Importing midi files into LogicPro? [SOLVED]

KevinTJH

This is probably a really silly question to ask but I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I write alot of my MIDI ideas and drum parts on GuitarPro 6, and then export them into MIDI files.

Whenever I import those MIDI files into Logic Pro 9, the MIDI notes are greenon the piano roll as opposed to being yellow if I were to record them on Logic.

For instance, if say I import 4 bars of MIDI into the Grand Piano software instrument, the notes I imported will be green. If I then record more parts on the same track while already in Logic, the notes will be yellow. So the same track can have both green and yellow notes.

I've got absolutely no idea what the differences in colours are, but they sound no different to me.

Now here's my problem:

The same does not apply for MIDI drums. Whenever I import a MIDI drum track, the notes are green (instead of yellow) and they sound completely different from the selected software instrument.

Like instead of sounding like the Headbanger Kit (selected), the drums just sounds like a marching band. It just doesn't sound like anything it should be!

Does anyone have an explanation for this? How do I fix this?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Logic Pro Help, KevinTJH.

Please take a minute to read our forum rules and add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

Colors indicate velocity. The fact that your imported MIDI notes are all the same color means they had a fixed velocity when you exported them from Guitar Pro 6.

The fact that they have the same color when you record (yellow, in this case) means that whichever device you're using to input the notes is sending notes with a fixed velocity value (i.e no matter how hard you press the keys or pads or whatever they all are sent with the same velocity).

The same does not apply for MIDI drums. Whenever I import a MIDI drum track, the notes are green (instead of yellow) and they sound completely different from the selected software instrument.

Like instead of sounding like the Headbanger Kit (selected), the drums just sounds like a marching band. It just doesn't sound like anything it should be!

The velocities are too low for the sound you want to hear. Use the velocity tool in the piano roll or the velocity parameter in the region parameters box to increase the velocity.

J.

This is probably a really silly question to ask but I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I write a lot of my MIDI ideas and drum parts on GuitarPro 6, and then export them into MIDI files.

Whenever I import those MIDI files into Logic Pro 9, the MIDI notes are greenon the piano roll as opposed to being yellow if I were to record them on Logic.

For instance, if say I import 4 bars of MIDI into the Grand Piano software instrument, the notes I imported will be green. If I then record more parts on the same track while already in Logic, the notes will be yellow. So the same track can have both green and yellow notes.

I've got absolutely no idea what the differences in colours are, but they sound no different to me.

In the Piano Roll, you could set the meaning of the colors in the View menu. They could then reflect either each note distinct velocity (default setting), the region color the notes belong to (useful when you display different tracks/regions at once) or the MIDI channel they belong to. In your case I guess it could be related to either the MIDI channel or the region option...

Now here's my problem:

Does anyone have an explanation for this? How do I fix this?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense

This is a different issue (from the color one).

This has to do with the MIDI note assignment (for each percussion type) of the original track vs the one you have in Logic...

To fix this you would have to remap the drum sound using the Transform function.

Transform may be a little challenging at first glance but, once you get the gist of it, you will be amazed by its ease of use and power.

Of course, it first requires that you know to which percussion sound each MIDI note corresponds to from the original source, versus from the Logic (or the other destination plugin) you are intending to use.

Once you know i.e. that in the MIDI file the bassdrum is played by the C1 MIDI note and that in Logic it is actually played by the C3, it is just a matter of adjusting the Map accordingly in the Transform to do the changes automatically for you.

This is a different issue (from the color one).

This has to do with the MIDI note assignment (for each percussion type) of the original track vs the one you have in Logic...

To fix this you would have to remap the drum sound using the Transform function.

Transform may be a little challenging at first glance but, once you get the gist of it, you will be amazed by its ease of use and power.

Of course, it first requires that you know to which percussion sound each MIDI note corresponds to from the original source, versus from the Logic (or the other destination plugin) you are intending to use.

Once you know i.e. that in the MIDI file the bassdrum is played by the C1 MIDI note and that in Logic it is actually played by the C3, it is just a matter of adjusting the Map accordingly in the Transform to do the changes automatically for you.

Atlas, I think you're misinterpreting the problem.

instead of sounding like the Headbanger Kit (selected), the drums just sounds like a marching band.

That sounds like he's expecting to hear hard-hitting sounds from the headbanger kit, but the velocities are so low it sounds more like a marching band (i.e softer).

J.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Unfortunately I still can't find the answer to my problem.

Atlas, I think you're misinterpreting the problem.

instead of sounding like the Headbanger Kit (selected), the drums just sounds like a marching band.

That sounds like he's expecting to hear hard-hitting sounds from the headbanger kit, but the velocities are so low it sounds more like a marching band (i.e softer).

J.

Actually it's got nothing to do with volume or how soft it is.

The "marching band" sounding drums is actually as loud as a normal kit on Logic. The only thing is that it sounds odd (or I would say it sounds like s#!+).

It's really so odd.

I select the track that says Headbanger kit, I press CAPSLOCK to bring out the keyboard and every note I play on the keyboard sounds the way it should.

The track, however, when played (MIDI) sounds like a completely different instrument.

I select the track that says Headbanger kit, I press CAPSLOCK to bring out the keyboard and every note I play on the keyboard sounds the way it should.

The track, however, when played (MIDI) sounds like a completely different instrument.

So you are saying it sounds like it "should" when you play it with the Capslock keyboard, but when triggered by the notes in your region it sounds "different"...but it's the same instrument, right? Can you describe how different?

Have yo made sure the notes in the regions match the ones you're entering with the Capslock keyboard? If they don't match then you won't get the same sounds, because different notes trigger different sounds (what Atlas was talking about). If the notes do match, then the difference is in velocity.

If indeed the notes in the region are not triggering the sounds you want, you could easily fix this by transposing the notes. Just select notes in the piano roll and shift them up (or down) until you hear the sound you want those notes to trigger. Key commands Option+Up arrow and Option+Down Arrow are handy for this.

And please, add your Logic version and system info to your signature as per our forum rules. Thanks!

J.

So you are saying it sounds like it "should" when you play it with the Capslock keyboard, but when triggered by the notes in your region it sounds "different"...but it's the same instrument, right? Can you describe how different?

Have yo made sure the notes in the regions match the ones you're entering with the Capslock keyboard? If they don't match then you won't get the same sounds, because different notes trigger different sounds (what Atlas was talking about). If the notes do match, then the difference is in velocity.

If indeed the notes in the region are not triggering the sounds you want, you could easily fix this by transposing the notes. Just select notes in the piano roll and shift them up (or down) until you hear the sound you want those notes to trigger. Key commands Option+Up arrow and Option+Down Arrow are handy for this.

J.

Hmm... I get what you mean.

All the notes are in the right place. What I'm talking about is that the whole kit sounds different from what it's supposed to sound like. As in the snare, bass drum, high-hat and toms all sound completely different from the selected instrument.

Does velocity refer to volume?

In terms of volume, it's pretty much as loud as it should be, it just doesn't sound right.

I'm not sure how to attach Logic projects here, so I've just linked an mp3 of what the drums sounds like.

I've got the default Headbanger Kit (w/o plugins) selected. I can't even describe what it sounds like! Have a listen and you'll know what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jms73q0li8c0vbn/Drum%20issues.mp3

Thanks again for helping out. Really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how to attach Logic projects here, so I've just linked an mp3 of what the drums sounds like.

I've got the default Headbanger Kit (w/o plugins) selected. I can't even describe what it sounds like! Have a listen and you'll know what I mean.

I hear drums with no dynamics. Sounds like all notes have the same velocity.

Does velocity refer to volume?

Yes, but in the case of a multi-sampled instrument the timbre of each note will change. In other words, when you hit a real drum softly not only will it sound softer than when you hit it hard, its timbre will change...it will become brighter, tighter, etc

J.

I hear drums with no dynamics. Sounds like all notes have the same velocity.

What's the best way to go about fixing that?

Is there a way I could reset the settings such that importing a MIDI file would be no different from recording it straight from Logic's software instruments?

I've read a couple threads which mentioned pressing "Cmd + 0" to open up the Events List, and then deleting something called CC07 or something. I spent ages trying to figure that out and eventually gave up on it.

I've just attached the project file for the drums. Would you be able to have a quick look at it?

(I'm using Logic Pro 9, in case that makes a difference)

Thanks again!

Perfect Weapon Drums only.zip

What's the best way to go about fixing that?

First of all you'd need to have a MIDI file whose notes don't share exactly the same velocity. If Guitar Pro doesn't let you edit the velocities you might want to program your drums directly in Logic.

Secondly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to choose a better instrument. That headbanger kit (which is actually a garageband instrument) is a bit limited. It has 3 or 4 samples per note so there isn't much difference in sound when going from a low velocity to a medium velocity, for example.

The Studio Heavy Kit might be a better option. You might also find a free, decent kits for the EXS24 on the internet...if not, investing in a third party drum instrument like Superior Drummer, BFD2, or Addictive Drums is the best way to go.

I've read a couple threads which mentioned pressing "Cmd + 0" to open up the Events List, and then deleting something called CC07 or something. I spent ages trying to figure that out and eventually gave up on it.

"CC7" is MIDI control change message that controls volume. Logic's channel strip faders respond to this CC, so if it's present in your regions it will be a problem. But you don't have any of those in the region of the project you uploaded. All you have is notes and a Program Change event (which in this case is harmless, but you can go ahead and delete since you won't need it).

The Studio Heavy Kit might be a better option. You might also find a free, decent kits for the EXS24 on the internet...if not, investing in a third party drum instrument like Superior Drummer, BFD2, or Addictive Drums is the best way to go.

"CC7" is MIDI control change message that controls volume. Logic's channel strip faders respond to this CC, so if it's present in your regions it will be a problem. But you don't have any of those in the region of the project you uploaded. All you have is notes and a Program Change event (which in this case is harmless, but you can go ahead and delete since you won't need it).

I apologise for dragging on with this thread, but I'm still very confused here!

Changing the drums to a different kit makes the whole track sound different, but it still doesn't sound right. As in the CAPSLOCK keyboard sounds the way it should, but the MIDI notes still sound odd.

I've got Superior Drummer 2.0 on my iMac, but I'm currently overseas at the moment so I'm just trying to make the most out of what I've got here.

I'm just curious as to why the other instruments (strings, bass guitar, synthesizers) sound fine when I import those MIDI tracks, while I just can't seem to figure what's wrong with the drums.

When I open the "Events List", the only thing I can delete are the individual MIDI notes.

Is there any chance you could give me specific and very elaborate instructions on how to solve this problem?

I've also attached the MIDI drums file in case you'd like to have a go at it. (if you can get it to sound right with any of Logic's default drumkits, my problem has been solved!)

It feels as if the solution is really simple but I don't know why is Logic making it so hard for me... :?

Perfect W. Drums.mid.zip

I apologise for dragging on with this thread, but I'm still very confused here!

No worries! :)

Changing the drums to a different kit makes the whole track sound different, but it still doesn't sound right. As in the CAPSLOCK keyboard sounds the way it should, but the MIDI notes still sound odd.

Like I said before, the caps lock keyboard outputs notes at the same velocity, but this fixed velocity can be changed to different values using the bottom row of keys. What I'm getting at is that you shouldn't hear much of a difference between the capslock keys and the notes in the MIDI region, because both are using a fixed velocity for all notes. What you may notice is that for example, the notes coming from the Capslock keyboard may sound louder or softer in comparison, but still at a fixed velocity.

When I open the "Events List", the only thing I can delete are the individual MIDI notes.

There is a Program Change event on your region, the very first event. But like I said, you shouldn't worry about it as it has nothing to do with what you're experiencing.

Is there any chance you could give me specific and very elaborate instructions on how to solve this problem?

I've also attached the MIDI drums file in case you'd like to have a go at it. (if you can get it to sound right with any of Logic's default drumkits, my problem has been solved!)

You should really just open the piano roll and start editing the velocities with the velocity tool and the Transform window until it sounds right to you.

And one more thing I forgot to mention...the fact that the notes are quantized also contribute to their robotic feel. There's no groove whatsoever going on....don't know if that's what your going for though.

J.

You should really just open the piano roll and start editing the velocities with the velocity tool and the Transform window until it sounds right to you

I'm attaching a version after doing just that: editing velocities with the transform window's random velocity preset (except for the kick) + the velocity tool here and there. I used the pop kit.

Hopefully it sounds better to you and start experimenting with similar techniques yourself.

J.

Perfect W. Drums_dito.zip

FINALLY! That solved my problem!!

Thanks Jordito!

After putting up with this for so long, I've finally learned how to fix it.

By the way, last question:

When you mentioned Velocity in the Transform section, you're referring to "Fixed Velocity" aren't you?

What is the purpose of having "Select Only", "Operate Only" , and "Select & Operate"? Just curious

When you mentioned Velocity in the Transform section, you're referring to "Fixed Velocity" aren't you?

No. The notes in your MIDI region already had a fixed velocity. I used the Random Velocity preset (adjusting the range to my liking).

FINALLY! That solved my problem!!

Thanks Jordito!

After putting up with this for so long, I've finally learned how to fix it.

Glad to hear it solved the problem and that you learned something too! :)

Cheers,

J.

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

I imported some midi files into Logic and they play fine except for one thing:

The volume is always pinned to the max on those tracks (+6.0 db) and any time I lower the volume, upon playback the fader immediately returns to +6.0 db.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

- GK