the CPU meter showed no activity. I played it for a few seconds then stopped it. The meter registered activity on two cores. I closed the project, the activity remained.

http://senesmusic.com/_test/Meter.png

This is a grab of my channel strips (It's wide so you might have to open the image in another tab/window to view it fully). All the tracks from Bass over to Lead 3 are frozen so the plugs in these channels should be inactive, correct?

http://senesmusic.com/_test/Channels.png

BTW, the second Compressor you'll see on the bass channel has the kick sidechained, basically to duck the bass on kick drum hits. For this song both the kick and the bass are in roughly the same freq range, splitting them up isn't sounding right, so....

Bypassed, Kontakt, almost no difference. I just went through and disabled other plugins. Didn't have the Bass channel frozen (all other guitars are frozen) so I also bypassed plugs on the bass channel. Lo and behold, the Chris Lorde Alge Bass plug was responsible for the majority of the one core's usage. Bypassed it and the core usage dropped. Perhaps that plug is responsible for a memory leak of some sort? Playing the project now and two cores are showing around 30% activity, one other core showing one segment light. Big difference!

Yeah there is LOL! I'm wondering, though... I've got the CLA Guitars plug on a bunch of guitar tracks, CLA drums on 2 or 3 drum tracks and on one or two subs for other uses, didn't seem to eat as much CPU on those as the one instance of CLA Bass on the bass track. That's why I was speculating there may be something happening there. I misspeculated earlier about a memory leak cause it's not a memory problem it's CPU usage.

That CPU resource hungry plugin, could it be 32bit one?

I am asking because I found that with some of my plugins, CPU resources get churned more heavily when run in 32bit while Logic being in 64bit...

I believe that this is one big flaw of Logic coding: managing intelligently CPU resources...