Mac OS 10.8.4 is out.

A new version of Mountain Lion has been released.

The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 Update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:

• Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks
  • Microsoft Exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar
  • A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp
  • Improves VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents
  • Includes Safari 6.0.5, which improves stability for some websites with chat features and games
  • A fix for an issue that may cause iMessages to display out of order in Messages
  • Resolves an issue in which Calendars Birthdays may appear incorrectly in certain time zones
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent the desktop background picture from being preserved after restart
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent documents from being saved to a server using SMB
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent certain files from opening after copied to a volume named “Home"
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files made over NFS from displaying
  • Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications
  • Improves Active Directory log-in performance, especially for cached accounts or when using a .local domain
  • Improves OpenDirectory data replication
  • Improves 802.1X compatibility with ActiveDirectory networks
  • Improves compatibility when using mobile accounts

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

One thing that they fail to mention but that is interesting for us using Logic is that it installs the RountripAAC AU plug-in.

Sorry :oops: but I have to ask "What is and what does the RountripAAC AU plug-in do?"

It lets you compare your AAC encoded files with the original, to check your AAC encoded music (primarily for the iTunes store, but...)

http://images.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/docs/mastered_for_itunes.pdf

You can download it from:

http://images.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/docs/apple_audio_mastering_tools.zip

One thing that they fail to mention but that is interesting for us using Logic is that it installs the RountripAAC AU plug-in.

This has been present for a number of the MoutainLion updates, so not new.

This has been present for a number of the MoutainLion updates, so not new.

Yes you are right.

It seems to be the AAC Codec that has been updated.

I just noticed that the RountripAAC revalidated on my secondary system.

I get improved performance in Logic (and Cubase 7) in 10.8.4.

A test project shows around 15% lower CPU usage in 10.8.4 compared to 10.8.3.

Very nice :)

sorry, am skeptical. seems exactly the same to me (3 songs so far worked on in 10.8.4); am seeing NO difference...

anyone else?

Worked, on my latest project, for about 4 hours today (after upgrading to 10.8.4 last night); things seemed to be working ok... not sure about any significant performance improvements, but all was smooth running for me so far, on what has been one of my bigger, and a CPU taxing project (one core running in the red, and it had been giving me performance messages, from time to time, on 10.8.3), but I also made some changes, that might have relieved the CPU, as well :wink:

sorry, am skeptical. seems exactly the same to me (3 songs so far worked on in 10.8.4); am seeing NO difference...

anyone else?

I am sceptical too. And this is not scientific. I have a test project of 50 stereo tracks each with an Altiverb 7 inserted, default setting. I open Activity Monitor to watch CPU etc usage. Going from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 CPU usage went down from around average 400 to around average 320. Therefore my assumption...

If this is true and also for other plug-ins, this means performance in ML is now very close to SL. I have a SL partition and will check performance in that same project when I get some time over

anyone else?

I was able to add an instance of Wave Arts Tube Saturator (64-bit) to a busy 96 kHz project without experiencing a CPU overload: this was not possible on the same project in Mac OS X 10.8.3.

I am also not experiencing a GUI lag when inserting plug-ins during playback - this is also an improvement over Mac OS X 10.8.3.

am working on what is my most ambitious mix ever...LOTS of 3rd party synths, effects. LOTS. the cpu is maxed, and...stalls in the exact same places it was stalling in 10.8.3 (i can get thru it eventually).

so here, no perceivable difference between 10.8.3 and 10.8.4....

Did you check using Activity Monitor?

I used Evans Logic multi-core benchmark test. http://www.evan.se/logicprobenchmark/Logic_Multicore_Benchmark_Test.html

And it does show improved performance on my machine, I was able to reliably play back 57 tracks vs 46 on 10.8.3.

On Mountain lion I was getting 52 tracks.

I did change to a 750GB Momentus hybrid hard drive with 10.7.x

Now to check it out with real sessions.

:mrgreen:

I used Evans Logic multi-core benchmark test. http://www.evan.se/logicprobenchmark/Logic_Multicore_Benchmark_Test.html

And it does show improved performance on my machine, I was able to reliably play back 57 tracks vs 46 on 10.8.3.

On Mountain lion I was getting 52 tracks.

I did change to a 750GB Momentus hybrid hard drive with 10.7.x

Now to check it out with real sessions.

:mrgreen:

I just tried this using 10.6.8 vs 10.8.4, using two different but identical spec startup disks, both running Logic 9.1.8 on my 2008 8 core 2.8ghz MacPro.

10.6.8 - 62 tracks

10.8.4 - 67 tracks

I've been holding off on upgrading after all the issues with Logic and 10.8 but I am tempted now to take the plunge. On the 10.8.4 session I also loaded a Linear Phase EQ on the stereo output with analyzer on high resolution and noticed no lag or lack of responsiveness, then added a Slate VCC mix buss plug in as I know some people had problems as soon as certain Slate plug ins were inserted and everything still worked fine, so perhaps the glitches are finally ironed out?

I've been holding off on upgrading after all the issues with Logic and 10.8 but I am tempted now to take the plunge. On the 10.8.4 session I also loaded a Linear Phase EQ on the stereo output with analyzer on high resolution and noticed no lag or lack of responsiveness, then added a Slate VCC mix buss plug in as I know some people had problems as soon as certain Slate plug ins were inserted and everything still worked fine, so perhaps the glitches are finally ironed out?

I guess I've been lucky. Knock on wood. I haven't had any upgrade issues w/OSX or Logic.

But I do not have a lot of 3rd party plugins either. Just a few.

Clean 10.8.4 install. Everything little smoother, other than the meter on multipressor is now completely choppy (to a degree compressor as well). Seems like the only logic plugin suffering though.

Still got some plugins that turns gui unresponsive here and there but nothing too drastic vs earlier release... At this point I think it's safe to say they probably won't be fixing them any further anyhow. Still a disappointing release cycle of OSX for me vs 10.6.8.